spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

airtas

join:2009-11-18

Replacing a 5 year old router, are these new routers just...

marketing?

I am looking at a Western Digital N900 and a Linksys Ea3500 they both claim to help with video and gaming. How so?

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I am looking for a new router and the N900 claims it is great for video and gaming.

How does this differ than my current router which is still wireless N?

If my ISP provides me with 10 Mbps does it really matter what router I go with?

How exactly does it speed up gaming/netflix/etc?

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:4

First off, please ignore all marketing crap claims.
Then go to smallnetbuilder.com and read decent reviews of most recent consumer equipment for what I consider at least reasonable relative comparisons. I think the Ea3500 was seen as a good product but dangerous to rely on memory. Best thing to do is to state your current and anticipated requirements (usage, and network plans, ISPs users etc..) and then others can chime in with advice.
--
Ain't nuthin but the blues! "Albert Collins".
Leave your troubles at the door! "Pepe Peregil" De Sevilla. Just Don't Wifi without WPA, "Yul Brenner"

LlamaWorks Equipment

airtas

join:2009-11-18

I use Xbox Live/Stream HD movies locally and and over Netflix and then just basic Web Surfing

clarknova

join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB
kudos:7
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

If you're not experiencing any problems with your current router then a new router isn't going to fix anything.

Marketing claims of better streaming or gaming are usually based on claims to higher throughput, or in some cases, QoS. In my experience, any N router that's functioning properly should have no trouble sustaining 10 Mbps of throughput under typical circumstances, and factory QoS is crap anyway.
--
db