Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to robs440

Re: Superbowl

It was the most memorable commercial for me, too. I grew up in just such a rural community. The part about the school board meeting reminded me of my Dad and neighbor doing that, and the guys holding township trustee meetings in our kitchen.
--
Buckle Up. It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car.

bgraham

join:2001-03-15
Smithtown, NY
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·Verizon VoiceWing

said by EGeezer:

It was the most memorable commercial for me, too. I grew up in just such a rural community. The part about the school board meeting reminded me of my Dad and neighbor doing that, and the guys holding township trustee meetings in our kitchen.

If it's not too personal, how long ago was that? That was a time when people ran for local office so that they could do something good for the people. Now it seems, politicians are in it for what they can get out of it.

BTW, I too thought the commercial was great.

scelli
Native New Yorker
Premium
join:1999-08-07
FLOT/FEBA
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to EGeezer

said by EGeezer:

I'm a city boy, but have always held farmers in the highest regard. There used to be a show way back in the late 1950's-early 1960's that aired on very early morning TV in NY (like 5am or 6am) called Modern Farmer and always got a kick out of watching it.

Another thing which impressed me about the commercial was it truly was nice to hear the name of God mentioned in a positive way, not in the profane or mocking manner all too prevalent these days in just about every form of "entertainment" (if you wish to call it that) and media. I'm not interested in debating the subject as to whether God actually exists or not here as did that a few weeks ago on another thread and made my point quite clear then as to where I stand on the subject. Just thought I'd mention it as yet another reason for my having personally enjoyed the advertisement.
--
The maximum effective range of an excuse is ZERO meters!

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to bgraham

said by bgraham:

If it's not too personal, how long ago was that? That was a time when people ran for local office so that they could do something good for the people. Now it seems, politicians are in it for what they can get out of it.

BTW, I too thought the commercial was great.

This was in the late '40s and '50s. We were a rural community of small farms and a neighborhood where the church, school, filling station and Grange Hall were social hubs.

Being on the board or a trustee was an honor entrusted to well established citizens, not professional politicians or businessmen looking to bend things their way at the expense of the people they served.

But the interstate came through, put in an interchange and wiped out the filling station, church and Grange hall. It was never the same...
--
Buckle Up. It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car.