1 edit
reply to mrschultz02

Re: [Speed] Speed increase.

Check out that upload!!

Click for full size
Speed Of Me
Click for full size
Comcast's
Ok I think somethings wrong.......I like what I see, but something seems totally screwed...

I went and ran ShaperProbe, just to see if I've lost Powerboost or not yet.

Below is the actual results

quote:
DiffProbe release. January 2012. Build 1008.
Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 38.102.0.85.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 10043 Kbps.
Downstream: 19157 Kbps.

The measurement will take upto 2.5 minutes. Please wait.

Checking for traffic shapers:

Upstream: Burst size: 3111-3399 KB;
Shaping rate: 2128 Kbps.

Downstream: Measurement aborted due to high packet loss rate.

For more information, visit: »www.cc.gatech.edu/~partha/diffprobe

I had to look a few times at the estimated upstream capacity. I'll put it here again, with a , in the right spot 10,043 Kbps . Knowing that the downstream is 19,157 Kbps which of course is 19 MB/sec. I could not believe that my upstream turned out to be 11 MB/sec.

I figured something had to be wrong..it was a bad reading, some odd fluke.

So, I went to »www.speedtest.net/, and ran a test.

Here's the link to show what I got. And, to help verify that I did not doctor anything, I'll post the link as well as the picture.

»www.speedtest.net/result/2488715030.png

41.24 MB/s ON THE UPLOAD????? Holy Christmas batman! That rocks, if indeed its true.

Edit: I did two more speed tests on different sites.

First, we have one from "SpeedOfMe"

»speedof.me/show.php?img=13020505···2969.png

Then we have Comcast's IPv4 speed test site

»stage.results.speedtest.comcast.···0762.png

Pics of both attached as well.

Looks like something crazy is going on with the upload side of things.....

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3
You're confusing Mbits/s and MBytes/s.

10 Mbps on the upstream isn't unusual with PB. Neither is 41 Mbps for that matter. When I had uncapped PB, I'd regularly see 30+ Mbps on speedtest.net tests for upstream.

I'd run a few more tests on speedtest.net, as that result could have been bogus. I trust shaperprobe more than speedtest.net
--
"I drank what?" -Socrates

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
Well, I know speed tests can be wrong. However, I've always tested in the morning, and have never seen my upload go above 4.5 MB/s at all with that speed test site.

I do trust shaperprobe over any speedtest site that is for sure.

Also what's interesting is when I ran the one at Comcast's page, the upload was all over the map..few seconds it was between 2-5 MB/s, then it would shoot up to well over 25, then another second later go back to 15, and then up 20 again...all in the course of the test.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

Darknessfall
Premium
join:2012-08-17
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse
@plencnerb

Have you tried uploading something to see what it does?

Also, did you ever receive any email yet?

I predict that I'll be the last one to get it or never get it at all .

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL

1 edit
Click for full size
I have not done a physical upload of a file as a test.

As far as I know, my mom did not get an e-mail about it (it's her name that is on the account). If she did get it, I know she would have told me about it.

It appears that my upload has been modified to around 8000 Kbps. I have ran ShaperProbe 4 times in the last few minutes. The picture above is from Excel showing the four tests, with the Min, Max, and Avergae for each of these values

•Upstream
•Downstream
•Upstream Shaping rate
•Downstream Shaping rate

--Brian

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by plencnerb:

I have not done a physical upload of a file as a test.

As far as I know, my mom did not get an e-mail about it (it's her name that is on the account). If she did get it, I know she would have told me about it.

It appears that my upload has been modified to around 8000 Kbps. I have ran ShaperProbe 4 times in the last few minutes. The picture above is from Excel showing the four tests, with the Min, Max, and Avergae for each of these values

Actually the "Shaping rate" is your actual subscribed speed, so your upstream speed seems to be 2128 kbps, not ~8000 kbps. Your official subscribed rate plan (not counting the effects of PowerBoost) would appear to be a 16/2 plan. That is what I really hate about Comcast's policy of using marketing names (and including PowerBoost as part of those rate plans) instead of using actual numeric base rates. They intentionally make it difficult for a customer to know exactly what they are paying for (if you don't know, you can't complain).

