share rss forum feed

daveinpoway
Premium
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA
kudos:2

3 recommendations

The 4 most likely reasons you were hacked

"In the good old days, most hacking was performed by young males looking to boost their self-esteem. Nowadays, almost all hacking and malware is carried out with criminal intent. Yet for some reason, people who get hacked or are infected by malware still treat the problem as if it were a mere annoyance, as if they'd been infected by a virus from 1998.

I have two words for those people: Wake up! If your computer has been compromised, here are the four most likely reasons. Be warned: They're not pretty.":

»www.infoworld.com/d/security/the···13-02-05

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Speakeasy

1 recommendation

I find this, buried within the various articles in this report, to be terribly sad. The bolding is mine. After so many years of this being the case, how does one teach someone who isn't willing to, or cannot, understand? Frustrating, to say the least.

But ask end-users if they realize they are most likely to be infected by a website that they know, trust, and visit every day -- and you'll hear crickets. Most end-users have no idea about malicious ads on their favorite website or the fact that popular Internet search engines may get them infected. They don't know that the cute little app being pushed their way by a friend in Facebook is most likely malicious. They don't know the difference between their antivirus software and the fake one that just popped up a window on the screen. They don't know because we don't teach them.
--
JKK

Age is a very high price to pay for my maturity. If I can't stay young, I can at least stay immature!

»www.pbase.com/jaykaykay

Cthen

join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..

1 recommendation

So what do you do when you teach them these things and they still screw it up? (Which is many of these cases these days) I refuse to fix my mother's pc because of this and a few others who do the same. Jerking off would be better time spent for me than wiping and reinstalling everything for the upteenth time.
--
"I like to refer to myself as an Adult Film Efficienato." - Stuart Bondek

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Speakeasy

3 recommendations

Frustrating, to say the least. I don't fix anyone else's systems either and have trouble enough keeping my own nose clean these days. The older I get, the more I forget, but I find it terribly sad. After all these years and the things that people can do and have been taught, yes, taught, to do, they still continue treating a computer as if it was a private box, locked away in a private space. It is absolutely the opposite.
--
JKK

Age is a very high price to pay for my maturity. If I can't stay young, I can at least stay immature!

»www.pbase.com/jaykaykay

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

1 recommendation

said by jaykaykay:

...After all these years and the things that people can do and have been taught, yes, taught, to do, they still continue treating a computer as if it was a private box, locked away in a private space. It is absolutely the opposite.

An excellent description of the mindset that so often exists! People instinctively take their cue from their situational surroundings, and there is no visible "enemy" or threat in sight when sitting at a computer, usually all by yourself... nor is there likely to be. So, meaningful security is the furthest thing from their minds as they venture forth onto the Internet. Until disaster hits...
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY

2 recommendations

reply to daveinpoway
Too many people think their computers are toys.

I love the glazed over look they get when you try to discuss/teach them something. Many are totally uninterested in security or learning about it. Sad to say, but some of my own family members (who shall remain nameless here) fall into this category. They aren't stupid, they are perfectly capable of learning, but as long as I or another tech savvy family member can fix them up, they go on totally uninterested in learning how to protect themselves beyond the very basics.

I don't think there's an answer to that problem. They just aren't interested and you can't force them to be, period.
--
The Alien in the White House

20,196 DEADLY TERROR ATTACKS SINCE 9/11

angussf
Premium
join:2002-01-11
Tucson, AZ
kudos:4
said by jaykaykay:

They don't know because we don't teach them.

I disagree. They don't know because they don't want to know -- there are other things more important in their lives.
said by La Luna:

I don't think there's an answer to that problem. They just aren't interested and you can't force them to be, period.

Until it hits them in the pocketbook, they have no incentive to be interested. Once burned, twice shy, but until they lose money and/or have to rebuild a stolen ID/ruined credit record, why should they spend time on this?
--
Angus S-F
GeoApps, Tucson, Arizona, USA
»geoapps.com/
»www.linkedin.com/in/angussf
»geoapps.blogspot.com/

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
Well, that's true, but in my case, the people in question have a source besides me (and who lives a bit closer) who will fix problems for them, even reformat and reinstall if necessary. So there's no incentive to learn at all. I just get "I don't have time for that" or "I don't care".

