spc
uniqs

Jerm
join:2000-04-10
Richland, WA
·Ziply Fiber

Jerm to brianiscool

to brianiscool

Re: Large download speed increase, but upload is terrible.

said by brianiscool:

When will their speeds be at least 50, 75 and up for their upload?

HA.

When they start channel bonding more. Right now an upstream channel has ~27mbps after overhead SHARED between all users on the RF binder group (or "node" used loosely).

Most systems today are 4 downstream channels (152mbps after overhead) and 1 upstream (27mbps). The problem is people leave torrents running or stream their slingbox all day long, so it can be really easy to fill your whole upstream pipe 24/7 where most people will run out of hard drive space eventually and downstream isn't a 24/7/365 100% use threat...

Just FWIW I expected this to happen, as there is little incentive for me to purchase 30mbps service from Charter when my 15mbps powerboosts to 3/4th that on a regular basis...
prairiesky
join:2008-12-08
canada

prairiesky

Add in that download is much more sellable and needed. If a free channel became available, it's use is more valuable as a download channel than an upload.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by prairiesky:

Add in that download is much more sellable and needed. If a free channel became available, it's use is more valuable as a download channel than an upload.

The channels don't work like that and there are a lot more people wanting faster upload speeds than there are that want 100+ Mbps download speeds.

Jerm
join:2000-04-10
Richland, WA
·Ziply Fiber

Jerm to prairiesky

to prairiesky
said by prairiesky:

If a free channel became available, it's use is more valuable as a download channel than an upload.

Upload is generally 5-42Mhz. Downstream is generally 600-700mhz.

You can't just substitute one for the other... cable plants act very differently downstream vs upstream.

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870 to Jerm

to Jerm
said by Jerm:

said by brianiscool:

When will their speeds be at least 50, 75 and up for their upload?

HA.

When they start channel bonding more. Right now an upstream channel has ~27mbps after overhead SHARED between all users on the RF binder group (or "node" used loosely).

Most systems today are 4 downstream channels (152mbps after overhead) and 1 upstream (27mbps). The problem is people leave torrents running or stream their slingbox all day long, so it can be really easy to fill your whole upstream pipe 24/7 where most people will run out of hard drive space eventually and downstream isn't a 24/7/365 100% use threat...

Just FWIW I expected this to happen, as there is little incentive for me to purchase 30mbps service from Charter when my 15mbps powerboosts to 3/4th that on a regular basis...

well actually there is channels on the upstream that do not provide 27Mbps net. I know that the TWC system I am on has 4 upstream channels that are 3.2MHz wide QAM16/QAM64 mixed mode that have a max of 15Mbps per channel and they (Time Warner Cable) are bonding them here and most of the time my modem is connected to the QAM64 profile but sometimes it will degrade to QAM16 for short periods if there is noise on the line. Right now TWC is using in the Dallas cluster (North Texas) for upstream:

24.5MHz
29.5MHz
33MHz
36.5MHz

so right now each node has 60Mbps roughly on the upstream to give out to each customer and the fastest they offer right now on the upload is 5Mbps for their 30 Mbps, 50Mbps, and 75Mbps tiers and this is with upstream bonding so the chances of getting a solid 5Mbps upload a great right now as they are limiting the upload to 5Mbps. I am hearing that TWC is planning on increasing the top tier to 100Mbps down and 20Mbps or 25Mbps up in my area. But that is a few months off as they are having to remove additional analogs on the downstream side so they can move from 6 to 8 downstreams for the DOCSIS channels and possibly make some of the upstreams 6.4MHz wide channels.
motorola870

motorola870 to Jerm

to Jerm
said by Jerm:

said by prairiesky:

If a free channel became available, it's use is more valuable as a download channel than an upload.

Upload is generally 5-42Mhz. Downstream is generally 600-700mhz.

You can't just substitute one for the other... cable plants act very differently downstream vs upstream.

in reality the downstream channels can be placed from 57MHz to 999MHz if the cable company wanted to place them anywhere but they would have to have 1GHz gear to put channels higher than 861MHz. I know in my area the downstream channels are in the 780MHz to 816MHz range right now.