spc
uniqs
mlord
join:2006-11-05
Kanata, ON

mlord to MrMazda86

to MrMazda86

Re: Upgrading Firmware on DCM-476 modems

The modem with older 02.31 firmware may have issues with channel-bonding, depending upon exactly what Rogers does to the cable system in your area. Or it may behave nicely.

In any event, you'll likely have trouble getting it reactivated if you ever switch ISPs.

Cheers
MrMazda86 (banned)
join:2013-01-29
Kitchener, ON

MrMazda86 (banned)

Good to know. I think I'll be taking it to Teddy Boom to have it upgraded. I don't want to run into problems if they can be avoided and would much rather upgrade the existing modem, rather than be at the mercy of Rogers to have to buy a new one.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom

Premium Member

MrMazda86, in general, if everything is working well, you should leave the firmware as is. Only upgrade when you have problems.

Now considering you are so far away, it might make sense to work on the upgrade the next time you come by this area, or Ottawa, regardless of problems. I wouldn't go to any special effort at this point though. Just file it away for later
evox_85
join:2013-02-05

2 recommendations

evox_85 to MrMazda86

to MrMazda86
I just took my modem to Teddy Boom's house yesterday night and it was a very fast fix took him only 10min. Thank You for helping me! Everything works fine and well now!. Firmwire is now up to date, thank you!.
MrMazda86 (banned)
Kitchener, ON

MrMazda86 (banned) to Teddy Boom

to Teddy Boom
I will keep that in mind. I may end up making a special trip anyway because of circumstances beyond my control that will be coming up in the spring so as to avoid any possible issue when I'm not around for a while. What is the cost for this upgrade (if any)?

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom

Premium Member

I charge $10.
MrMazda86 (banned)
Kitchener, ON

MrMazda86 (banned)

said by Teddy Boom:

I charge $10.

Sweet deal. From the sounds of it, you offer stellar service at a reasonable price.