spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

tanzam75

join:2012-07-19
reply to gigahurtz

Re: I don't like the mandatory data plan, but...

said by gigahurtz:

It should be considerably less than what you're paying with AT&T and the service should be decent. Unfortunately, the only way the consumer can send a message is if they talk with their wallets.

"Math is hard. Let's go shopping!"

Consumers generally cannot do math. That's why they get fleeced.

If they could, then it would not have taken until this year for T-Mobile's no-subsidy plans to take hold. And prepaid would be far more popular than it is.

Lone Wolf
Retired
Premium
join:2001-12-30
USA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

said by tanzam75:

Even funnier than the math game with data plans is the math game with subsidized phones. People are paying up to $1600 for a $400 phone because they bought a subsidized phone for $1 ( or so they thought).
--
Another 4 years of Hope and Change.
The rich will still get richer and the poor get an Obamaphone and Food Stamps. lol

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state
reply to tanzam75

I think the real issue is that the best smartphones are usually on at&t and verizon..

antennaman19

join:2010-01-18
Painesville, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to tanzam75

said by tanzam75:

said by gigahurtz:

It should be considerably less than what you're paying with AT&T and the service should be decent. Unfortunately, the only way the consumer can send a message is if they talk with their wallets.

If they could, then it would not have taken until this year for T-Mobile's no-subsidy plans to take hold. And prepaid would be far more popular than it is.

If you got the exact same network footprint as the contract side, it would be a no-brainer.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

1 recommendation

reply to tanzam75

The reason is simple, Americans buy everything on credit and are mortgaged to the hilt. They want the shiny new phone, but they aren't coming up with $400-$600 for it. However, those "Free" or $20 or $49 phones (Plus a two year contract) mean instant gratification now. That's the real reason more people haven't adopted prepaid.

For example, I bought a new GS3 off a guy on Craigslist for $480. I have a $30+tax prepaid plan. So, assuming I only used the phone for two years and then replaced it, that would be $20 a month + service. Contrast that to a 2 year contract where I pay $79 a month for similar service but get the phone for free... still cost me an additional $696 over prepaid--- and if I keep it for longer then 2 years, the numbers get dramatically better still.

The catch is, of course, you have to come up with that $480 upfront.... and you can't insure your phone. Break it or get robbed and you're out the money. Still for me pre-paid is a no brainer.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to Lone Wolf

said by Lone Wolf:

Even funnier than the math game with data plans is the math game with subsidized phones. People are paying up to $1600 for a $400 phone because they bought a subsidized phone for $1 ( or so they thought).

Can you give an example, please?

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
Fort Wayne, IN
reply to KrK

said by KrK:

For example, I bought a new GS3 off a guy on Craigslist for $480. I have a $30+tax prepaid plan. So, assuming I only used the phone for two years and then replaced it, that would be $20 a month + service.

Or you can go say with T-Mobile Value plan where a GS3 costs $99 up front and $20 a month for 20 months for a total of $499 or...$20.79 over 24 months + the price of service. So it requires $380 less up front but $19 over the 2 year contract.

No it's not $30, but you also aren't comparing plans apples to apples. If a $30 plan suits you, that's great. But some people want or need more minutes or data.

Lone Wolf
Retired
Premium
join:2001-12-30
USA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

1 recommendation

reply to cdru

said by cdru:

said by Lone Wolf:

Here's a quick example.

»Does Anybody Ever Look At What They're Buying?

I just went to the verizon site and entered all of the info to purchase the 16gb Siii with 2gb data and unlimited talk/text.

It came to $200 for the phone and $120 monthly for the service.

Now comes the fun!

120 month x 24 months = $2880 add $200 for the phone and you have spent $3080 plus taxes and other fees for 2 years for cell phone and service.

I can buy the phone outright anywhere for around $600 without a service plan. Personally I would only buy a GSM phone (worldwide) rather than the CDMA model (US only). Then I would buy an unlimited everything service plan from an MVNO for between $40 to $60 monthly.

$50 month x 24 months = $1200 plus $600 for the phone and I will have spent $1800 (no taxes or anything else added) for 2 years for cell phone and service.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
reply to cdru

Yes, that is another option, but again you're in for the two years, pay $579 for the phone. It's a good middle ground option, T-mobile seems to be more flexible with it's offerings than either Verizon or AT&T, but of course their service isn't nearly as universal.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
Fort Wayne, IN
reply to Lone Wolf

said by Lone Wolf:

said by cdru:

said by Lone Wolf:

Here's a quick example.

»Does Anybody Ever Look At What They're Buying?

But that example is not what you said. You said they are paying $400 for a phone, but then you use a $600 phone as an example.

Your plan pricing might have been correct when you posted your message, but 2GB data+unlimited voice on Verizon is now $100+taxes/fees.

Your $40-60 MVNO plan doesn't include LTE data as Verizon's does. And depending on which MVNO you go with, you may be stuck with just 3g speeds, not even HSPA+.

Also depending on which MVNO, data or voice coverage may be less then what a MNO's coverage is, due to the MVNO not having the same roaming agreements or favoring one network over one that has a better signal at a location.

Going with a carrier directly isn't a requirement for everyone. But a MVNO doesn't meet everyone's requirements either. Just saying people are paying $1600 for a phone is a little bit of a characterization of the situation.

notambiguous

join:2005-03-24

1 recommendation

reply to KrK

said by KrK:

The reason is simple, Americans buy everything on credit and are mortgaged to the hilt.

Not this American. We use Verizon mainly because they have coverage in the places we need it.

Walk into a Verizon store, point at a phone and ask "I want to just buy that phone outright so how much is the monthly plan cost?" vs "I want that phone but don't want to pay up front so how much is the monthly plan?" or "I have this phone I want to use, how much is the monthly plan?". Then note there is no difference in monthly cost. Carriers like Verizon are quite disingenuous about phone subsidies.