Dr. Zoidberg

join:2001-05-01
Elmhurst, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·RCN CABLE
·Earthlink Cable ..
reply to cchhat01

Re: [Speed] SB6141 + 50/6 = Slow Speeds in Elmhurst, NY ???

negativeduck,

I know what you're saying however, during peak times (10PM) my speeds are crawling. I was barely able to download at 2mbps (thats in bits).
Have a look at my ny.speedtest.rcn.net speed history from last night (Feb 4, 2013) and you will know what I mean.

Thanks
--
"Look at me, I'm Dr. Zoidberg, homeowner."

negativeduck
Premium,VIP
join:2002-02-14
Centreville, VA
kudos:1

I see, strange yea you shouldn't have had that happen... I put a trace on it. This happen every night?
--
Bryan Laird
RCN Engineering

cchhat01
Dr. Zoidberg

Elmhurst, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·RCN CABLE
·Earthlink Cable ..

said by negativeduck:

I see, strange yea you shouldn't have had that happen... I put a trace on it. This happen every night?

Bryan,

I'm not sure whats going on but this entire day my speed has been consistently in the 40 mbps (closer to my max of 50, usually around 45).
However, I just noticed my upload has started to stutter. As in it will start rising upto around 4mbps and then drop to around 2-3mbps is most speedtest. Usually the upload has always been constant around 5.7-6mbps (no issues).

I've test on speedtest.net and speakeasy.net/speedtest to new york speed test zones.

The only time I've seen the upload stutter is when you mentioned that there was a "noise" issue in the area. Not sure if something similar is going on now or if this just me. I've already rebooted the modem a couple of times along with my router and my devices.

I"ll keep tabs on the download and upload speeds throughout the day for a couple of days to see if the Download speeds have actually settled down to the 40+ mbps that I'm seeing now and also if the upload stuttering goes away.

I'll keep this thread updated.

Thanks for looking into this.

chiggy
--

cchhat01
Dr. Zoidberg

Elmhurst, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·RCN CABLE
·Earthlink Cable ..
reply to negativeduck

said by negativeduck:

And its bad again today.
Have a look at the most recent speedtest (ny.speedtest.rcn.net). downloaded 50MB in 60 seconds.
Speedtest.net speeds are nearly the same.
I'm not sure what is causing this.

Pings are relatively low. However I am just not able to see speeds anywhere close to what I should be getting. Upload has returned to the normal 5.7-5.9mbps are so thats a positive.

Please help me Bryan.

chiggy
--

cchhat01
Dr. Zoidberg

Elmhurst, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·RCN CABLE
·Earthlink Cable ..
reply to negativeduck

said by negativeduck:

Given that today its snowing and likely people are either working from home (or not) so will be indoors chugging down the speeds of their internet, its more realistic in explaining why my speeds are down. My area is probably not supporting the number of people on RCN now chugging down the speeds.

I just tested many times today. around 8mbps downloads around 4PM.
then around 13 and 15 mbps right now (~645 pm).

Pings are low (around 10-30ms) to many test servers on speedtest.net.

please check test history on ny.speedtest.rcn.net

THESE SPEEDS SHOULD NOT BE THE NORM... The theoretical max of 50mbps should be the norm.

chiggy
--