Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0 to Ghastlyone

Premium Member

to Ghastlyone

Re: First NVIDIA GeForce Titan 780 Performance Numbers Revealed

said by Ghastlyone:

Hypothetically, let's just say for example you purchased a 680 @ $600.00 and on average most people use their GPUs for 2 years at least, we're talking like 6 dollars a week that GPU will cost you.

I've heard of some people getting 3-4 years before upgrading again.

I just don't see it as a huge cost, when you factor in the amount of time you'll use it for.

Fair point. But like many, spending that much up front, without knowing for sure how long it would last you, can seem rather hap-hazard.

I know per my experience, buying a GPU that had more VRAM usually ended up remaining useful longer, so I didn't have to upgrade as often.

When I first got my 8800GTS, it was still a $4*0 USD part. Sure, there was the 320MB part for less, but it wasn't less enough to justify getting that over the 640MB part for me. That card has been my primary up until the GTX 285, which I got in the 1GB flavor for about the same price; I'd since relegated the 8800GTS to handle PhysX for the time being, not sure how frequently I'd be playing PhysX-enabled games.

Forward to the present, this combination has been pretty effective. The fact that I can still play something like Metro 2033 fluidly (albeit not at the absolute highest), is stunning for me, and even a game like Far Cry 2, which its in-game framerate reporting was reading about 25fps still did very well. A lot of PC games I grew to enjoy came around to using PhysX, such as Borderlands.

So between the 6GB of RAM and the rather... obscene performance boost, the 780 certainly seems to be a winner. The only object to getting one then would just be the sticker shock. But if it ends up being another 8800GTX, well... you'll very likely be well covered until such time that both a new version of OpenGL/DirectX and some 'killer app/games' finally come out to justify an upgrade.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

I hear what you're saying C0deZer0,....

My thing is that I try to be very realistic about my buying habits and willingness to spend on a specific product. For example some of my past video cards are as follows (going from newest to oldest):

GTX 670 (reference design)
HD 6870
GTX 260
8800GT
8800GTS

Not one of those cards, not one, is the high-end for the given generation. So I'm not going to look at the GeForce Titan 780 and think this is something I am likely to buy because realistically its not. I'm not likely to spend much more then $300 on a video card,....period. Its not that I can't, its just that it isn't worth it to me. That's also my typical comfort zone max for CPU and motherboard. Occasionally I may go beyond that but rarely.