Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

MovieLover76

join:2009-09-11
kudos:1

1 edit

Eh

Given that AT&T doesn't directly control or even in some cases control at all the software on smartphones, I have to say I understand mandatory data plans. better they automatically put you on a plan, than someone swaps sims to a smartphone and they charge you at 1.99/mb for the GB of data you use in a month. I'm sure this case is far more prevalent than those trying to use a smart phone will skipping a data plan.

Maybe it's just me, but having a smartphone without a data plan is somewhat useless. I know people are going to argue this point, but these companies don't lift a finger to accommodate every user profile, they are looking at the average user.

Network Guy
Premium
join:2000-08-25
New York
kudos:2

If this "automatic" enrollment of a data plan just renewed his contract for another 2 years, that ought to be illegal. If not, he's free to leave. That's what I would have done to begin with.

MovieLover76

No it shouldn't be able to renew your contract, if it triggers that it needs to stop. But I'm not sure that's what AT&T actually does. I've changed minutes, messaging and data on AT&T before without renewing a contract.

Network Guy
Premium
join:2000-08-25
New York
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Future Nine Corp..
·T-Mobile US
·Optimum Online

Guess AT&T is different.

Sprint used to renew the agreement for another 2 years whenever I'd switch plans. There's no changing minutes at Sprint, just plans.

The data and messaging components were add-ons though, didn't affect agreement.

Murph1

join:2005-09-02
New London, CT
reply to MovieLover76

said by MovieLover76:

Maybe it's just me, but having a smartphone without a data plan is somewhat useless.

I've often wondered if I could get by without a data plan. My house, my job, the gym, girlfriend's house, numerous bars, restaurants, etc. all have wifi.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to MovieLover76

said by MovieLover76:

Maybe it's just me, but having a smartphone without a data plan is somewhat useless.

Not true for a lot of people. They use WiFi almost exclusively for data needs on their smartphones. And if you use IMs from Facebook, Apple, etc instead of txt msgs there is no real need to have a data plan. Most phones let you disable data over the cell network.
--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.

en103

join:2011-05-02
reply to Network Guy

Not really... he can still use a 'non smartphone' without a data plan. The contract is/was on the 'voice plan' for 2 years. Dataplans are required for smartphones on 'American Thieves and Thugs'.

Boricua
Premium
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto
reply to Murph1

said by Murph1:

said by MovieLover76:

I've often wondered if I could get by without a data plan. My house, my job, the gym, girlfriend's house, numerous bars, restaurants, etc. all have wifi.

I can definitely get by without the data plan. I really don't care for it, no matter what the justification. I already have a desktop, a laptop and tablet. The only reason I would want a smart phone is for the better graphics to watch a movie that re-encode to be played on a Samsung GSIII (what I want).
--
Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian. Robert Orben

MovieLover76

reply to Murph1

Well for me the biggest utility of a smartphone, relies on the data plan and GPS, looking up restaurants, things to do etc on the go. Looking up something I need on the web when I'm out.

Anyone could get by without a data plan, until 6 years ago almost none of us had one, but it sure makes a busy life easier, and that benefit really needs a data plan.

Having to look for wifi, just kills most of those immediate perks.

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH
reply to MovieLover76

Exactly. Smartphones without data plans are useless. Also, it didn't extend his contract, it just continues on under whatever contract he was on. If he doesn't want to buy a data plan, then he needs to switch to an appropriate device that doesn't require one.

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

A smartphone without a data plan is plenty useful. Millions of people who work in dense urban areas and use public transportation are probably never without WiFi. It's been a while since I've been to San Francisco (~2005) but even back then there was a free wireless network available. Instead of paying the hotel's ridiculous data fees I just used my laptop next to the window.

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
reply to BiggA

Not true. I have an HTC Incredible that was given to me due to her switching providers (she went to ST).

I rooted it, threw on CM10, and it's currently a WiFi Phone. It runs rather nicely. I have an old HTC Hero (CDMA) running CM7 and it's doing the same thing. Both run nice and smooth.

