spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

GirgleMirt

join:2002-11-01
Saint-Laurent, QC

[Internet] Montreal adsl speeds for the 5 mbps service?

I'm just curious what the average Bell adsl customer in Montreal gets in terms of download speeds... I'm getting an extremely bad service from a bell dsl reseller, but it's not the reseller's fault, it's bell who claims I'm "too far", although as you can see on the left, I'm in STL which shouldn't cause any problems...

I'm currently on interleave, meaning absolutely horrendous latency (50ms to 1st hop). So they'll probably lower my speed, from the current 3.3mbps to a laughable 2.4mbps... (300KB/s d/l)

»www.speedtest.net/

Thanks!

kovy

join:2009-03-26
kudos:8

said by GirgleMirt:

I'm just curious what the average Bell adsl customer in Montreal gets in terms of download speeds... I'm getting an extremely bad service from a bell dsl reseller, but it's not the reseller's fault, it's bell who claims I'm "too far", although as you can see on the left, I'm in STL which shouldn't cause any problems...

I'm currently on interleave, meaning absolutely horrendous latency (50ms to 1st hop). So they'll probably lower my speed, from the current 3.3mbps to a laughable 2.4mbps... (300KB/s d/l)

»www.speedtest.net/

Thanks!

Well if you qualify for faster speed, then there's obviously a remote.

julienvf

join:2008-12-30
Verdun, QC
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Acanac
reply to GirgleMirt

said by GirgleMirt:

»www.speedtest.net/

Thanks!

You might want to consider mooving to cable. For 24,95$/month, teksavvy offers you 5mb down and 1 up with 300gb monthly allowance, no dry loop fee to pay.

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:11
reply to GirgleMirt

There's a whole post explaining everything to the OP in Canadian Broadband. »Does Bell screws its reseller's customers?

GirgleMirt

join:2002-11-01
Saint-Laurent, QC

2 edits
reply to GirgleMirt

[deleted but since can't delete a post...]

Yeah I'll probably go with the 10mbps because switching to cable seems to have a much higher cost, around 200 vs 100, and in the end, for 40 something you do hopefully get 10mbps vs 6 @ 25...

TSI modem + ship = 85, activation 65, -20 with modem, so hmm. yeah, actually much less than Velcom's startup fees... Yeah actually that doesn't look like a bad deal.

And actually, add NoIp phone for 10 or 15$... Looks like we have a winner! Err... 25$ only gives you 25G... 30$ for 256kbps (32KB/s) upload... Bleh.. Else it's 32$ for 7 Mbps / 800 Kbps and 300 gigs, yeah still not bad... And I can flush Bell 100% down the toilet, no dry loop! That's worth at least 100$