how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to McBrain

Re: Putting together my upgrade and the budget is in...

Spend the extra $36 on 4 good(quiet but strong) fans for the h100.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

join:2010-05-06
Kalimdor
kudos:2

I've got a couple of these sitting in a box gathering dust.

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···35213002

Fuckers sound like jet engines though...I have to determine where I'm going to mount the H100 on my Rosewill Thor v2 before I decide exactly what to do with the fans though.

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to McBrain

I'd like to go with an H100 cooler, but my case has all 140mm fans. The cooler only attaches to 120mm fans, or so I've read.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to me1212

said by me1212:

Spend the extra $36 on 4 good(quiet but strong) fans for the h100.

I have Yate Loons (available at FrozenCPU.com) on my H100. I only can manage two in my HAF922 case, but it's possible the Thor V2 can take 4.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Gordo74
Premium
join:2003-10-28
Monroeville, PA
reply to McBrain

Double

Gordo74
Premium
Monroeville, PA

1 edit
reply to McBrain

I personally would have skipped the H100 cooler, put a nice quiet fan on the 212, and threw the extra money into the 1440p monitor. 2 7870's would have driven it just fine.

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to Ghastlyone

Get the cracken x60, it uses 140mm fans and is also a dual rad.

Venom1

join:2011-10-21
Augusta, GA
reply to McBrain

said by McBrain:

Ok, I just placed my order on amazon. I chose amazon because they ship to FPO addresses for free...saving me $45 over newegg.
Here's what I just ordered:
Intel i5 3570k
ASUS Sabertooth Z77 Motherboard
Corsair H100 Water Cooling System
Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB DDR3 1600 Memory (bringing me to 16GB total)
MSI R7870 HAWK GHz Edition TwinFrozr (for CrossFire)

/jealous. I couldn't spare any money this year from my tax return. Apparently doing burnouts infront of a Sherrif's deputy on a public road, and a major thorough-fare at that, at 6pm is a bad idea. And expensive. No more drifting around median dividers for me. "But officer, my foot slipped off the clutch, I was just holding on for dear life!"
--
For Rogues, by Rogues, to be used at the Rogue drive through when you order a side-order of Rogue.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor

I got lucky this year...the wife had a spot in her heart for me since I just PCS'ed to Okinawa unaccompanied.

All my parts shipped, and should be to me in Okinawa by the end of the first week in March.

Like I said, I'm really stoked about this monstrous overhaul and more than ready to post pictures of the build.

Does anyone have any creative suggestions for the H100 mounting in my Thor v2? I really wouldn't mind an outside mount of the radiator but I don't have the parts on hand right now, making it pretty tough for me to brainstorm a creative solution. And searching for build pics on the web is a crapshoot...half the pics I get are of other cases.

Anyone with experience with this cooler have any suggestions on an alternative to mounting in the top of the case?
--
McBrain#1430

Name's Ash...Housewares.

Let me put it this way. Have you ever heard of Plato, Aristotle, Socrates?...Morons.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor
reply to Venom1

So the old rig just got here and low and behold the damn thing won't boot.

It seems a lot like the problem I had back in the fall where the HDMI signal wasn't getting from the GPU to the monitor.

I'm pretty pissed, because I want to play some games. I can't seem to find any solution online to the problem other than "RMA the card", which is am impossibility for me since I'm fairly positive MSI won't ship anything to me at my FPO address.

At this point I'm just hoping it's a motherboard or GPU problem, since pretty much the only part I don't have a replacement ordered for is the PSU.

I've tried everything I can think of to fix this problem...reseated the card, moved it to the other PCIe slot, flipped the dual BIOS switch on the card...everything I can think of and none of it has worked. I don't have any other PCs I can plug parts into to pinpont the problem.

The lone upside to this is that TMO just delivered my PC today, and I have 75 days to file a claim if anything is lost or damaged. I'm pretty sure I'll be filing one for my rig. All I know is that it worked the day before they took it and now it doesn't.
--
McBrain#1430

Name's Ash...Housewares.

Let me put it this way. Have you ever heard of Plato, Aristotle, Socrates?...Morons.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

Did you take out the GPU before shipping it, take off the CPU cooler (if a tower and not something low-profile like the Corsair Hydro), and unmount the HDDs and wrap them in an abundance of bubble wrap?
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Dissembled

join:2008-01-23
Indianapolis, IN
reply to McBrain

said by McBrain:

So the old rig just got here and low and behold the damn thing won't boot.

It seems a lot like the problem I had back in the fall where the HDMI signal wasn't getting from the GPU to the monitor.

It won't boot or you can't see anything on your monitor? Sorry, that part confused me a bit. You're powering on and just not getting anything at all?

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor

Yeah powering on, all lights and fans are working, just nothing showing on the monitor. I get "No input signal" on the screen when I turn it on and it goes to sleep. The keyboard's leds aren't turning on either, but they don't normally come on until Windows starts to boot.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor

1 edit
reply to Dissembled

On a good note, a guy that works with me just upgraded from SLI GTX 570s to SLI GTX 680s. He said he's got the 570s collecting dust in his office and will "give" them to me.

