dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to corster

Re: First nations group pulls out of pipeline hearings

said by corster:

Except if the LCBO ran it, we would be paying $2.60/litre for gas in the name of Social Responsibility

well, they wouldn't have a monopoly, they would have to compete on the open market with other refineries...the pricing would be the same as what we have, we would simply get some of the profits...the oil companies don't seem interested in extra refining capacity, we should do it ourselves.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
It's not so much they're not interested,the environmental hoops they have to jump through are huge.

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
said by elwoodblues:

It's not so much they're not interested,the environmental hoops they have to jump through are huge.

understandable...and there should be solid reasonable policies in place to protect the environment to minimize the impact should something happen.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to dirtyjeffer
said by dirtyjeffer:

said by corster:

Except if the LCBO ran it, we would be paying $2.60/litre for gas in the name of Social Responsibility

well, they wouldn't have a monopoly, they would have to compete on the open market with other refineries...the pricing would be the same as what we have, we would simply get some of the profits...the oil companies don't seem interested in extra refining capacity, we should do it ourselves.

Part of the problem is that gasoline demand is decreasing as vehicles get better mileage, hence that's PART of the calculus in closing refineries. The other part is to create scarcity of supply so prices go up in the face of declining demand.

I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on a Tesla S - I rather like the idea of going nearly 500Km on $6 of electricity vs. nearly $90 in my 2nd choice - a new BMW 5-series.