Teksavvy Extreme
Premium Member
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON

pnjunction to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok

Re: Very Specific Math-Based PCIe 3.0 Question

Hmm I have been thinking about getting a new GPU and 1440p monitor this year, but if this type of performance scaling is common in games then it seems I'l be limited by the pcie 2.0 in my lga 1156 system even if the CPU holds up.

At that point I might as well sell my whole system (i7 860, 8gb, 6970) and build from scratch when Haswell and the next-gen GPUs are out. That or hold on to the whole thing until next year...pretty sick of my ancient 24" cheap TN panel though.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Go for a quality 24" or 27" 1080p monitor, and work your way up to three of them. 1080p is much kinder on a GPU than 1440p (which has almost twice as many pixels).

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium Member
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON

pnjunction

Premium Member

Well i don't see how working up to 3 1080p (i prefer 1920x1200 but close enough) is any easier on the GPU than the 1440p? Also there's really no in-between steps to work through, 2 monitors for gaming doesn't really work you'd pretty much just jump from 1 to 3 at some point.

Not a fan of multi-monitor for gaming anyways, I would just want the most i can get from a single monitor. How much time do people really spend looking at the side monitors in those triple setups?

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

It's not, was just saying that I'd rather go full blown 3x 1080p than be stuck at a single 1440p. If you don't plan on upgrading monitors again, a single 1440p does fine, but do realize it has twice the pixels of a 1080p monitor and plan your GPU solution accordingly.

kvn864
join:2001-12-18
Sun City, AZ

kvn864

The other day I was at Frys reading webpages on 1440p. Realizing that my eyes arent getting any better (and this is with regular reading glasses I am using on my 24) I saw that I will struggle with text if I get the 27. Also now I see that gaming will require an upgrade. I am still running 5870 and it still keeps up with 1920X1200 24 I have. However, I think I would enjoy new 1080p 27, and this is what I have decided to look up in the future, not sure if I need/want 3D, there is still much room to research before I purchase, they are relatively inexpensive. Thanks for the feedback Chris.

bunsenburner
Cinematic Immunity
join:2005-10-11
Charleston, SC

bunsenburner

said by kvn864:

I am still running 5870 and it still keeps up with 1920X1200 24 I have.

My GTX680 is somewhere in the middle of the country on an RMA extravaganza (curse you solar activity, neutrinos, cosmic radiation and/or some other such video card destroying invisibility!) and I'm missing it sorely as the 5870 I took out of the drawer to tide me over is getting positively hammered at 1920x1200. Skyrim, GTA IV, Crysis 2, electric boogaloo, et alia, are dropping frames faster than Sally Goodhead's Teflon Jr. prom dress.

And if that were not enough, certain ATi cards do not play well with ACD monitors during POST and I must use the HD3000 in a well overclocked 2600k to access the "BIOS Within The Bowels©" (an inspired, if not stinky, Asus innovation) of a P8Z77-V Deluxe. Yowza!

Man! All this science, I just don't understand...

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

That sucks man, what company made your 680?

bunsenburner
Cinematic Immunity
Charleston, SC

bunsenburner

said by Krisnatharok:

That sucks man, what company made your 680?

EVGA. Things break, it happens, not to worry. They are a wonderful company to deal with. No hold time on the phone, and I mean one ring, no questions asked, very polite, and instant RMA approval. They seem to take customer satisfaction quite seriously and were sincerely apologetic about the card failure.

Asus, on the other hand...

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

I've had awesome experiences with EVGA. Did you pay for the cross-ship? It's worth it, IMO.

bunsenburner
Cinematic Immunity
Charleston, SC

bunsenburner

I didn't. Would have only made a few days difference. As long as Nvidia keeps designing good cards, I'll be using EVGA again.