how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

da_guy2

join:2003-06-10
Kanata, ON

Considering an ISP switch... need some opinions

Currently I'm on Teksavvy Cable 18/512k, but I want more upload. I know I'll be upgraded to 25/2 eventually, but francly I want more and I want it sooner. So I was considering switching to DSL 25/10. Because I'd need dry loop the cost from Teksavvy would be ~$70/month which is a lot more than I'm paying at the moment, so much so that I don't think I could justify it. Then I saw that electronicsbox.net is offering free dry loop, so in the end I'd only be paying $56/month which is a lot more reasonable.

So two questions

1) Do you think $16/month extra is worth and extra 8 mbps upload?

2) Do you think I should jump ship from teksavvy to electronicsbox? I don't know a lot about them but their reviews seem OK.

creed3020
Premium
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
I'm a similar spot as you on TSI Cable 28.1. The demand for greater upload speed is here and the wait for higher upload on cable just got longer as we wait for TSI to go aggregated POI. We all know it's going to be a slow evolution to APOI and it will be a game of roulette as to when your POI gets chosen to migrate, therefore, the wait time is unknown.

EBOX 25/10 is where I would be heading if I was making a switch as the dry loop fee charged by TSI is a roadblock for me in terms of cost. EBOX does have a much longer unlimited period too so you can offset your usage and really get practically unlimited service for less.

Least cost for you would be to go to Start. You can do a TPIA transfer as save some $$$ that way. You'd be able to get more upload and not sacrifice your already purchased modem in the process.

da_guy2

Kanata, ON
said by creed3020:

Least cost for you would be to go to Start. You can do a TPIA transfer as save some $$$ that way. You'd be able to get more upload and not sacrifice your already purchased modem in the process.

To be honest I'm still using a docsis 2.0 modem so I'd need to upgrade that anyway. Also, yes the cost at start would be less than going with ebox, but the upload speed is 5x faster with ebox. Plus I'm in the Ottawa area which is supposed to be getting the upgrade fairly early, so if I don't go with ebox I think I'd just wait it out with teksavvy.

coaxguy

join:2009-07-29
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
·Start Communicat..
reply to da_guy2
said by da_guy2:

So two questions

1) Do you think $16/month extra is worth and extra 8 mbps upload?

2) Do you think I should jump ship from teksavvy to electronicsbox? I don't know a lot about them but their reviews seem OK.

The real question is WHY do YOU need the extra upload? Do you do any hosting or FTP servers from home? Always using P2P applications and want to contribute more?

Basically ask, will the price jump benefit you in ANY way at the present moment. If not, stay where youre at.

da_guy2

Kanata, ON
said by coaxguy:

The real question is WHY do YOU need the extra upload? Do you do any hosting or FTP servers from home? Always using P2P applications and want to contribute more?

Basically ask, will the price jump benefit you in ANY way at the present moment. If not, stay where youre at.

For me right now the added upload would be for
1) Online backup of my data. (Currently I produce it faster than I can upload it)
2) Remote login to my PC's while away from home
3) Uploading of picture/videos to online sites

I guess it would be nice to see if I can do all those things with 2 mbps upload speeds, but to do that I'm going to need to wait a while and buy a docsis 3.0 modem, which I'd rather not do if I don't have to.

ChuckcZar

@teksavvy.com
reply to da_guy2
You'd be at the fate of the Gods since everything on dsl reports states problems to do with all types of internet in Ottawa making it the number one city in Ontario for internet problems per capita.

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1
said by ChuckcZar :

You'd be at the fate of the Gods since everything on dsl reports states problems to do with all types of internet in Ottawa making it the number one city in Ontario for internet problems per capita.

Shoo, troll.

mlord

join:2006-11-05
Nepean, ON
kudos:13
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to da_guy2
said by da_guy2:

yes the cost at start would be less than going with ebox, but the upload speed is 5x faster with ebox.

Start.ca currently offers 4mbit/sec upload.
I didn't realize that ebox has 5X (20mbit/sec) upload. Which plan is that?

Assuming Rogers responds to the CRTC demand to post a full set of TPIA tarrifs by the end of February, one could reasonably expect to see Start.ca offering even higher (7mbit/sec) upload speeds by the end of March or so, at added cost though.

Dunlop

join:2011-07-13
kudos:2
reply to da_guy2
Remember that it is UP TO 15/10 if you have FTTN. I'm only getting 1.5 upload and if you read the small print they only guaranty 680 Kbps (as per the Bell site)

So you will take an expensive risk for potentially no gain