join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan to chgo_man99

Premium Member

to chgo_man99

Re: Farmers "need" broadband?

Click for full size
Still have a screenie...AOLPlus powered by DirecPC
SRS=Satellite return satellite (as opposed to dial return). I had dial return at a vacation house 10 years ago and it was great. Off SATMEX5 I saw 3Mb no problems and with it being through AOHELL there was no FAP. The only thing I couldn't do with it was play FPS but it worked great for everything else.

When I had trouble even getting 28.8, satellite was duh tsar bomba.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco

Premium Member

It's not the speed that's the problem, it's the caps. $60 per month for 10GB of data is steep.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

Then that Farmer can buy 25GB for $130/mo or way more data for way less money in certain areas, basically west of the Miss. R.

»www.wildblue.com/options ··· very-act
me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO

me1212

Thats still way overpriced for that little data.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

And living in Orange County or New York City is "overpriced". You can have a dirt cheap house with dirt cheap taxes and expensive Interwebz or a zillion dollar house, sky high taxes and cheap Interwebz. Welcome to the world of opportunity cost.
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray to me1212

to me1212
What farm application actually "needs" so much data, that wouldn't justify paying for it?
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco to skeechan

Premium Member

to skeechan
Dirt cheap taxes? You live in a bubble if you think that is the case. There is nothing cheap about paying taxes on all the land you own, which is usually quite a lot. A lot of farmers are taking out loans after last drought year.
silbaco

silbaco to elray

Premium Member

to elray
It's not specifically for farming. Yes, there is the need for broadband for modern day farming. But farmers enjoy streaming videos too.
elray
Santa Monica, CA

elray

said by silbaco:

It's not specifically for farming. Yes, there is the need for broadband for modern day farming. But farmers enjoy streaming videos too.

Sorry, but they article's theme is that farmers "need" broadband, not that they want to enjoy streaming videos.

So far, no one has put forth one bit of evidence of "need" of broadband for farmers, nor has anyone accounted for the actual population of farmers who don't have better-than-dialup access.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan to silbaco

Premium Member

to silbaco
Yes, dirt cheap taxes. You want to talk about business taxes in farm states vs California or New York? LOL. Try paying California property tax on a building in Irvine or even farmland in Irvine. Large properties here lease for several dollars a foot and have assessed values in the tens upon tens of millions. Mid-west governments are pikers when it comes to raping taxpayers. The property tax on my SRF is nearly $10K and I'm on a 1/2 acre and this is in addition to 8% sales tax, 10.5% state income tax, .36/gal gas tax...tax tax tax tax.

If you aren't utilizing your property, then you aren't a farmer, you are a landowner.
elray
Santa Monica, CA

elray to silbaco

to silbaco
I agree that $60/10GB isn't great, but it is a marked improvement over prior rates, and what farm would actually "need" more?

If that's not enough, why not subscribe Millenicom at $70/50GB?

I'm still asking for anyone, please, to quantify the alleged population and define the actual need, after which we might be able to determine an actual solution set, instead of just throwing away another billion dollars towards a slogan.