join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..

1 edit

[Wind] Wind Mobile has new plans...

Wind has changed their plans..again..so, basically, in a nutshell:

$20 Unlimited Local, Text and 100 MB Data (up to $100 tab)
$30 Unlimited Provincial (the is new), Text and Data (up to $200 tab)
$40 Unlimited Canada-wide (no more USA), Text and Data (up to $300 tab)

USA can be added for $10 unlimited.

Data is still subject to "fair use" which means you're throttled after 5 GB (if you're able to reach it on their slow network - so throttling might actually be a moot point even if you reach it)

I am on the $29 promo, which is unlimited extended local, text and data. But for a dollar more, I can call all of Ontario..so I'll change my plan. (you're allowed to change to standard plans at any time)

Looks like Wind still wants to encourage people to just "BYOD" with their lower than average tabs. (though Rogers maxes out to about $500 now)

Here is a direct link to their plans. Don't bother clicking if you have an iPhone and have no plans on giving it up, since the iPhone won't work on this network. Otherwise, you're good.

»www.windmobile.ca/en/Pages/voice···35953281

--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2

In my latest call, Robbers says they are launching new plans to compete with Wind, ill be calling Feb 28, and if it's not to my liking will call the next day to cancel 30days)

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..

said by elwoodblues:

In my latest call, Robbers says they are launching new plans to compete with Wind, ill be calling Feb 28, and if it's not to my liking will call the next day to cancel 30days)

If Rogers could even come close, I'd consider. Right now, running two lines. I have issues with my iPhone, with an extended warranty, but the Rogers team is uninterested in fixing the phone, so I had to resort to going to Wind. Either way, though, I'm not signing a long term contract. 3-years should be illegal.

But knowing Rogers, they won't come even close to what Wind has. Even if they do, it will be in 'select' area's with certain terms and conditions.

Having no issues with Wind, other than less than stellar internet speeds, this might be my new permanent provider until Rogers buys them out. (like they did when I got screwed over when they bought Fido)
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

Robrr

join:2008-04-19
Guelph, ON
reply to elwoodblues

Given all of Rogers wireless plans went up by about $5/month today, I'd say they are not off to a good start if they are trying to compete with Wind.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to J E F F

I will be bringing my own devices, so no contract for me.

corster
Premium
join:2002-02-23
Gatineau, QC
reply to J E F F

I'm a Koodo customer now. Was with WIND for a year. May go back to them eventually. Could use the extra $25 a month, I suppose.

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to elwoodblues

said by elwoodblues:

i don't think your Rogers phone will work with them...doesn't Wind use AWS?

corster
Premium
join:2002-02-23
Gatineau, QC

said by dirtyjeffer:

said by elwoodblues:

Many phones are pentaband these days. Most new Android phones are, at the very least. I think the new Blackberry phones are too.

analog andy

join:2005-01-03
Surrey, BC
reply to J E F F

Also I believe with Wind if your tab is not paid off after three years they pay off the outstanding amount, so if you're on a TAB keep your phone for 3 years and only have to pay for part of it.

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
reply to corster

said by corster:

Many phones are pentaband these days. Most new Android phones are, at the very least. I think the new Blackberry phones are too.

most of the NEWEST phones are, yes...but i don't think elwood has a brand new phone.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to dirtyjeffer

No but my BIL works for BlackBerry, I already texted him for a price on the Z10

And if i don't get it within 60 days I'll just buy a cheapo phone to wait it out. (shudder)

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to J E F F

said by J E F F:

said by elwoodblues:

If Rogers could even come close, I'd consider. Right now, running two lines. I have issues with my iPhone, with an extended warranty, but the Rogers team is uninterested in fixing the phone, so I had to resort to going to Wind. Either way, though, I'm not signing a long term contract. 3-years should be illegal.

But knowing Rogers, they won't come even close to what Wind has. Even if they do, it will be in 'select' area's with certain terms and conditions.

