how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dru06

@rr.com

Layer 3 switching

hi,

i have a question that i would like to know the answer to and why. if i have a router connected to a layer3 switch that is doing routing and from that switch i go to a computer. on that computer what would the gateway be? the router or the switch? if this is answered else where please let me know. thank you

tomdlgns
Premium
join:2003-03-21
Chicago, IL
kudos:1

sounds like a homework question.

dru06

@rr.com

ya its kind of a hard one to look for and without having the equipment makes it harder =/ just wanted to know if someone out there had any experience with this.

cablegeek01

join:2003-05-13
USA
kudos:1
reply to dru06

said by dru06 :

hi,

i have a question that i would like to know the answer to and why. if i have a router connected to a layer3 switch that is doing routing and from that switch i go to a computer. on that computer what would the gateway be? the router or the switch? if this is answered else where please let me know. thank you

It depends on the switch configuration, but generally you would use the next hop as your gateway IP. (On the computer, you would want to know what subnet you should be in, and that would dictate the gateway IP, not the equipment connected).
If this is a class question, it's horribly worded, unless you have a diagram that clears it up.

dru06

@rr.com

said by cablegeek01:

said by dru06 :

hi,

It depends on the switch configuration, but generally you would use the next hop as your gateway IP. (On the computer, you would want to know what subnet you should be in, and that would dictate the gateway IP, not the equipment connected).
If this is a class question, it's horribly worded, unless you have a diagram that clears it up.

thank you that is what i thought, it is not a class question just a work conversation. half said gateway to the switch and the other half said to the router and i could not find a clear answer anywhere. again thank you for the response.

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:12
reply to dru06

"Depends on the network's needs, requirements and configuration" would be my answer.

There really isn't a response one can give as the question as you've posed is just too generic.

Regards

Expand your moderator at work

s1deout
Geek4Life
Premium
join:2003-12-10
Troy, OH
kudos:2
reply to dru06

Re: Layer 3 switching

Here is one scenario:

1. Router is ISP's router .
2. Your layer 3 switch is doing routing for the internal network.
3. You have a firewall / UTM device as well on the network.

Set the Default gateway to be the layer 3 switch since it is at your core and do your route table from there. You can do static routing or use a routing protocol depending on the switch you are using.

Set the default route to the Internet to be your firewall.

Set the default route on your firewall to be the ISP's router.

If you are using the ISP's router as your firewall then just point the default route on the layer 3 switch to the ISP's router.

Either way in your DHCP scope , the default gateway for the LAN would be the Layer 3 router.

That is how I would set it up.

And yes alot depends on what equipment you are running as well.

Expand your moderator at work