Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to McBrain

Premium Member

to McBrain

Re: Putting together my upgrade and the budget is in...

Did you take out the GPU before shipping it, take off the CPU cooler (if a tower and not something low-profile like the Corsair Hydro), and unmount the HDDs and wrap them in an abundance of bubble wrap?

Raible
join:2008-01-23
Plainfield, IN

Raible to McBrain

to McBrain
said by McBrain:

So the old rig just got here and low and behold the damn thing won't boot.

It seems a lot like the problem I had back in the fall where the HDMI signal wasn't getting from the GPU to the monitor.

It won't boot or you can't see anything on your monitor? Sorry, that part confused me a bit. You're powering on and just not getting anything at all?

McBrain
BRB Face Melting
join:2010-05-06
Marietta, GA

McBrain

Yeah powering on, all lights and fans are working, just nothing showing on the monitor. I get "No input signal" on the screen when I turn it on and it goes to sleep. The keyboard's leds aren't turning on either, but they don't normally come on until Windows starts to boot.
McBrain

1 edit

McBrain to Raible

to Raible
On a good note, a guy that works with me just upgraded from SLI GTX 570s to SLI GTX 680s. He said he's got the 570s collecting dust in his office and will "give" them to me.

Anyone know what I should offer him for them if they end up working out well for me?

Even though I just bought another r7870, I figure SLI 570s will blow away a single 7870 (considering my current 7870 has probably shit the bed).

Edit: My buddy took my 7870 home with him today to plug into his rig, and it was the GPU that was the problem (just as I suspected). He's bringing me the 570s tomorrow. YAY!

Raible
join:2008-01-23
Plainfield, IN

Raible to McBrain

to McBrain
I would say the good lord has smiled upon you this day McBrain. Be thankful and give praise.

Sweet deal. Hope you're up and running again soon.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to McBrain

Premium Member

to McBrain
»www.hwcompare.com/12208/ ··· hd-7870/

Gordo74
Premium Member
join:2003-10-28
Pittsburgh, PA

Gordo74 to McBrain

Premium Member

to McBrain
Here's some real world benchmarks to compare. »www.anandtech.com/bench/ ··· 8?vs=518

McBrain
BRB Face Melting
Marietta, GA

McBrain to Raible

to Raible
Everything is up and running beautifully. Even got my 16GB of RAM installed and operating fully. Got my H100 in the mail yesterday, and it's sitting on top of my desk waiting to be installed when my CPU/MOBO arrive.

The only downside is that I'm only running one of the 570s right now. A PSU upgrade is needed, which will be coming around March 15.

Overall I'm excited...I haven't played games in 2 1/2 months. Oo and the dude said I could get the twin 570s off him for $100, which I'm totally game for.
McBrain

McBrain to Krisnatharok

to Krisnatharok
Click for full size
Parts are rolling in. Just waiting on the CPU...strangely enough it was shipped at the same time as the motherboard, but it didn't arrive today with the other packages. Here's hoping it isn't lost, and that the wife put insurance on it.
McBrain

McBrain

Click for full size
Parts are all in.

Build starting in a few...I'll post updates.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Sweet!!!

McBrain
BRB Face Melting
Marietta, GA

McBrain

Had some issues with mounting the radiator. Rad+Fans inside the top of the case left about 1/4" overhang that prevented me from plugging the main power into my board. So I put fans on top of the case (under the top "fins") and radiator inside the case. Now there's plenty of room, I've just gotta mod the top of the case so crap can't fall into the fans.

Pictures are incoming soon.
McBrain

McBrain

Click for full size
Initial rad+fan setup
Click for full size
Mobo in with revised rad+fan setup
Click for full size
Cooling block on
Click for full size
Top of case in need of some fan protection
Here are a few pics, mostly showing how I had to set up the fans and radiator in order for them to fit well.

My case is now in need of a mod, but that shouldn't be too difficult. Just throw some black mess or honeycomb material up top there to act as a fan guard.

I'm yet to tinker with my BIOS settings for OC, last night was filled with downloading drivers, etc. I was able to dl and run CPU-Z and CPUID HW monitor while I ran a Windows Experience Index (7.7). At stock settings, the CPU was running at 4.2GHz during the test (weird, imo), and temps got up to 50c (29-30c at idle). I'll be grabbing Prime95 today and messing with my BIOS setting a little, I'd like to sit around 4.5ish GHz when it's all said and done.

