Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

1 recommendation

Why the general teen should not get a sports car...

E46 M3 is cheap enough for those with no experience to get one:

»www.autoevolution.com/news/kid-c···505.html
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1

Re: Why the general teen shoujld not get a sports car...

is an E46 like a special Super Sport model?

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
It is a M series - more HP, better suspension and brakes. The original E30 M3 way back in the 80's was created for racing and it won everything it was raced in. They eventually changed the rules to prevent it from running.

The newer M3's are more luxury on top of the added tweaks. Usually command $10+K more than a regular BMW (330i, 325i etc...) or more.

The 1M car is fantastic and a limited run was done... Very expensive and only 2K made.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_M

The M1 is generally considered to be the first super sports car.
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:BMW_M1_1.jpg

Its styling was used by many other manufacturers.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA
kudos:4
reply to CylonRed

Re: Why the general teen should not get a sports car...

As a teen I would've said that is stupid! But now that I am older I realize teens should not get a sports car. My brother in law who is about to turn 16 wants my car but I told him no way. Even though my car isn't powerful as an M3 the motor sits in the middle of the car and it is rwd. Can't trust a teen with that.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to CylonRed

Re: Why the general teen shoujld not get a sports car...

Ahh okay I knew the M was basically the BMW version of the SS badge. I just didnt know that the E46 meant so was figuring it was a step up from a normal M5 or something.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
E46 is the body style/engine for a model for specific years... E46 cars went from 1999 or 2000 to 2006 for the 3 series of cars.
--
Brian

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to CylonRed

Re: Why the general teen should not get a sports car...

quote:
Today's teens and Millennials are often called the entitled generation for a reason. They expect to drive their very own fully-loaded luxury vehicle with retractable roof and multi-speaker audio system. If they can't have their specific dream car, then they don't want anything and won't waste time getting a driver's license. Past generations of young drivers, by comparison, were satisfied with any piece of metal that moved.

My brother and I, like many other Millennials, weren't willing to downgrade, compromise, or to be forced to drive a parent's vehicle. I received my license at age seventeen only after I had my red convertible sitting in the driveway. My brother refused to even look at the driver's manual until he received his BMW at age eighteen.

»www.forbes.com/sites/larissafaw/···s-wrong/
Someone needs to slap these kids upside the head.

NOCTech75
Premium
join:2009-06-29
Marietta, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to CylonRed
He should get the sportscar BUT WITH PROPER TRAINING. Instead of playing on roads he needs to be taken to a road course and do Drivers Educations with any host of driving groups. It's not the teen with the car that is the problem, it's the teen who has no clue what to do with the car that is the problem.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
Problem is - proper training would take a couple years to be good at and they would not be a teen. Meanwhile - they are driving a car that they should not be driving much less driving like an idiot.
--
Brian

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
reply to Bob4
said by Bob4:

quote:
Today's teens and Millennials are often called the entitled generation for a reason. They expect to drive their very own fully-loaded luxury vehicle with retractable roof and multi-speaker audio system. If they can't have their specific dream car, then they don't want anything and won't waste time getting a driver's license. Past generations of young drivers, by comparison, were satisfied with any piece of metal that moved.

My brother and I, like many other Millennials, weren't willing to downgrade, compromise, or to be forced to drive a parent's vehicle. I received my license at age seventeen only after I had my red convertible sitting in the driveway. My brother refused to even look at the driver's manual until he received his BMW at age eighteen.

»www.forbes.com/sites/larissafaw/···s-wrong/
Someone needs to slap these kids upside the head.

Absolutely - my kids are going to hate me when they can drive.
--
Brian

NOCTech75
Premium
join:2009-06-29
Marietta, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

Problem is - proper training would take a couple years to be good at and they would not be a teen. Meanwhile - they are driving a car that they should not be driving much less driving like an idiot.

No it wouldn't. IMSA Lights L1 class has 15 and 16 year olds at the pointy end of the grid. We got a kid down here in the southeast who is 15 and ran 10 races in SCCA this year in his C6Z and won most of them.. he is jumping upto GT1 this year. There are numerous kids in Spec Miata who started when they were 16 and 17. It all goes down to parenting and teaching respect for the vehicle and others, teens can be trained to drive with respect despite your blanket statements.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
The person in the youtube is not one of these. Of course - I never said young people could not race. They obviously do but they don't just get a license and drive a sports car.

I never said teens could not have respect - it is rare and not the norm, at least in my 46 years of live and 30 years of driving. This nimrod certainly did not learn the lessons needed.

Obviously - the 'blanket' statement s were to this particular kid since I was commenting on the video and not every teen in existence.
--
Brian

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
reply to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

Absolutely - my kids are going to hate me when they can drive.

I'd wager that happens long before their becoming of driving age. Usually starts at the pre-teens and lasts until mid 20's.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
Mullica Hill, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to CylonRed
Ha someone should point out to those kids even the most basic Honda Civic has a multi speaker audio system. After all it has four speakers which is more than one making it multiple.
--

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
join:2012-10-18
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..