However, they've yet to be stung by stolen identity/CC numbers, etc. Maybe that would light a fire, I don't know.
--
The Alien in the White House

20,196 DEADLY TERROR ATTACKS SINCE 9/11

DownTheShore
Honoring The Captain
Premium
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ
kudos:14
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

1 recommendation

reply to daveinpoway
I have one friend who has told me for years that she just can't be bothered with any computer stuff. She takes no interest in the various features of any electronic devices other than the use she purchased it for. She calls me when she wants to see what equipment she has to buy to do something connected with her work, and she's always surprised when I tell her that her computer or her MP3 player or whatever else she owns can already do it. I've tried to install the most set-and-forget security layers that I could on her computer, but I know that it's only a matter of time before it all hits the fan.
--
Patriotism is not waving a flag, it is living the ideals

I want to retire to the Isle of Sodor and ride the trains.

red2

@fastwebnet.it
Face it, except for those on this forum who work in IT, the average user finds most of this stuff to be overwhelming. They have grown up with the concept that you "set it once and forget it". It takes care of itself.

Thirty years ago when I visited most friend's houses, the clock on their VCR was blinking because they either couldn't figure out how to set it or couldn't be bothered. So if that simple procedure was too much for friends with advanced degrees, just how do you think you can interest the general population when the problems change every day?

I can hear them now:

First you told me that e-commerce is secure when that little lock appears (SSL padlock icon).

Then you told me that banks use even greater security protocols.

Then you told me that security certificates prove that a website is genuine.

If they can hack the top company and top government websites with impunity, steal security certificates, and so on, why should I worry about them hacking me?

Every day you tell me aabout some new risk and procedure. It's never ending. So I'll just resign myself, forget about it and enjoy myself.

carpetshark3
Premium
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to daveinpoway
You might be able to "fix" the computer problems, but you will never fix these:

"If it's too good to be true, it usually is"
'There's one born every minute"
"If it's on the internet, it must be true"
"free" (usually has a catch somewhere)

Witness the door to door and snail mail scams.

cableties
Premium
join:2005-01-27
reply to La Luna
The people I have to help not only have that "far away" look, but they also are adamant with keeping simple passwords!

"That is too difficult to remember!"
"I don't use a password to login"
"What is an administrator?"
"I clicked the link, and then all these windows started popping up"

Then there are those that are the opposite:
"I was searching a certain phrase in google, when my chat popped open with a friend asking about what I was searching! is someone spying on my iPhone???" (I suspect they had facebook open and chat and it indicated what they were doing...).
--
Splat

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium
join:2001-08-22
Westville, NJ
kudos:7
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to daveinpoway
I agree with the sentiment here, most end users choose to be ignorant. They couldn't care less as long as they are scoring 'likes' on FB and are able to play online games.

I have a few friends and relatives who are repeat offenders. They refuse to learn. 1 relative of mine actually told me they are buying a new computer because the one they have keeps getting infected. Someone told them that new computers don't get infected. Wow, how much more ignorant can someone be?
--
Stop The Mindless Killings Stop Over Fishing

Maven
Premium
join:2002-03-12
Canada

2 recommendations

reply to La Luna
said by La Luna:

as long as I or another tech savvy family member can fix them up, they go on totally uninterested in learning how to protect themselves beyond the very basics.

My approach has been to make myself the admin of their computers. They get a standard account. Don't like it? Get someone else to fix it.

Phoenix22
Death From Above
Premium
join:2001-12-11
SOG C&C Nrth
reply to La Luna
you are so on the mark B.
i'm dealin' w/it in spades
jd
in fact you are all right............itz happenin' almost faster than i can fix it.........but still leavin' me drained........like a 4thD excursion

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

2 recommendations

reply to Maven
said by Maven:

said by La Luna:

as long as I or another tech savvy family member can fix them up, they go on totally uninterested in learning how to protect themselves beyond the very basics.

My approach has been to make myself the admin of their computers. They get a standard account. Don't like it? Get someone else to fix it.

Charge them too.
--
Ant @ AQFL.net and AntFarm.ma.cx. Please do not IM/e-mail me for technical support. Use this forum or better, »community.norton.com ! Disclaimer: The views expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.