share rss forum feed

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:10

Buffalo Burgers?

I just purchased 36 1/3LB Buffalo Burgers.
They are vacuum sealed, frozen & come 3 to a pack.

I've eaten these burgers in restaurants & love them. Now I have my own to cook. Knowing these are on the pricey side, I don't want to do anything to ruin the flavor.

Questions:
What is the best way to thaw as to not change the flavor?
What are some good ways or techniques to cook them?
Any other suggestions on condiments, buns, etc. to use with them.

Thanks!
--
In God we trust; all others bring data!

chamberc
Premium
join:2008-08-05
Irving, TX

1 recommendation

said by Johkal:

I just purchased 36 1/3LB Buffalo Burgers.
They are vacuum sealed, frozen & come 3 to a pack.

I've eaten these burgers in restaurants & love them. Now I have my own to cook. Knowing these are on the pricey side, I don't want to do anything to ruin the flavor.

Questions:
What is the best way to thaw as to not change the flavor?
What are some good ways or techniques to cook them?
Any other suggestions on condiments, buns, etc. to use with them.

Thanks!

I always add Worcestershire with salt and pepper.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to Johkal
One thing to remember is, buffalo meat is very lean, so you need to avoid over cooking it.

As for thawing, leave it in the fridge for 24 hours. Use S&P for the full flavour, condiments just cover it up.
--
"I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots." ~ Albert Einstein

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to Johkal
^^^ This.

Don't dry it out by over cooking.

Xioden
Premium
join:2008-06-10
Monticello, NY
kudos:1

1 recommendation

And don't make the oh-so common mistake of pressing down on the burgers while cooking.

tcope
Premium
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

1 recommendation

reply to Johkal
I prefer to doctor them up a bit with spices and what no. As mentioned, they are very low in fat. Fat = flavor (sorry). I like mine with shrooms and cheese.

H_T_R_N
Premium
join:2011-12-06
Valencia, PA

1 recommendation

reply to Johkal
A little S&P and warm them under a 3w LED bulb for 3 minutes each side, then enjoy! yum

tcope
Premium
Sandy, UT

1 recommendation

Not sure how much heat a 3w LED bulb is going to give off (IR LED perhaps?). Personally, I like them cooked (160 degrees) instead.

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
join:2010-01-13
Dupont, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

1 recommendation

reply to Johkal
Buffalo meat cooks a lot faster than your normal burger. Your first few times I would suggest checking every couple of mins. May want to even consider cooking them on a raised grill (not sure of the name but many grills have that upper level that is further from the heat.)

As for thawing I just let it sit out and thaw the old fashioned way.
--
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley
said by Voxxjin:

Buffalo meat cooks a lot faster than your normal burger. Your first few times I would suggest checking every couple of mins. May want to even consider cooking them on a raised grill (not sure of the name but many grills have that upper level that is further from the heat.)

As for thawing I just let it sit out and thaw the old fashioned way.

Speaking of grilling: Is it better to use high heat to sear them & keep a warmer middle or use low heat & cook them a little longer. Normally I like an internal temp. of 145°.
--

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

1 recommendation

reply to tcope
said by tcope:

Personally, I like them cooked (160 degrees) instead.

Cooking them to that temperature will ruin them! It will be dry hockey pucks.

tcope
Premium
Sandy, UT

1 recommendation

Whoops. Was thinking cow burgers for some reason. Yes... cook to around 140 degrees.

Xioden
Premium
join:2008-06-10
Monticello, NY
reply to Johkal
It pretty much comes down to preference. Low and slow will give you a more tender burger throughout, while doing a sear first will give you more of a well-done crust/char on the outside, but be less tender.

H_T_R_N
Premium
Valencia, PA
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to tcope
said by tcope:

Whoops. Was thinking cow burgers for some reason. Yes... cook to around 140 degrees.

140!! I do 3/4 to full pound burgers and the center never gets above 100. My rule of thumb is; you cook the color and flavor out of meet at the same time. Now I do like the outside of the meet to pay homage to the old french guy but that's about the extent of it. A very slight char on the outside edge and red, juicy and cool on the inside. Top with a lightly browned onion, sauteed mushrooms and a balsamic marinated tomato. There is nothing better on a plate!

tcope
Premium
Sandy, UT
You forgot the goat cheese! Balsamic viniger and goat cheese is _really_ good!

I'll have to try mine at a lower temp. I have a couple of steaks in the freezer right now.

H_T_R_N
Premium
Valencia, PA
Reviews:
·voip.ms
said by tcope:

You forgot the goat cheese! Balsamic viniger and goat cheese is _really_ good!

I'll have to try mine at a lower temp. I have a couple of steaks in the freezer right now.

Hmmmm Ill have to try that. I cant put the two together in my head.

H_T_R_N
Premium
Valencia, PA
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to tcope
said by tcope:

Not sure how much heat a 3w LED bulb is going to give off (IR LED perhaps?). Personally, I like them cooked (160 degrees) instead.

I missed this, I was exaggerating a tad. There is very little heat from a 3 watt LED. I really do like my meet to MOOOOOOO when I bite into it. Its good to know your farmer.