I am on the 16/3 "Starter" business class plan, and ShaperProbe confirms that with its "Shaping rate" results:

said by ShaperProbe :
Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 80.239.142.202.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 11070 Kbps.
Downstream: 113017 Kbps.

Upstream: Burst size: 4582-4867 KB;
Shaping rate: 3210 Kbps.

Downstream: Burst size: 9462-10316 KB;
Shaping rate: 17024 Kbps.

--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
said by NetFixer:

Actually the "Shaping rate" is your actual subscribed speed, so your upstream speed seems to be 2128 kbps, not ~8000 kbps. Your official subscribed rate plan (not counting the effects of PowerBoost) would appear to be a 16/2 plan.

I see that now. And 16/2 would be right, as I'm on the "Performance" Package. With PB, it goes to 25/4. Of course now, I'm getting an upload of anywhere between 8 and 45, depending on which speed test site I use.

Which again is why ShaperProbe is the best way to see exactly what you are suppose to be getting.

Thanks for clearing that up.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

mrschultz02

join:2007-09-10
Media, PA
said by plencnerb:

And 16/2 would be right, as I'm on the "Performance" Package. With PB, it goes to 25/4. Of course now, I'm getting an upload of anywhere between 8 and 45, depending on which speed test site I use.

That's crazy upload, at one point on Sunday I was getting 11, that was as high as it went. Things seem to have stabilized now, pretty steady at 22/4. I guess they were right to roll this out slowly, seems like there were some issues with getting the new speeds for the performance tier set correctly.

JigglyWiggly

join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA
What's the point of the blast package now

jkj860
The Final Frontier

join:2002-01-10
Valparaiso, IN
I have the Blast package.

Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 64.9.225.179.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 6449 Kbps.
Downstream: 36412 Kbps.

Upstream: Burst size: 9625-9703 KB;
Shaping rate: 4293 Kbps.

Downstream: Burst size: 19302-19795 KB;
Shaping rate: 26618 Kbps.

--
I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant. Nixon

owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to JigglyWiggly
said by JigglyWiggly:

What's the point of the blast package now

Around here, Blast was upgraded to 50/10, but that was a year ago. It's a great deal for only $10/month more than Performance.

YukonHawk

join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY
Same here. We were upgraded to Blast 50/10 last spring/summer.I suspect they may not update my area since the speeds are really good. Time will tell.

aabaaf

join:2011-12-09
Lombard, IL
I spoke to Comcast tech support for here in Chicago area last night. The guy said that for the time being POWERBOOST, is here to stay. He did also mention that sometime, he stressed sometime in the future, as they had no time given to them at all, the Chicago area, would be upgraded similar to the Northeast area, with Blast going to 50, 50 to 105, and 105 seeing the lower price, just like the northeast. Also that the 300 would start to become available here in the Chicago market. Again no time limits given. But that for now, POWERBOOST is here to stay for those that are in the Chicago market.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
said by aabaaf:

I spoke to Comcast tech support for here in Chicago area last night. The guy said that for the time being POWERBOOST, is here to stay. He did also mention that sometime, he stressed sometime in the future, as they had no time given to them at all, the Chicago area, would be upgraded similar to the Northeast area, with Blast going to 50, 50 to 105, and 105 seeing the lower price, just like the northeast. Also that the 300 would start to become available here in the Chicago market. Again no time limits given. But that for now, POWERBOOST is here to stay for those that are in the Chicago market.

No offense to the tech, but I wouldn't trust what one tech says. Every (and I mean EVERY) business class support tech I spoke to on the phone or who came to my prem told me straight to my face "Business class does not have powerboost". One guy said that right when I showed him a 75/35 speedtest.net, to which he replied it was a fluke. I repeated it 2 more times to different servers with slightly varying speeds, but still WELL over my 22/5 rate at the time. They just shrugged it off. So take what this phone tech tells you with a (heaping, 2 ton) grain of salt.
--
"I drank what?" -Socrates