Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

COjosh

join:2011-02-21
kudos:1

Can I run 6Meg?

Hey all-

I posted my stats a while back asking the same question: Can I run the 6Meg profile without issues?

I think we came to the conclusion that it may be a crap-shoot, and marginal at best, but I'm finding myself needing a little more bandwidth.

I'm plenty familiar with conventional ADSL, and an SNR of 19.6 at 11.9k ft would lead me to believe running 6Meg should be OK, but my attenuation is well above 50...and I know Uverse IP-DSLAM has some subtle differences...

If anyone on here has similar stats and has been running fine I would love to know!

Thanks in advance!

Stats:
(Currently running 3008/509 profile)

SN Margin (dB)
Dn 19.6
Up 16.0

Line Attenuation (dB)
Dn 56.5
Up 37.7

Output Power(dBm)
Dn 15.8
Up 8.3

Errored Seconds

Loss of Signal

Loss of Frame

FEC Errors

CRC Errors

Paralel

join:2011-03-24
Michigan, US
kudos:4
You're already seeing CRCs, so it seems like going up in profile would be nothing but trouble.

Tech007
Premium
join:2013-01-25
Belleville, IL
If your at 11,000 ft and getting 3mb then consider yourself lucky, you prob should be on 1.5m Your stats will change drastically if you go up in speed and your modem/rg will drop constantly (if it even can sync at 6m)

Canezoid
End of line

join:2001-02-16
Powder Springs, GA
reply to COjosh
Per specs on IPdslam 6M cutoff is "techinically" around 9kft, depending on cable gauge.

I have seen them run green, no probs up to about 10.5k ft, so it seems like your footage based on that would be if'y at best.

Tech007
Premium
Belleville, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T DSL Service
said by Canezoid:

I have seen them run green, no probs up to about 10.5k ft

You must have some really good plant down there in GA to see 6m run at 10.5k ft usually luckly to have 3m run that good up here

COjosh

join:2011-02-21
kudos:1
reply to Canezoid
Those CRC's are from over 3 months of up-time since our last power outage, and we have never had any issues at all since having the speed bumped from 768k to 3M.

I have no idea what gauge the aerial is feeding the crossbox but pretty much all the buried around here is jelly-filled 24G leaving the cross-connect.

As far as the 11.9k ft is concerned, that's what I drove off from the CO and that's also what chat "support" confirmed as well when I was inquiring about more speed. I haven't found an IR guy recently that was willing to tell me EXACTLY how far I really am.

I'm almost tempted to pull the trigger on trying the upgrade just to see what happens because they keep sending me mailers and emails that I can get faster speed.

Anybody out there have any experience with the "Deathstar" lowering their speed back down after a failed speed upgrade?

Tech007
Premium
Belleville, IL
no prob going back down I'm on the edge for 12m and tried to run 12mb but kept knocking out the rg and resyncing. Im at 7100'(but the aerial cable is crap around me) went back down to 6m and have been good ever since

Canezoid
End of line

join:2001-02-16
Powder Springs, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to COjosh
Driving off dist really is no inidcation of physical line distance, bbt test will tell you exactly based on bit rate attenuation, if you see and I&R tech or prem tech local, just ask them to run the bbt for your BAN & you'll know exactly what the network says, it's not some big secret, takes a min at most.

As far was lowering your tier, that's totally up to you, just give sales a call and request the downgrade should you desire that & make your decision from there.

Just my 2c.

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state
reply to Tech007
It's the old bellsouth lines, bellsouth actually took care of their lines... If they work now expect them to become shit in a few years with SBC at the wheel.

Tech007
Premium
Belleville, IL
Thats what makes diagnosis so much fun because speed tests and rate & reach are all based on *Ideal* or *perfect* plant which is almost never LOL And lets not forget gauge change when copper is replaced