zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to shrug

Re: First nations group pulls out of pipeline hearings

said by shrug :

One group pulls out and another pulls in.

*shrug*

There is also an a first nations group pro oil and started their own thing and will grant access across their lands.

Personally I think they should just allow it. Better to have an oil spill there than across Quebec and Ontario.

NIMBY.

lol. I think the opposite. Having it go through BC they risk damaging some pretty sensitive rainforest ecosystems as well as coastal ecosystems.

A land spill could be rather contained (unless it gets into river/lake and spreads, which in BC is probably likely), but an Ocean based spill.

The revenue made from the pipeline (pipeline construction, pipeline maintenance, and operating a port in which to ship the oil) could all be wiped out through one Ocean based spill.

Knowing that everyone messes up in their job sooner or later, one would have to think and accident would eventually happen, especially if its a pretty high rate of tanker traffic.

When one spill can completely wipe out any economic benefit to the province, its hard to justify building it.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Privatize the profits, socialize the losses, isn't that the corporate way?

Xstar_Lumini

join:2008-12-14
Canada
kudos:2
said by elwoodblues:

Privatize the profits, socialize the losses, isn't that the corporate way?

Yes it is and our elected politicians abate and abide these corporate crooks.

shrug

@videotron.ca
reply to zod5000
said by zod5000:

lol. I think the opposite. Having it go through BC they risk damaging some pretty sensitive rainforest ecosystems as well as coastal ecosystems.

This is always the same argument BC'ers have to say. Nothing new here.

It's not like BC isn't heavy into mining, petroleum, fracking, and have literally lakes of waste that are diked up and crumbling and that can go at any time with a minor earthquake and devastate entire area's at any time, *as is*.

It's nice to pretend BC has none of the above. eh?

Sad reality is that all this and more is already there. Now be good Canadians and take Alberta's oil instead of shouting "Not In My Back Yard".

So before any more BC'ers try to say it could do this or that, it's best to know about your own environmental issues and the reality you have now which is a greater danger at this very moment than this plan on paper.

*shrug*

Besides, who are these people to say BC's marine ecosystem, or some forest that can recover, is more worth saving than that of the St. Laurence or the water-table throughout Ontario and Quebec?

NIMBY.

BC=NIMBY tree huggers ignoring their own environmental catastrophes waiting to happen at any time that pale in comparison to this.