« This reminds meIs this White Spaces? »
This is a sub-selection from Super
meowmeow
join:2003-07-26
Helena, MT

meowmeow to NoHereNoMo

to NoHereNoMo

Re: Super

Don't talk about what you don't know, it'll severely interfere with wireless microphone systems. Wireless mic users just had to move off the LTE bands a few years ago, don't force a move into an even narrower space again already at costs of approx $1000/ch - most of them borne by non-profits (community theatres, churches, etc).
NoHereNoMo
join:2012-12-06

NoHereNoMo

Actually, I did know about that. (I'm sure the issue will show up in some astroturf organization report any day now.)
meowmeow
Helena, MT

meowmeow

So you're okay with community theatres, churches, nightclubs, concert venues, etc being forced to spend thousands of dollars each on new equipment because they're being trampled on by ISPs and cell phone providers when they were there first?
NoHereNoMo
join:2012-12-06

NoHereNoMo

The spectrum is owned by the people of the United States; and if those people ever get lucky enough to actually use that spectrum in a meaningful way that benefits them and saves them money... then, yeah, I'm OK with that. "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" (relatively speaking).

However, feel free to contact your Representative and Senators in Congress (who are the persons who might actually be able to do something about it to your liking). Frankly, though, I'm dubious about any need for you to worry about the situation any time soon.
meowmeow
Helena, MT

meowmeow

So you never go to concerts? You never rock out at clubs? You never go to community theatre or high school theatre performances?

Those are meaningful uses of the spectrum that benefit the people of the United States.

There *are* alternatives to white space microphones, but they are expensive, offer no real benefit, and make the use of 2.4GHz Wi-Fi in an area impractical (which doesn't just harm public Wi-Fi but also other theatre applications).
« This reminds meIs this White Spaces? »
This is a sub-selection from Super