how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

asterger

join:2004-11-26
Raleigh, NC
reply to asterger

Re: Shower Drain Clogged - Call a Plumber or use Drain Cleaner?

I did purchase the Zip-It stick, at less than $3. At that price, it was worth a try. Lowes and Home Depot both carry it. Wal-Mart had it online only for $17.95 and/or a clone (sans barbs) for $10.99.

Anyone finding this thread should understand Zip-It stick is a single use tool. Didn't catch that at the store. Pulling hair clumps from the drain required three insertions. Since I only had one Zip-It stick, I was forced to reuse it. I removed the drain cover, inserted the stick in the drain, twisting the stick's handle. Then removed the gunked up hair after each use as best as possible. I tried paper towels. It wasn't easy as the Zip-It stick has plastic barbs that grab hair clumps. Be extremely careful handling the now gunked up stick as the barbs could break your skin. You don't want/need sepsis. Definitely use gloves and maybe long nose pliers to pull the tangled hair off or perhaps a knife to cut it off.

In my case the shower drain is flowing once again.

Thanks all,

-- asterger

ArgMeMatey

join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable
said by asterger:

I did purchase the Zip-It stick, at less than $3. At that price, it was worth a try. Lowes and Home Depot both carry it. Wal-Mart had it online only for $17.95 and/or a clone (sans barbs) for $10.99.

Anyone finding this thread should understand Zip-It stick is a single use tool.

1) I wonder how many of those Wal Mart sells online! Does that include same-day delivery?

2) I didn't realize they are marketed as single-use but that could be the case depending on what you're pulling out. I've had mine for a few years and have used it many times, mostly to clear my condensate lines, but there's nothing in there but gelatinous goo. You could push stubborn stuff UP to the handle and cut it off, I suppose.
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
Find your USNG coordinates:
USNGWeb

Koil
Premium
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC
kudos:2
reply to asterger
I've had the same one, and used it many times, for about 2 years. It's not as sharp as it once was, but it still gets the job done...it's a great little tool.

Good point about the gloves...I couldn't do it otherwise. Nothing makes me gag more than pulling that stuff out of the pipes. So friggin gross, but the zip-it takes care of it every time....so far.

Fallen_Anjel

join:2011-04-07
Rocky Point, NY
reply to ArgMeMatey
I've been selling these things for YEARS and never knew they were "one use"! LOL