Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

seaman
Premium
join:2000-12-08
Seattle, WA

Slingbox to a boat over LTE

I am trying to reach the following objective: User wants to access slingbox on his boat's LCD TV using his cell phone provider and laptop OR cell phone provider and "hot spot" device. User already has the following equipment/services-

Comcast residential (at home)
Slingbox (at home)
Tmobile smartphone
HP ENVY Ultrabook™ 4-1130us 14" Laptop
LCD TV (on boat)

Initial thoughts- user is open to leaving Tmobile for AT&T or Verizon. I am trying to determine what is the best combination service/equipment to acheive the best video (football, basketball, golf, etc.) display. Roaming area is basically the Puguet Sound in Pacific NW. TIA for any suggestions!

Michail
Premium
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL
kudos:1

Would something like DirecTV be a better option?

join:2013-01-22
USA
reply to seaman

How bad is the latency on their cell service? How susceptible is slingbox to bad latency?

seaman
Premium
Seattle, WA

said by 87062379:

How bad is the latency on their cell service? How susceptible is slingbox to bad latency?

Good question. I guess I can test that by setting his phone's broswer to pingtest.net.

seaman
Premium
Seattle, WA
reply to seaman

Looks the fastest pipe around here is the Verizon Jetpack hotspot device paired with an iPhone5 or Samsung Galaxy and a 10GB shared data plan ~$160 a month.

tdumaine
Premium
join:2004-03-14
Seattle, WA

said by seaman:

Looks the fastest pipe around here is the Verizon Jetpack hotspot device paired with an iPhone5 or Samsung Galaxy and a 10GB shared data plan ~$160 a month.

and video will eat right thru that 10gb so fast your head will spin

Optimized
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2004-13
join:2001-05-03
Ringwood, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to seaman

If it is just for a few games a month and you can get a decent LTE connection it may be doable. I often access my sling box remotely while traveling or just out locally during football season over solid AT&T 4G connections with success.

With that being said ... $160 a month? Is that really worth it? I'd throw the DirecTV suggestion out there a second time. »www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/t···rs/boats

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO
reply to 87062379

said by 87062379:

I can't speak for slingbox but the Monsoon version (vulkano) latency doesn't really matter... just stable sustained streams matter.

Some might say... "but the remote response will be bad with high latency"... which is true... but.. the real lag is caused by the conversion time from the settop to the placeshifter... even 300 ms lag wont stand out more than the conversion lag.