dslreports logo
site
 
    All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer




how-to block ads


Search Topic:
uniqs
997
share rss forum feed


Modus
I hate smartassery on forums
Premium
join:2005-05-02
us

Dell goes private

How do you guys feel about Dell going private?

I'm a 90% dell shop here (desktops, laptops, servers & san) the other 10% is Hp gear but it's tide to a vendor solution.
--
Think Ahead. Learn More. Solve Now!


Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
kudos:1

I foresee a lot more emphasis on in-house software and licensing sales. Don't screw with the business class hardware. That's all I ask.



XPAMD
Premium
join:2002-06-08
united state
reply to Modus

As a vendor you'll see little in the way of changes in the short term. It's more financial than anything Mr Dell won't have to worry about he constraints of being a publicly traded company, too much emphasis on pleasing the investor than trying to grow the business. Investors tend to hate risks (look at Verizon FIOS--they're investors hated it).

I'm sure there will be changes eventually to products lines to reduce costs, such as the various type and models of laptops and desktops.

This article has three points as to why:
»www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/0···465.html

To quote a portion of the article that I alluded to "...Dell is itching to enter new businesses, a risk that's harder to take with Wall Street looking over its shoulder. Michael Dell has said he's into "pruning" his PC business for a while. "

I'm sure their more successful business products won't see much in the way of changes, but as to any business you can't please everyone!


H_T_R_N
Premium
join:2011-12-06
Valencia, PA
kudos:1
reply to Modus

I thought I heard MS was interested in buying them. It was said during a morning news show of sorts. I heard it while at a clients, and it didn't register until after I left, so I wasn't able to see what show it was.



DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to Modus

Does this mean they'll stop spaming me?

we dropped dell for HP some years ago. and couldn't be happier
--
»Death Star Petition



Modus
I hate smartassery on forums
Premium
join:2005-05-02
us

I thought about doing the same but hopefully they don't make any changes to the enterprise offerings
--
Think Ahead. Learn More. Solve Now!



Badger3k
We Don't Need No Stinkin Badgers
Premium
join:2001-09-27
Franklin, OH
reply to H_T_R_N

MS put up cash along with the investment firms and banks. I think it was like 2 billion or something like that.
--
Team Discovery: Project Hope



Modus
I hate smartassery on forums
Premium
join:2005-05-02
us

yep they did i bet you that was to push them to sale more windows 8 and maybe surface tablets
--
Think Ahead. Learn More. Solve Now!



Badger3k
We Don't Need No Stinkin Badgers
Premium
join:2001-09-27
Franklin, OH

said by Modus:

yep they did i bet you that was to push them to sale more windows 8 and maybe surface tablets

Well for one, Surface tablets are made my Microsoft on their own not by any other vendor. And second, this goes way beyond just Windows 8. If Dell or any other PC maker goes down of course Microsoft and a lot of other vendors are going to feel it.
--
Team Discovery: Project Hope


AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1
reply to Modus

said by Modus:

I'm a 90% dell shop here (desktops, laptops, servers & san) the other 10% is Hp gear but it's tide to a vendor solution.

In other words, you are a wintel shop.
--
* seek help if having trouble coping
--Standard disclaimers apply.--


williamray507
No More Mr Nice Guy
Premium
join:2001-10-04
Kernersville, NC
reply to DarkLogix

said by DarkLogix:

Does this mean they'll stop spaming me?

we dropped dell for HP some years ago. and couldn't be happier

We dropped dell a few years ago for HP also, but I hate it. HP's support is nothing when side by side to dell.
--
"I think I see the light at the end of the tunnel, Oh wait it's the train"