share rss forum feed

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

1 recommendation

reply to tanzam75

Re: I don't like the mandatory data plan, but...

The reason is simple, Americans buy everything on credit and are mortgaged to the hilt. They want the shiny new phone, but they aren't coming up with $400-$600 for it. However, those "Free" or $20 or $49 phones (Plus a two year contract) mean instant gratification now. That's the real reason more people haven't adopted prepaid.

For example, I bought a new GS3 off a guy on Craigslist for $480. I have a $30+tax prepaid plan. So, assuming I only used the phone for two years and then replaced it, that would be $20 a month + service. Contrast that to a 2 year contract where I pay $79 a month for similar service but get the phone for free... still cost me an additional $696 over prepaid--- and if I keep it for longer then 2 years, the numbers get dramatically better still.

The catch is, of course, you have to come up with that $480 upfront.... and you can't insure your phone. Break it or get robbed and you're out the money. Still for me pre-paid is a no brainer.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

said by KrK:

For example, I bought a new GS3 off a guy on Craigslist for $480. I have a $30+tax prepaid plan. So, assuming I only used the phone for two years and then replaced it, that would be $20 a month + service.

Or you can go say with T-Mobile Value plan where a GS3 costs $99 up front and $20 a month for 20 months for a total of $499 or...$20.79 over 24 months + the price of service. So it requires $380 less up front but $19 over the 2 year contract.

No it's not $30, but you also aren't comparing plans apples to apples. If a $30 plan suits you, that's great. But some people want or need more minutes or data.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

Yes, that is another option, but again you're in for the two years, pay $579 for the phone. It's a good middle ground option, T-mobile seems to be more flexible with it's offerings than either Verizon or AT&T, but of course their service isn't nearly as universal.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

notambiguous

join:2005-03-24

1 recommendation

reply to KrK

said by KrK:

The reason is simple, Americans buy everything on credit and are mortgaged to the hilt.

Not this American. We use Verizon mainly because they have coverage in the places we need it.

Walk into a Verizon store, point at a phone and ask "I want to just buy that phone outright so how much is the monthly plan cost?" vs "I want that phone but don't want to pay up front so how much is the monthly plan?" or "I have this phone I want to use, how much is the monthly plan?". Then note there is no difference in monthly cost. Carriers like Verizon are quite disingenuous about phone subsidies.