Search similar:

uniqs
Gem
Premium Member
join:2005-09-10

Gem

Premium Member

[WIN8] Intro to Windows 8 video anomaly

Many of you mention viewing a Microsoft "Introduction to Windows 8" video the first time you start windows after installing Windows 8.

At least one long time member here has reported that she saw no such video the first time she started windows 8. Neither did I as a matter of fact.

I installed Windows 8 from the $40 digital download to upgrade to W8 on two different computers. In neither case did the video play the first time Windows 8 was started on either machine.

Later, however, during a download of something else for Windows 8 from the Microsoft downloads page, the Introduction to Windows 8 played while the download was downloading.

Perhaps it all depends on what we got from Microsoft when we downloaded the $40 digital upgrade file... It is possible that some of us got a different mix of features in the download than others of us or that what was in the digital upgrade download is different that what is in the full version of Windows 8.

sekim
MVM
join:1999-08-17
Saint Petersburg, FL

sekim

MVM

Make a new user account.. they delete easy enough.
That will show your the.... video if you want to call it that.

something like;
Wait while we prepare your account, then shows how to open the charm bar & tells you to explore all the corners of the screen for more.

That's all I've ever seen after about 10 installs.

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb to Gem

Premium Member

to Gem
I posted this video in another thread, but it shows the "video" in question.

Start watching around the 6:30 mark to see what we are talking about. The Screen will be black, and the text "Check out the new way to use Windows" will be displayed.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· gSxulr_4

As sekim See Profile has said, just make a new user account, and the very first time you login, you will see that video.

I have also seen it every time I do a clean install of Windows 8 Pro x64, which I've done at least 2 dozen times since October. Of course, I'm one to actually sit and watch the install. I don't walk away and come back to see if it is waiting for me to do something. So, that could be why you have never seen it. This video actually shows the entire install process. The author of the video does use a Microsoft account, and the video shows there to, so its just not limited to a local account.

Hope that helps.

--Brian
Gem
Premium Member

Gem

Premium Member

That's it. Walking away and coming back only infrequently probably led to missing the video during earlier installs.

Good call.

All told, doesn't look like too much was really missed. Dragging a mouse to a corner could have been covered in only a few seconds or so. Likewise with dragging a mouse along an edge to the top or bottom of the screen. Even so, it's good to know that. Didn't know so before until the threads here covered those moves.

plencnerb
Premium Member
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

Exactly. Its not much, but it does show how to bring up the Charms bar.

Also, the video is not really correct. It says "Drag the mouse to any corner", and then shows the Charms bar. However, if you drag the mouse to the top left, or the bottom left, you don't get the charms bar. I don't remember what happens if you go to the top left (I think nothing), and the bottom left is where you go to get the little pop-out for the Start Screen.

So, really, it should have said "Drag your mouse to the Top Right or Bottom Right", and then showed the little animation.

--Brian
Gem
Premium Member

Gem

Premium Member

said by plencnerb:

Also, the Windows 8 video is not really correct.

It says "Drag the mouse to any corner", and then shows the Charms bar. However, if you drag the mouse to the top left, or the bottom left, you don't get the charms bar. I don't remember what happens if you go to the top left (I think nothing), and the bottom left is where you go to get the little pop-out for the Start Screen.

--Brian

If you go to the top left and have other programs open W8 will show small thumbnails of those programs that you can then click on to get back to them from a "Full Screen App".

plencnerb
Premium Member
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

Correct. However, it does not open the Charms bar, as it shows in the video.

The video says "Go to any corner", and then it shows the mouse going to the top right, and the Charms bar comes out.

If you actually went to "Any Corner", like the top left, it would not work, and the Charms bar would not be displayed.

Its really just semantics. Don't say "Any Corner" and show the Charms bar, when it really does not work with "Any Corner", just the top right and bottom right corners!

--Brian
Gem
Premium Member

Gem

Premium Member

Absolutely. You're right about that!
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to Gem

Premium Member

to Gem
Upper left corner is to reach the blessed desktop that you were forced to leave for some utterly dumb reason.

Lower right corner will not bring the charms bar EXCEPT when you find the exact, tiny place where the mouse must point...there is one, tiny spot and only there will it bring the charms bar. The best way to get the charms bar is to just be using your mouse to scroll a web page.