Having no issues with Wind, other than less than stellar internet speeds, this might be my new permanent provider until Rogers buys them out. (like they did when I got screwed over when they bought Fido)

One would hope the government doesn't allow the big 3 to buy out the smaller companies. Didn't wind/mobilicity get certain privileges on one of the spectrum auctions because they were a new player? If they were able to be sold to an incumbant, then it really stifles the ability for competition because there wouldn't be spectrum for other players.

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
reply to elwoodblues

i would imagine the Z10 will likely be at least $400.

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to dirtyjeffer

said by dirtyjeffer:

said by elwoodblues:

It should work if unlocked, as long as it isn't an Apple phone. The iPhone's won't work because Apple uses a cheap radio. Although the new iPhone 5s (or 6) should work when they come out. (Thanks to T-Mobile and Rogers for buying AWS spectrum)
--

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON

elwood has a 3GS...and i don't understand your "cheap radio" comment.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to dirtyjeffer

We'll see, he could get a playbook for $100 bucks when they were being dumped for 200+

Xstar_Lumini

join:2008-12-14
Canada
reply to elwoodblues

I changed from Rogers to Wind and have not looked back. This was my plan under Rogers:

250 daytime minutes a month
free weekends and evenings (after 8:00pm)
Toll/long distance charge if calling from outside the GTA (even to another Rogers phone)
500 pathetic MB's a month
$6 for call ID extra
NO text messages $72 dollars

My actual plan with WIND:

Unlimited minutes calling anytime, to any phone
Unlimited text/video messaging
Unlimited DATA
Unlimited text messages
Canada-wide calling
Free ID call
Free call waiting
Free call forwarding $37/month taxes included

Data is only about 10% slower on WIND than on Rogers, whooopeee dooo, WIND has its own signal in 95% of the places where I go and work. I brought all my friends and wife to Wind.

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to analog andy

said by analog andy:

Also I believe with Wind if your tab is not paid off after three years they pay off the outstanding amount, so if you're on a TAB keep your phone for 3 years and only have to pay for part of it.

Yes...their subsidy works different than others.
--

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
reply to zod5000

I think I heard that one of the big 3 could buy if they the smaller had less than 5% of the market.
--

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to dirtyjeffer

said by dirtyjeffer:

elwood has a 3GS...and i don't understand your "cheap radio" comment.

Apple uses a cheaper radio to prevent users from bailing on their provider half-way into their contract. Apple is the only company that does that. I have an iPhone 4 and believe me, they're not world phones. Not only that, they're very hard to unlock, since Apple has to do it and it has to be done through iTunes.

If Apple wanted to put in a better radio, they could have, and likely will on their next device.
--

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
reply to elwoodblues

said by elwoodblues:

We'll see, he could get a playbook for $100 bucks when they were being dumped for 200+

i thought they were dumping playbooks for $100 at stores during some sale too, weren't they?

also, the playbook scenario isn't an example i would gauge it on, considering that price was artificially low because no one would buy them (as you said, they were dumping them).
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in

That was Christmas 2011 remember?

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON

well, i thought there were around that price for anyone (not just employees)...as i said, i would use the playbook example as a guide...unless of course sales of the Z10 are anything like the playbook (which i doubt).

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..

Looks like the Z10 is doing okay, sales wise, so no dumping. Elwood might be able to grab one for $300-$400 from his BIL. Rogers has them for $599 contract-free, so my guess that will be the price minus BB employee discount of $200, maybe $300. My buddy works there so I'll ask him.
--

Katzendreck

join:2003-09-29
Calgary, AB
reply to J E F F

The unlimited parts of their plan are nice, but being someone from the US I'm not a fan of this "local"/"provincial"/"nationwide" crap the mobile providers here pull, on top of egregious fees for CallerID and others. I gave Wind a shot, fully knowing they only service metro areas, but switched away after 4 or 5 months when their service was so bad in old Toronto of all places, I would regularly lose signal just entering my house's foyer.

