spc
uniqs

Newbei67
@67.231.122.x

Newbei67 to John Galt6

Anon

to John Galt6

Re: community wireless network

I checked broadband Internet access, it looks like Verizon Fios is available at the Pittsburgh Student Achievement Center, what package should we aim for? This is the highest at $130 a month Speeds up to 300 Mbps/65 Mbps. Is that how we should be thinking about it?

clarknova
join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB

clarknova

Of course situations vary, but on the networks I'm familiar with (mix of mostly home users with some businesses), a good rule of thumb is 10-30x overprovisioning. In other words, if you have 1000 customers with a 10 Mbps connection each, then your minimum bandwidth need is calculated as:

1000*10/30=333

So you will probably need at least 333 Mbps of pipe to provide for peak usage in that scenario.

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6 to Newbei67

Premium Member

to Newbei67
said by Newbei67 :

I checked broadband Internet access, it looks like Verizon Fios is available at the Pittsburgh Student Achievement Center, what package should we aim for? This is the highest at $130 a month Speeds up to 300 Mbps/65 Mbps. Is that how we should be thinking about it?

Presuming Verizon allows you to use it as you intend to in this project, that would work.

Newbei67
@comcast.net

Newbei67

Anon

Yes, it will be interesting to see what Verizon thinks about it. I plan to encourage the youth to build some high power social capital in case they should need some convincing. Also interesting in the context of the FCC's idea of a public wireless network.