Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to Kitlope

Premium Member

to Kitlope

Re: BB10 launches Jan 30

said by Kitlope:

And with today's phone upgrade, I'm continuing to support Canadian.

is that phone made in Canada?

i know in the past, all devices were, but over the years, many of the models were shifted offshore.

Kitlope
join:2004-07-29
Edmonton, Ab

Kitlope

said by dirtyjeffer0:

said by Kitlope:

i know in the past, all devices were, but over the years, many of the models were shifted offshore.

Just took the back cover off and it says Made in Mexico. Well, at least it's on the same continent

Regardless, you know what I mean, with RIM... errr, Blackberry being Canadian and all.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

yea, Mexico is where most of the handsets were made...i think there was one or two models made here, and maybe a one or two made in Malaysia (or something like that), but a vast majority were made in Mexico...being part of NAFTA means they can get it made down there for a lot less than paying Canadians to make it.

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

to dirtyjeffer0
said by dirtyjeffer0:

said by Kitlope:

Well, they do have about 9,000 working in Canada. Though I did hear through the vine that some phones made in Mexico (typical) and Canada. Either way, you're supporting the North American economy, not the Chinese.

That said, no idea where the Z10 is made, somehow here, who has one, can tell us. Pull the battery off, and look for the "Made in *****" stamp.

Kitlope
join:2004-07-29
Edmonton, Ab

Kitlope

said by J E F F4:

said by dirtyjeffer0:

said by Kitlope:

Well, they do have about 9,000 working in Canada. Though I did hear through the vine that some phones made in Mexico (typical) and Canada. Either way, you're supporting the North American economy, not the Chinese.

That said, no idea where the Z10 is made, somehow here, who has one, can tell us. Pull the battery off, and look for the "Made in *****" stamp.

Look at my post above, it's made in Mexico.

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to J E F F4

Premium Member

to J E F F4
said by J E F F4:

Either way, you're supporting the North American economy, not the Chinese.

meh...exploiting Mexican workers is really no different than exploiting Chinese workers...Made in Mexico is really no different than Made in China...actually, in the case of something like this, which is likely 98% made by a machine, even if it was "Made in Canada", it would likely be assembled my machines from all over the world (largely Europe).

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

There's a bit more to that than just labour. Think chip security, and knocking off the product as well.

The Chinese are well known for it. "Give them one, and they'll make a million".

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

said by Juggernaut:

There's a bit more to that than just labour. Think chip security, and knocking off the product as well.

i don't disagree with you, but if you don't think they won't buy one (or 50) and ship them to China to reverse engineer it, you're being silly.

Juggernaut
Premium Member
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

You were talking about manufacturing scenarios, remember?

TLS2000
Premium Member
join:2004-02-24
Elmsdale, NS

TLS2000

Premium Member

It's not just that. Reverse engineering a complete devices is more complicated than reverse engineering a device that you've been given the complete specifications for, including the processor.

Juggernaut
Premium Member
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

Were you replying to DJ, or me?

TLS2000
Premium Member
join:2004-02-24
Elmsdale, NS

TLS2000

Premium Member

Both

Juggernaut
Premium Member
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

Well, that's why I made the point that China wouldn't be an option. Give them the specs, and it's copied faster than light. And, the encryption etc. Some are not legally able to be exported by law.

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to Kitlope

Premium Member

to Kitlope
said by Kitlope:

So it's still supporting the NA economy...directly. If more US companies were to choose Mexico, damn, the US would not be having the issues they're having now.
J E F F4

J E F F4 to Juggernaut

Premium Member

to Juggernaut
said by Juggernaut:

BINGO!

Yeah, that's another thing. Mexico isn't well known for that type of security breach. I mean, what guarantee do we have with the Chinese?! Only risk with Mexico is that you might have traces of the white powder...true story, by the way.

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to Juggernaut

Premium Member

to Juggernaut
said by Juggernaut:

Well, that's why I made the point that China wouldn't be an option. Give them the specs, and it's copied faster than light. And, the encryption etc. Some are not legally able to be exported by law.

and you're assuming they don't already have it...if they wanted it, they would have it...they have their ways (and have been caught numerous times already in various industries).
dirtyjeffer0

dirtyjeffer0 to J E F F4

Premium Member

to J E F F4
said by J E F F4:

said by Kitlope:

So it's still supporting the NA economy...directly. If more US companies were to choose Mexico, damn, the US would not be having the issues they're having now.

ummm, no...closing plants in the US, and putting those people out of work, does not help the US economy...a lot of manufacturing had moved to Mexico going back 10-15 years...a lot of it is still there, but a lot of it is moving back to the US over the past 5 years...that is part of why there is a bit of a recovery down there.