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
join:2010-01-13
Dupont, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to Johkal
said by Johkal:

Speaking of grilling: Is it better to use high heat to sear them & keep a warmer middle or use low heat & cook them a little longer. Normally I like an internal temp. of 145°.

I personally prefer the higher heat. Really it depends on how thick the burger is. If it is thin, then you might be better off not searing them because it will cook fast. I would probably put the thin burger on the top rack and cook it. If you have a thick burger then I would sear each side and then maybe leave it on the top grill until the inside is how you like it. Some of this depends upon how much 'black' or char you like or want on your burger.

But when cooking something new like this, a lot of times it comes down to just experimenting. Plus different grills cook differently. The first time I would cook it (heat-wise) like you would your normal burgers. Just remembering that it will cook faster. Then see how it is. You may want to just cook one burger first to see how it goes before putting additional burgers on the grill. With as fast as then can cook it really wouldn't add too much time to your cooking and it is better to possibly ruin one burger than a whole batch.

All in all, I don't think it taste much different than a regular burger. So you are probably fine dressing it how you like your normal burgers. I personally like mine with american cheese, topped by some bleu cheese dressing and some french fried onions.
--
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war

tcope
Premium
Sandy, UT
reply to H_T_R_N
said by H_T_R_N:

I missed this, I was exaggerating a tad. There is very little heat from a 3 watt LED. I really do like my meet to MOOOOOOO when I bite into it. Its good to know your farmer.

I should have understood that but it really flew right over my head. You were pointing out that you like them cooked very lightly. I don't think I was fully awake this morning.

tcope
Premium
Sandy, UT
reply to H_T_R_N
said by H_T_R_N See ProfileHmmmm Ill have to try that. I cant put the two together in my head.[/BQUOTE :

Goat cheese is just _super_ creamy. It's like blue cheese without the tartness. The balsamic vinegar adds a nice tartness to the cheese so they go together well. But carmalized onions and goats cheese go together very well. Sweetness from the onions and the creamy flavor of the goat cheese.

I LOVE to cook but I really just suck at it. Lately I've (finally) picked up on the need to have two opposite flavors together (salt and sweetness are two).

footballdude
Premium
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO
reply to Johkal
As mentioned before, bison meat is very lean and prone to being very dry. A nice barbeque sauce can help with that. A Jack Daniels whiskey buckshot sauce is even better.
--
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty - Ronald Reagan

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19
reply to Johkal
In this thread you will find 500 different ways to cook your burgers and everyone will feel that their answer is supreme.

It is entirely up to you on how you want to cook and eat your burgers.

I have found that simple salt and pepper has helped to amplify the flavors of the burger. If you have to thaw these puppies out, it wouldn't be too bad of an idea to lightly salt and pepper them as they're frozen and have them soak into the burger as they thaw. Don't go crazy with it.

The buns and condiments are up to you. What kind of bread do you like? What kind of condiments do you like? BBQ Sauce, ketchup, cheese, etc. It's all up to you. Experiment and find out what you and your family like.

I assume you're grilling these, yes? If so, it's up to you how you like them. My wife likes hockey pucks, so I leave those in the hot spots and let them brown the whole way through. I prefer mine of the medium variety. It all depends on the kind of grill you use, and that takes time to get familiar with. When you cook enough hamburgers, you'll know what kind of temperature will be inside just from experience. Generally speaking, I flip once, usually I see brown around the edges.

It just takes experimenting. If you're concerned, buy some regular hamburger and learn how to cook those right and then crack open your buffalo burgers. Your methods will be similar.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley

2 edits
I've been cooking/grilling for many years, but have no experience with Buffalo burgers.

So the common opinions are:
*since the meat is low in fat, don't overcook them.
*suggested temps are 100°F - 140°F
*don't press them with the spatula
*simple seasonings are best as to not cover the taste
*making them gourmet is preferable (i.e. balsamic, goat cheese, etc.)

Awesome feedback from everyone. I appreciate it.
To add; I love grilling/eating Black Angus burgers, but my present health situation needs to exclude beef. So, the Buffalo will give me my occasional burger fix.
--

H_T_R_N
Premium
Valencia, PA
Reviews:
·voip.ms
said by Johkal:

I've been cooking/grilling for many years, but have no experience with Buffalo burgers.

So the common opinions are:
*since the meat is low in fat, don't overcook them.
*suggested temps are 100°F - 140°F
*don't press them with the spatula
*simple seasonings are best as to not cover the taste
*making them gourmet is preferable (i.e. balsamic, goat cheese, etc.)

Awesome feedback from everyone. I appreciate it.
To add; I love grilling/eating Black Angus burgers, but my present health situation needs to exclude beef. So, the Buffalo will give me my occasional burger fix.

Yep! If you need me to come and sample them to verify you are doing it right let me know, I'd be more than happy to help out!

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley
No problem, but you'll have to bring the beer.

H_T_R_N
Premium
Valencia, PA
Reviews:
·voip.ms

1 recommendation

said by Johkal:

No problem, but you'll have to bring the beer.

DONE!

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley
Keep the brew cold on that 3 hour trip.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley
reply to Johkal
Thanks everyone for your contributions. The 1st burgers will be consumed this Saturday.
Expand your moderator at work