Instead, about half a year ago I bought a Samsung Note (subsidised) with Bell and convinced them to immediately switch me to a flex tablet data plan. So for $20 ($35 if I go over 500MB, goes up to 5 or 6 GB, I've never used even half that in a month, I'd say only once or twice I've gone over 500MB) I get to use Google Voice/Talkatone (have two GV numbers, one an American number I ported from AT&T, another I circumvented their block to acquire an Alberta number from, so my wife can add that number to her Rogers My10) and call/text anywhere in North America, plus app has built in CallerID and voicemail/transcription that gets forwarded to my e-mail.

If you know what you're doing you can get the most even out of the Big 3.
--
Politicians realized from business that marketing is sufficient over quality, which is why politicians try and market their personalities rather than the quality of their work.

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..

What is your monthly?

My Rogers bill was $72 minus $13 in credit minus 12% bundled discount for $52+tax and "non" governmental governmental recovery fee's and ecolab fee's and Bob's your uncle fee. I was using an iPhone (which, while still under a 3rd party warranty, can't be fixed nor is Rogers willing to care) that seemed to chew through data even when not in use, so 1 GB of data was good for checking e-mail and that's it, otherwise I was going over huge.

BTW: There are simpler ways to add often called numbers that are US based. I was (am) using VoIP.ms, but might as well as change my plan to get what I need for $1 more.

My phone has gone out (Away) a handful of times in two months, but I haven't been charged any roaming minutes yet.

I know that the other providers (Bell, Rogers, Telus) do have better coverage, but you pay dearly for that, and I'm not willing to pay $95 plus strange fees. If I can get twice as much for 1/3 the price...

Like, really, who charges for Caller-ID? What the hell?
--

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to J E F F

said by J E F F:

Looks like the Z10 is doing okay, sales wise, so no dumping. Elwood might be able to grab one for $300-$400 from his BIL. Rogers has them for $599 contract-free, so my guess that will be the price minus BB employee discount of $200, maybe $300. My buddy works there so I'll ask him.

He said employee deals aren't setup yet, i think they want to launch the US before offering it to employees
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

graniterock
Premium
join:2003-03-14
London, ON
reply to J E F F

If only voicemail wasn't an extra $8 I'd consider moving away from the holiday miracle of 2011 to the $30 plan. Nice to see an unlimited data plan at the $30 mark.

Katzendreck

join:2003-09-29
Calgary, AB
reply to J E F F

said by J E F F:

What is your monthly?

My Rogers bill was $72 minus $13 in credit minus 12% bundled discount for $52+tax and "non" governmental governmental recovery fee's and ecolab fee's and Bob's your uncle fee. I was using an iPhone (which, while still under a 3rd party warranty, can't be fixed nor is Rogers willing to care) that seemed to chew through data even when not in use, so 1 GB of data was good for checking e-mail and that's it, otherwise I was going over huge.

BTW: There are simpler ways to add often called numbers that are US based. I was (am) using VoIP.ms, but might as well as change my plan to get what I need for $1 more.

My phone has gone out (Away) a handful of times in two months, but I haven't been charged any roaming minutes yet.

I know that the other providers (Bell, Rogers, Telus) do have better coverage, but you pay dearly for that, and I'm not willing to pay $95 plus strange fees. If I can get twice as much for 1/3 the price...

Like, really, who charges for Caller-ID? What the hell?

My monthly is a flex tablet plan so it depends on data, so it's one of the three:

1) $20/month for under 500MB of data usage
2) $35/month for 500MB-5 or 6GB of data usage
3) $35/month + per MB data charge I don't even know of since I won't ever exceed even 3 or 4 GB even with LTE.

When I went into the mall to buy the phone (Samsung Note) and open the account, Bell had me initially on something like a $70 plan with voice, data, etc., but all of that is irrelevant since I convinced a Bell rep to move me to their tablet plan which is nationwide (so don't even have to worry about this local/provincial/nation wide crap), and I use GV/Talkatone for free infinite calls/texts to anywhere in North America.
--
Politicians realized from business that marketing is sufficient over quality, which is why politicians try and market their personalities rather than the quality of their work.

jaberi

join:2010-08-13

i want to get a phone and a plan...."samsung note 2" is the one...it is priced at $700.00

yes, rogers has it for $149.00 with a 3 year contract....i'm not interested.....would wind or mobilicity be a better option....