Unfortunately, I can't do squat with my D2G. They locked the damn thing down so tight that development for ROMs is nil. Worst purchase ever.
--
Bresnan 30M/5M | CenturyLink 5M/896K
MyWS[PnmIIX3@3.2G,8G RAM,500G+1.5T+2T HDDs,Win7]
WifeWS[A64@2G,2G RAM,120G HDD,Win7]
Router[2xP3@1G,2G RAM,18G HDD,Allied Telesyn AT2560FX,2xDigital DE504,Sun X1034A,2xSun X4444A,SMC 8432BTA,Gentoo]

Riusaki

join:2000-09-14
Space
reply to MovieLover76

AT&T only renews your contract when you buy a subsidized phone. You can change your plan and features at anytime. If you are any kind of grandfathered plan or feature you cannot get back if you switch or remove it.
--
Make the homies say HO and the girlies wanna SCREAM!

Expand your moderator at work

BiggA

EARTH
reply to rradina

Re: Eh

That's connectivity here and there, not persistent connectivity like a smartphone is designed to work with.

rradina

Chesterfield, MO

An iPod is the same thing without the phone and millions of folks love them despite having only WiFi connectivity. Next?

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT

said by rradina:

An iPod is the same thing without the phone and millions of folks love them despite having only WiFi connectivity.

Same with the Samsung Galaxy Player's. It's a Samsung Galaxy without the CDMA/GSM module, antennas, or SIM card readers.

BiggA

EARTH
reply to rradina

Then get one of those if you don't want to pay for a data plan.

rradina

Chesterfield, MO

But some folks might want voice everywhere, but not data. So they have to buy a feature phone, get voice everywhere and then carry an iPod for everything else they want in their pocket? Is this your position?

BiggA

EARTH

Correct. Really, everyone should have a smartphone though. They are so essential these days. And what makes them useful is their persistent data connection.

rradina

Chesterfield, MO

1 recommendation

We'll just have to disagree. A persistent data connection makes them more useful but to say they are useless without one doesn't make sense to me. Further, to have a carrier require a data plan based on the phone is an indication that more competition or regulation is needed.

Can you imagine cable companies forcing folks to subscribe to an HD package because they own an HD-capable TV?

BiggA

EARTH

They do require you to get an HD package in order to get an HD box. It's a terrible idea to let people have smartphones with PPU data, and then they come in crying when they have a ridiculous phone bill.

rradina

Chesterfield, MO

Requiring an HD package to get an HD box means you want HD channels.

PPU: That's still forcing a data plan on smart phone users. The issue is smart phone owners should be able to have a voice-only plan.

BiggA

EARTH

No they shouldn't. That's a support nightmare, and there's no reason to do that in the first place. The point of the smartphone is persistant data.

rradina

Chesterfield, MO

We just disagree and if the carriers continue with the same approach, they might be faced with regulation.

It isn't a support nightmare unless the carriers do something boneheaded like allow data transfer without a data plan and thus the thousand dollar surprise bill at the end of the month. If that's what they do then they have created their own support nightmare.

BiggA

EARTH

AT&T's system blocks MMS when you block data, because they use the same APN. Also, why would they spend money to support something that decreases revenue by a tiny amount in order to support a minuscule but vocal minority? It makes no sense, and the whiners just need to shut up and get with the program.

rradina

Chesterfield, MO

No data plan, no MMS. No extra cost. A paying customer is a good thing and if they don't want data but they are willing to pay a bit more for a voice plan with no data (but obviously less than voice + data or why bother), that's money in the bank. Why wouldn't a carrier want a profitable, paying customer?

BiggA

EARTH

OTOH, they probably are able to push more people up to the $20 data plan than they lose, so they end up making more money, the people have a better user experience, everyone wins.

rradina

Chesterfield, MO

Perhaps but lots of folks are defecting to MVNOs. Other than the horrid iPhone issues (having to use a T-Mobile SIM to setup the APN), it's the same network, just a lot cheaper. If the MVNO is still making money, wow, ATT is making a killing.

Given all the snow... sing this to Walking in a Winter Wonderland.

Regulation ringing, are you listening. More expensive plans, carriers are christening. A beautiful sight, we're happy tonight. Baby bells are being born again

BiggA

EARTH

MVNOs have data service, so it wouldn't be getting around the requirement for a data plan.