join:2001-06-01
Outland
kudos:2
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..

[RANT] Amazon sales tax comes to Connecticut ...

Connecticut has been able to persuade Amazon to collect it's sales tax. Starting November 1. »www.governor.ct.gov/malloy/cwp/v···Q=518224
--
"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand." - Milton Friedman"

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium
join:2001-07-23
West Hartford, CT
kudos:1

So, Amazon finally caved in to CT DRS?

Bright side:

So I can stop adding up all my Amazon purchases when I file my Sales and Use Tax return? Less paperwork for me.

I suppose if I missed the paperwork, I could always fax or e-mail Amazon a copy of my tax ID. That way I could hold on to the money for the items I resold until the next time I filed.

Maybe I can open an Amazon reseller account now. Amazon wasn't allowing any reseller accounts in CT until this was cleared up.

Not-bright side:

CT could find something else to tax. Maybe luxury yachts?

pandora
Premium
Outland
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..

said by DrStrange:

CT could find something else to tax. Maybe luxury yachts?

More likely food, toilet paper, medical care, prescription drugs?
--
"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand." - Milton Friedman"

gregamy

join:2003-05-22
Middletown, CT
reply to pandora

This is why Amazon is supporting a nationwide Internet sales tax: so that they only have to deal with one government agency instead of hundreds (state, local, city, county, etc). CT is easy, no local/city sales taxes...and it's no skin off their teeth (people will still buy online, "brick-and-mortar, Main Street, Mom-and-Pop" won't see any more business).

I notice a lot of platitudes, but no details what "investment in Connecticut" and "creating hundreds of jobs" means. Smells like meaningless BS double-talk to me...what "facility" are they talking about?

orion940
Attractive like a magnet
Premium
join:2001-12-23
Windsor, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to pandora

Amazon is opening up a distribution center here. It's not that they caved in, they were offered a tax break proposal to come here that they couldn't refuse. It's bringing jobs here. As much as Malloy is an idiot, he did score a win for the state on this. Since they have a business presence here, they have to charge sales tax.

Everyone's all whipped up that this is going to be great for business owners in CT that compete with Amazon. LOL.. good luck with that. Amazon "delivers", has great customer service, and for the most part, is cheaper than any brick and mortar store.

O.
--
Windsor, Home of the Decorative Zamboni

pandora
Premium
Outland
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..

said by orion940:

Amazon "delivers", has great customer service, and for the most part, is cheaper than any brick and mortar store.

That is true ... B&M isn't going to get any benefit from the sales tax on Amazon. However Connecticut Amazon customers will lose 6.35% off the value of their purchases compared to their historical savings ... the state will get a windfall without needing to provide much in the way of services.

Something for nothing will help Malloy for a bit ... but his spending appetite can't be sated with any taxable income from anything in Connecticut.
--

Grumpy
Premium
join:2001-07-28
NW CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T Yahoo
·Callcentric

1 recommendation

reply to gregamy

said by gregamy:

This is why Amazon is supporting a nationwide Internet sales tax:

Which "we" should have begun working on at least 13 years ago,
but then again "we" can't even manage our own federal budget
beyond nah nah boo boo you didn't vote for my _____________
so it's another x years of 0 progress.

A bit unsettling to live in a country that accomplished more in shorter time frames 3 and 4 hundred years ago, when communications moved at the speed of horse.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1
reply to orion940

said by orion940:

Amazon is opening up a distribution center here.

Where at? I would still order from Amazon for CS and prime.