uniqs
share rss forum feed

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

join:2010-05-06
Kalimdor
kudos:2
reply to Krisnatharok

Re: Putting together my upgrade and the budget is in...

Click for full size
Click for full size
The orange rectangle in the photos represents where the fans would put the radiator if they were inside the case.

The 8-pin connector is inverted on my old board and about a half an inch below the end of the board. The 8-pin connector on the new board is horizontal and flush with the top of the board, the pin clip is also on the top side on the board, causing the housing to extend above the board when the cable is inserted into the connector.

Hopefully that gives you an idea of what the issue was. Like I said, it's my opinion that the geography of the motherboard was the antagonist in this situation, not the lack of space available in the upper part of the case.

Hope this helps.
--
[url=http://valid.canardpc.com/2717527][img]»valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/···g][/url]

Let me put it this way. Have you ever heard of Plato, Aristotle, Socrates?...Morons.

s1deout
Geek4Life
Premium
join:2003-12-10
Troy, OH

I top mounted my CoolerMaster Seidon 120 unit but then in my case , Corsair Vengence 70 , space isn't an issue

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor

It'll be an easy fix with a Dremel, some black mesh, and about 18 square inches of black honeycomb.

I actually like the way the fans look up top...once I can do some finishing work on them I think it will be pretty unique and quite appealing.

Blockfire
Sarcasm is my native tongue

join:2010-02-11
Wichita, KS
kudos:1
reply to McBrain

i'm wondering if you can turn the part of the cooler that sits on the cpu 180 degrees and move the radiator closer to the front of the case

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor

said by Blockfire:

i'm wondering if you can turn the part of the cooler that sits on the cpu 180 degrees and move the radiator closer to the front of the case

That would be possible, but it'd still take case modifications. I'd have to drill holes in the ceiling of the case, and possibly install a support for the front part of the radiator if I moved it any further forward.

The thing is, with the way the Thor v2 is designed, the fans don't actually protrude above the top of the case. The plastic housing that holds the louvers is raised about an inch and a half above the top of the actual steel framework of the case. I could remove the two remaining louvers and lay some fan protection right on top. If I did it right, you wouldn't even be able to tell the fans were there at all.
--

Let me put it this way. Have you ever heard of Plato, Aristotle, Socrates?...Morons.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

Click for full size
Hey man, I just put my build together and was able to get the H100 to play nice with an EATX motherboard, which has power pins along the top as well. I was able to mount the H100 more towards the side of the case instead of using the holes for the 2x 120mm fans.

Here's a pic--apologies for the quality. I'm going to get some better shots tonight with a real camera.

--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1

Nice pr0n,...errr,....I mean PC pix,.....

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

I'm trying to keep all the pics in my MOAB thread, but I know McBrain had had problems with the H100 playing nice with his Thor, so I wanted to post my solution.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.