reply to tberg
Good Retention experience also Thanks for all your experiences.
I'll try to lay it out as it went down.
1. This was the Friday during the outage week.
2. I've been a customer since 2008, and had noticed my bill continually rising, to ~$155/mo. for U200, no HD, maybe an HBO/Cinemax promo I forgot to cancel, 12 down/1.5 up (?), Motorola VIP 1216 DVR, 3800HGV-8 router, (1) TV, (1) internet pc, no cell, no landline.
3. U-verse has always been great for me. Much better to go straight to Tier 2 and speak to someone who's native language is English. I must have (9) of their cheap remotes because mine keep going out, I have them ship me (3) at a time.
4. I didn't really want to muck with switching, but, knew I was leaving a lot of $$$'s on the table. And....Dallas/Ft. Worth, I've got Dish, Direct, DSL/Roku, Time Warner I could toss at them.
5. I called, and commiserated that I'm sorry they were getting so many people trashing them because of the outage, and that wasn't why I was calling, cuz I figure things happen. I immediately asked for my next (3) bill due dates, which I was given.
6. I explained that I had always been happy with U-Verse, but, because of the economy, I just had to go cheaper with one of the other carriers, and I knew there was no way they could bring the price down enough. I was told they might....but, I said I knew they couldn't and I didn't want anything extra....just needed the bill due dates.
7. Then, we started talking, and I pulled out the competitors, but had not decided yet. We were both very polite during it all.
8. Up sell--Nope, gotta be lower price, but I know they can't come close. When we were done, I think I'm going to be paying ~$90-$95/mo. with a 1 yr. contract. They upped to U300, HD, Showtime package.....I said I'd like 18 down....OK. Nope to cell. Offered to save me $12/mo. on landline. Nope to VOIP. Still saved me $6 to keep straight landline. All the above for 1yr., but landline month to month, and was reminded that I would get $20 credit because of outage.
Yes, I did have the competitor card and played it hard. All in all, I think a fair deal all around. Questions--Links or answers please. Largest hard drive I can pop in? 320GB now. I'd like to go to 1TB. Anything else worthwhile to look at upgrading on the router or DVR?
Thank y'all for your time. I hope this helps, and any suggestions are welcomed.