uniqs

obeythelaw
Premium Member
join:2003-04-16
Warren, NJ

obeythelaw

Premium Member

considering mac mini for office

I've had it with my Windows machine at work and am now ready to switch to a mac. All of my software I use is in the cloud now. I was considering an iMac but just too pricey for my business right now. I was considering going the mac mini option. I was considering the dual core i5 with 4 gigs of ram. I won't be doing any intensive photo or video editing. It will be strictly business. Emails and Internet and MS Office. Does anyone think that I have to go with the quad core i7? Would the dual core i5 suit my needs? I'm going from Windows 7 with 4 gigs of RAM and had a dual core pentium. Not an i5. I'm assuming the dual core i5 will be faster than my aging dual core pentium.

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike

Mod

i5 will be fine.

There are a lot of hidden fees with minis. ie - video converter if you're not HDMI, keyboard, mouse, applecare. If you have third party ones, then that is fine.

obeythelaw
Premium Member
Warren, NJ

obeythelaw

Premium Member

Yeah, I'm going to use my current mouse, my usb keyboard and my standard monitor. If it was for my personal use I would probably go with an iMac but really just for biz. The way I see it, it's $599 plus tax and that's it. I also have an apple gift card and a few visa gift cards from the holidays. My out of pocket will be no more than $300.00.
kitsune
join:2001-11-26
Sacramento, CA

kitsune to obeythelaw

to obeythelaw
If you are using your own monitor check for either an HDMI or displayport connector. If it doesn't have either one then you will need an adapter to connect it to the Mac Mini.
rugby
I think I know it all.
join:2000-09-26
Plainfield, IN

rugby to obeythelaw

to obeythelaw
Minis come with hdmi to DVI adapters still so you should be fine on that front.

If you can swing the extra $200 then get the i7, the quad core will make your machine last longer.

My main machine is a retina macbook pro tricked out with pretty much every option, however my new mini is a respectable machine. 16GB of ram certainly helps, as does the SSD I shoe-horned into it.

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person
join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA

not quite right to obeythelaw

to obeythelaw
I almost wish Apple would change the name of the Mini to something else ... a lot people seem to have some preconceived notion that it's lacking or under powered which simply not true.
getina50
join:2001-07-08
Waynesville, NC

getina50 to obeythelaw

to obeythelaw
Have you used Microsoft Office for Macintosh? About the only similarity is the name. They are very different products.

The Macintosh platform is a great platform, however if you have a Windows domain, Windows 7 Professional/Enterprise/Ultimate are excellent platforms too.

What other software do you run?

Depending on the "cloud" (fog) could be a train wreck waiting to happen.

With that said, the mini is a good machine overall - just a laptop with no monitor stuffed into a small case. RAM is upgradable.

neuronbob
Cavs NBA Champs 2016
join:2000-03-30
Bedford, OH

neuronbob to obeythelaw

to obeythelaw
I have been using Minis in my office since the original G4 model was released. Your office work will be just fine with a small footprint. My staff appreciates the room.

We have a 2012 i5 Mini now and it allows me to runWindows as needed...but we don't need it.

For my needs, MS Office for Mac is just fine.

Our EMR is in the cloud and we have a rock solid cable connection that's gone down only once in the five years we've had it. We have a local backup in the rare chance the cloud goes down.

Do it! For general office use you don't need more than a Mini.

obeythelaw
Premium Member
Warren, NJ

obeythelaw

Premium Member

I should have mentioned that I use a Mac at home and I use MS Office for Mac 2011 so I am familiar with the Mac version of Office. I know it lacks a few features in the Windows version but I really only need to type letters in Word and open up Word docs and Excel docs here and there. I'm not concerned about Word.
obeythelaw

obeythelaw

Premium Member

Right now, I have my monitor hooked into the standard "VGA" port on the rear of the computer. However, the monitor does have a DVI output. Do I need to buy a separate cable or will the included or will the HDMI to DVI adapter included work?

Mike
Mod
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike

Mod

Only thing included is the power cord.

You would need the HDMI to DVI adapter.

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

Nezmo

MVM

said by Mike:

Only thing included is the power cord.

You would need the HDMI to DVI adapter.

As has been mentioned in this thread, an HDMI to DVI adapter is included in the box with a mini.

Mike
Mod
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike

Mod

What since when?

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

Nezmo

MVM

said by Mike:

What since when?

Have no clue.

I got one with my late 2012 mini and if you check the Apple Website you'll see it listed too.

Mike
Mod
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike

Mod

Oh man I had to buy mine in 2010.

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person
join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA

not quite right to obeythelaw

to obeythelaw
Mine came with the DVI adapter as well ...

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

1 edit

skeechan to Mike

Premium Member

to Mike
Both my mini's came with adapters. The 2010 came with an HDMI to DVI adapter. I think my 2011 was DP to DVI. I did have to buy a dual-link adapter (but it didn't work for crap).

kerriskandie
join:2001-10-09
Coram, NY

kerriskandie to obeythelaw

to obeythelaw
2012 Mini i5 2.5Ghz comes with dedicated HDMI in/out....mine did!!!!