I've read complaints about the radiator fans on the H100 being really loud, I've got mine plugged into the fan controller, and when they're turned down, they're actually much quieter than my old set up...when they're on full blast it's another story, especially with them being mounted outside the case.

Overall I'm really pleased with this setup, and I'll make a couple more posts with some OC results and benchmarks, if anyone is interested.

Gordo74
Premium Member
join:2003-10-28
Pittsburgh, PA

Gordo74 to McBrain

Premium Member

to McBrain
That honeycomb mesh under it is seriously hurting the airflow of the fans. It seems there would be enough room to put them on the inside, no?

McBrain
BRB Face Melting
Marietta, GA

McBrain

No, there isn't room.

The motherboard will mount (as you can see in the top photograph), but the radiator hangs over the top edge of the motherboard just enough to block the 8-pin power connector (white connector seen just under the radiator in the cooling block pic).

Taking off that honeycomb mesh is no issue, a Dremel would make quick work of it. Just make a rectangular hole just inside the pre-drilled mounting holes for the radiator/fans.
McBrain

McBrain

Highest OC I can boot Windows at currently.

I'm about to run stress test and see where it goes.
me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO

me1212

Holy crap! Am I reading that right, 1.2V for a 4.6ghz overclock? Very nice!

McBrain
BRB Face Melting
Marietta, GA

McBrain

Yeah any higher voltage wouldn't boot windows. Any higher multiplier wouldn't boot windows. And any higher bus speed with lower multiplier wouldn't boot.

This looks like the max for me at my current knowledge level.

I'm starting Prime95 now.
me1212
Lees Summit, MO
·Google Fiber

me1212

Oh, well I hope its stable for you. A 4.6ghz ivy bridge chip should preform like a boss.

On a side note ever since learning what P95 was created for and then my teachers immediate comments on overclocking I chuckle(in a good way) seeing it used for stress testing overclocks.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting
Marietta, GA

1 edit

McBrain

5 min into stress test, I'm still good.

Max temp 77c @ core #1.

Most cores are staying within the 68c-72c range. Core #1 is sticking between 74c-76c.

Edit: Got a rounding error from Worker #2 fifteen minutes into the test (I assume that's the worker assigned to core #1). Got Windows to boot at 1.205v, going to run my test again.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to McBrain

Premium Member

to McBrain
You're probably only going to manage ~20fps in WoW dude at that clock.

Hopefully you can get up to 5.0ghz to get some better frame rates at max settings.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting
Marietta, GA

McBrain

I know right...Sucks that shit is so demanding.

I better stick to Minecraft with this setup.
me1212
Lees Summit, MO

me1212

Minecraft is even worse!

Hopefully you get a stable OC, without having to lower the clock, its so nice to have an overclocked SB/IB.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting
Marietta, GA

McBrain

I keep getting an error from good ol' Worker #2.

Second test lasted 17 minutes...I dropped the clock to 4.59 with the same 1.2v, trying that out.

I will "settle" for 4.5, but I'm trying my damndest to get that 4.6, lol
me1212
Lees Summit, MO

me1212

4.5ghz is still good, my 2500k is at 4.5ghz. Still blazing fast, and yours will be about 4% faster than mine at that speed.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting
Marietta, GA

McBrain

4.55GHz, Prime95 stable for 1 hour.

Going to test it overnight while I sleep tonight...just to be certain.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to McBrain

Premium Member

to McBrain
What case is that? Is that a Thor?

McBrain
BRB Face Melting
Marietta, GA

McBrain

Si. It is a Thor, and it's amazing. I'm pretty sure it was you and/or Ghastlyone that put me on to Rosewill cases, whoever it was, I'm really glad you guys did.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

And the H100 won't fit inside with the fans? Are you running four fans in push/pull? I find that hard to believe, as my H100 w/2 fans fits nicely inside my HAF922, which is a mid-tower.

I have my Thor V2 but haven't moved everything over yet. I might need to do that quickly in case I need to return the case...

McBrain
BRB Face Melting
Marietta, GA

McBrain

The problem was more than likely with the location of the 8-pin power connector on the motherboard, not with the space at the top of the case.

All the other components would have fit fine, but that connector is about an inch higher on the new board than on my old one.

I will take a better pic of it right now and post it for you to take a look at.