Anyone know what I should offer him for them if they end up working out well for me?

Even though I just bought another r7870, I figure SLI 570s will blow away a single 7870 (considering my current 7870 has probably shit the bed).

Edit: My buddy took my 7870 home with him today to plug into his rig, and it was the GPU that was the problem (just as I suspected). He's bringing me the 570s tomorrow. YAY!
--
McBrain#1430

Name's Ash...Housewares.

Dissembled

join:2008-01-23
Indianapolis, IN
reply to McBrain

I would say the good lord has smiled upon you this day McBrain. Be thankful and give praise.

Sweet deal. Hope you're up and running again soon.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to McBrain

»www.hwcompare.com/12208/geforce-···hd-7870/

Gordo74
Premium
Monroeville, PA
reply to McBrain

Here's some real world benchmarks to compare. »www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/548?vs=518

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor
reply to Dissembled

Everything is up and running beautifully. Even got my 16GB of RAM installed and operating fully. Got my H100 in the mail yesterday, and it's sitting on top of my desk waiting to be installed when my CPU/MOBO arrive.

The only downside is that I'm only running one of the 570s right now. A PSU upgrade is needed, which will be coming around March 15.

Overall I'm excited...I haven't played games in 2 1/2 months. Oo and the dude said I could get the twin 570s off him for $100, which I'm totally game for.
--
McBrain#1430

Name's Ash...Housewares.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor
reply to Krisnatharok

Click for full size
Parts are rolling in. Just waiting on the CPU...strangely enough it was shipped at the same time as the motherboard, but it didn't arrive today with the other packages. Here's hoping it isn't lost, and that the wife put insurance on it.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor

Click for full size
Parts are all in.

Build starting in a few...I'll post updates.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

Sweet!!!

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor

Had some issues with mounting the radiator. Rad+Fans inside the top of the case left about 1/4" overhang that prevented me from plugging the main power into my board. So I put fans on top of the case (under the top "fins") and radiator inside the case. Now there's plenty of room, I've just gotta mod the top of the case so crap can't fall into the fans.

Pictures are incoming soon.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor
reply to McBrain

Click for full size
Initial rad+fan setup
Click for full size
Mobo in with revised rad+fan setup
Click for full size
Cooling block on
Click for full size
Top of case in need of some fan protection
Here are a few pics, mostly showing how I had to set up the fans and radiator in order for them to fit well.

My case is now in need of a mod, but that shouldn't be too difficult. Just throw some black mess or honeycomb material up top there to act as a fan guard.

I'm yet to tinker with my BIOS settings for OC, last night was filled with downloading drivers, etc. I was able to dl and run CPU-Z and CPUID HW monitor while I ran a Windows Experience Index (7.7). At stock settings, the CPU was running at 4.2GHz during the test (weird, imo), and temps got up to 50c (29-30c at idle). I'll be grabbing Prime95 today and messing with my BIOS setting a little, I'd like to sit around 4.5ish GHz when it's all said and done.

I've read complaints about the radiator fans on the H100 being really loud, I've got mine plugged into the fan controller, and when they're turned down, they're actually much quieter than my old set up...when they're on full blast it's another story, especially with them being mounted outside the case.

Overall I'm really pleased with this setup, and I'll make a couple more posts with some OC results and benchmarks, if anyone is interested.
--
McBrain#1430

Name's Ash...Housewares.

Gordo74
Premium
Monroeville, PA
reply to McBrain

That honeycomb mesh under it is seriously hurting the airflow of the fans. It seems there would be enough room to put them on the inside, no?

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor

No, there isn't room.

The motherboard will mount (as you can see in the top photograph), but the radiator hangs over the top edge of the motherboard just enough to block the 8-pin power connector (white connector seen just under the radiator in the cooling block pic).

Taking off that honeycomb mesh is no issue, a Dremel would make quick work of it. Just make a rectangular hole just inside the pre-drilled mounting holes for the radiator/fans.
--
McBrain#1430

Name's Ash...Housewares.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor
reply to McBrain

Highest OC I can boot Windows at currently.

I'm about to run stress test and see where it goes.

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO

Holy crap! Am I reading that right, 1.2V for a 4.6ghz overclock? Very nice!

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor

Yeah any higher voltage wouldn't boot windows. Any higher multiplier wouldn't boot windows. And any higher bus speed with lower multiplier wouldn't boot.

This looks like the max for me at my current knowledge level.

I'm starting Prime95 now.
--

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO

Oh, well I hope its stable for you. A 4.6ghz ivy bridge chip should preform like a boss.

On a side note ever since learning what P95 was created for and then my teachers immediate comments on overclocking I chuckle(in a good way) seeing it used for stress testing overclocks.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor

1 edit

5 min into stress test, I'm still good.

Max temp 77c @ core #1.

Most cores are staying within the 68c-72c range. Core #1 is sticking between 74c-76c.

Edit: Got a rounding error from Worker #2 fifteen minutes into the test (I assume that's the worker assigned to core #1). Got Windows to boot at 1.205v, going to run my test again.