2 recommendations

reply to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

E46 M3 is cheap enough for those with no experience to get one:

»www.autoevolution.com/news/kid-c···505.html

There is nothing that beats experience. Driving a car in a proficient and proper way takes many things but certainly one of the most important is experience in the form of training and practice.

I was literally blessed decades ago as a 16 year old that had just gotten his drivers license and a car. I was driving down one of the streets in the housing tract I lived in at the time. The streets were line with cars parked on the curbs and were just barely wide enough for two cars. I was speeding down the street. I was being reckless driving at that speed in those conditions. But...I didn't know I was being reckless or that I was "speeding." I was literally clueless. I was totally unknowingly out of control.

A dog darted out from the front yard it was playing on with its family in directly into my path. I could not stop and hit it. The dog's leg was broken and he was badly shaken up as was the family and I was too! I was profusely and from the heart sincerely sorry and regretful for what had happen. I naturally offered to pay for the dogs bills.

He got treatment and healed completely. I even went back a couple of times weeks later to check on him, (I love animals) and again express my regret.

A day after the accident I was really reflecting upon the accident. The circumstances of the accident clearly drove home to me that I was driving to fast and couldn't stop and my speed probably caused the accident. I also realized that the dog could have been killed. AND I fully independently realized that it could have just as easily been a kid as a dog that darted out and the circumstances could have been fatal.

I never again to this day have ever speeded in a residential neighborhood or area.

I was lucky. Very lucky. I got a second chance.
--
The signal is usually drowned out by the noise.

TheTechGuru

join:2004-03-25
TEXAS
kudos:2
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect
reply to CylonRed
I don't think it should be "sports cars" that they should not get, it should be "any RWD car".

I'd rather give them a sporty Ford Focus or Hyundai Tiburon than a old Ford Crown Vic. Give them any RWD car and they're going to do donuts.
--
CompTIA Network+ Certified

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
I tried to do donuts in a FWD car - especially in winter. Same type of thing in teh video could happen with FWD or RWD.

My brothers grew up learning on RWD and they learned car control pretty quick living in Ohio - that is kind of a good thing.
--
Brian

TheTechGuru

TEXAS
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect
said by CylonRed:

I tried to do donuts in a FWD car - especially in winter. Same type of thing in teh video could happen with FWD or RWD.

My brothers grew up learning on RWD and they learned car control pretty quick living in Ohio - that is kind of a good thing.

Here's an idea, give them a late model AWD car with traction control and ask the manufacture or a mechanic to remove the ability to turn the transaction control off. Should be as simple as removing the button and installing a factory color plate over the button hole that would be used on models that don't have it.
--

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
Give them any drive (rwd, fwd, awd) car - older and not over powered. Then they take a Street Survival course - or several - before they can drive.

IMHO - a FWD car is a bit safer due to the inherit under-steer.
--
Brian

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to CylonRed
I think everybody has to be rather careful with a sports car. I can handle sporty driving in my normal car. But I would not plow an M series into the twisty roads full bore without getting to know it better.

I mean I have watched The Stig have to fight some of these cars around corners, And he is an experienced performance driver.

I think one thing that surprises people who get into their first true high powered car, Is that the power can sneak up on them. I bet if you took your typical commuter no matter how many years behind the wheel and put them into say a Dodge Viper SRT-10. They would risk wiping it out the first time they tried to overtake a semi on the turnpike if they floored it like they do their Honda.
--

TheTechGuru

TEXAS
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect
said by Kearnstd:

I bet if you took your typical commuter no matter how many years behind the wheel and put them into say a Dodge Viper SRT-10. They would risk wiping it out the first time they tried to overtake a semi on the turnpike if they floored it like they do their Honda.

Not if you get one that has traction control and leave it on.

Mercedes-Benz CL65 AMG would be nice.
--

Grimm

join:2011-05-23
reply to Kearnstd
Reminds me of this story: »www.theglobeandmail.com/life/the···2280493/
--
Slydermv--In short.. hookers save lives.

THZNDUP
Deorum Offensa Diis Curae
Premium
join:2003-09-18
Lard
Or this one: »www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/201···air-bill
--
one should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
reply to TheTechGuru
I regularly disable the TCS in my car because it's invasive (especially during inclement weather), and I think your a better driver if you can drive without it. My current car is the first car I've had that has a TCS.

TheTechGuru

TEXAS
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect
said by sk1939:

I regularly disable the TCS in my car because it's invasive (especially during inclement weather), and I think your a better driver if you can drive without it. My current car is the first car I've had that has a TCS.

I once saw someone get stuck in a automatic car wash because they didn't know how to turn their traction control off.
--

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting
reply to CylonRed
I remember being 16. Teenagers are stupid. It comes with the territory.
Here's the difference:
When I was 16, I had to buy my own car. It cost $250. I had to buy my own gas and my own insurance.
When you have to pay for things with your own hard earned money, it makes you think twice about doing stupid shit.

I hope this little dumbshit learned his lesson.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.