spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Numberless

@rr.com

[Other] 1-Voip / VYLMedia Inbound Number Issues

This past Sept or October our phone numbers with 1-Voip (previously Voip Your Life / VYLMedia) stopped working. After numerous calls and conversations apparently there was an issue with a number provider going out of business and a lawsuit about getting our number ported to another vendor (I don't know, this is what I've been told). Since that time no inbound calling works (caller gets a number has been disconnected message). Mind you, I wasn't porting to 1-voip as I had been a customer with a working number for over a year, they just "lost" my number. Is anyone here familiar with this issue or have any advice as to how I can get my service restored without losing my phone number that I've held for decades? I've been very patient but am feeling like I'm not getting the entire truth from what has previously been a very stand up company. I was told that switching and attempting a port could make things worse that they had resubmitted the port request but that was months ago. Outbound works fine just my number(s) are not working for inbound calls. Any help is truly appreciated!

Stewart

join:2005-07-13
kudos:24

Go to »www.alcazarnetworks.com/data_ser···_lrn.php and type in your number (including leading 1 and area code). Check the Extended box and report who the LEC is. If it's a major one, e.g. Level 3, Bandwidth.com, Paetec, XO, etc., you should have no trouble porting that number to another VoIP provider.

Numberless

@rr.com

GLOBAL CROSSING LOCAL SERVICES, INC.-OH

I'm guessing not a big one? It just amazes me that my number can suddenly go out of service and be gone. It's not like it was disconnected because I didn't pay a bill or something, it just stopped working and inbound calls go to disconnected messages. I'm surprised other people haven't posted on this issue unless 1-Voip/VYLMedia is really that small of a company. *sigh* Thank you for your help though, at least I have a bit more info than I previously did which is always a good thing.

Stewart

join:2005-07-13
kudos:24

IMO, you're fine. Global Crossing is a big outfit and it appears that they have ~800,000 numbers in Ohio. See »www.telcodata.us/search-area-cod···state=OH

Find a provider you like and ask whether they can port the number. IMO there is no significant risk by trying.

thehotsauce

join:2013-02-05

Is there a way to check and see if my number is still owned by me / listed under me? I'm concerned I'll try a number port and my number will be lost forever if it's denied. Right now it just rings as disconnected and I can't get info worth anything from 1-Voip on a status.

Gershom 1624

@optonline.net

1-Voip (formerly VoipYourLife or VYL-Media) used the CLEC called RNK for most of their phone numbers (DID's).
Ref:
»www.1-voip.com/news_rnk-telecom-···ment.php

RNK was bought by Wave2Wave. Last year both Wave2Wave and their RNK subsidiary went into bankruptcy. Perhaps that's what VYL was telling you.
Ref:
»www.njtechweekly.com/index.php/h···s-emerge

You say that your number now shows as Global Crossing. Actually, in 2011 Global Crossing was bought by Level (3) which is a very large CLEC.
Ref:
»www.level3globalcrossingacquisition.com/

This past Sept or October our phone numbers with 1-Voip (previously Voip Your Life / VYLMedia) stopped working....

....I was told that switching and attempting a port could make things worse that they had resubmitted the port request but that was months ago. Outbound works fine just my number(s) are not working for inbound calls. Any help is truly appreciated!

Sorry to hear that, but in point of fact if your phone number (DID) has not worked for about 4-5 MONTHS then pretty much anybody who needs to contact you has figured out some other way to do so, such as other phone numbers.

In other words, after such a long time your number has lost much (if not most) of its usefulness to you. Isn't that so?

That being the case, there is really nothing to lose by doing a port.

And if VoipYourLife (what an AWFUL name, that alone bespeaks a poorly conceived company) has not restored your service after several months, it's not going to happen. Like when you have six dates with a woman and she still won't do a goodnight kiss.

There are similar stories on the TeleBlend forum on this website....

But in fact, doing a port will NOT result in your losing a number, assuming that you haven't already lost it. If a port is rejected, the net effect will simply be the status quo.

Pick a good provider with good customer service and a good porting process, such as CallCentric, Anveo, Voip.MS, etc.

Let them do their work, and see from there.

Again, at the very worst you won't be any worse off than now....
Expand your moderator at work

VYLmedia

join:2013-02-11
Oklahoma City, OK
reply to Numberless

Re: [Other] 1-Voip / VYLMedia Inbound Number Issues

Although phone numbers are still affected by the inbound outage, we are now down to less than 100 affected numbers. We have received an estimated port date of February 28th for a large batch of these numbers. We know this has been a long and frustrating process for our customers, but we will continue to work diligently toward a solution.

As always, please do not hesitate to call our Customer Service at 888-369-8647 with any questions or concerns you may have.