spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

lugnut

@communications.com

Superbowl Ads We Missed in Canada

Huffington Post was kind enough to stream them all for us poor deprived Canucks.

»www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/0···350.html

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4

I got them all as they came. Shaw Direct doesn't Simsub CTV in my neck of the woods.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by Gone:

I got them all as they came. Shaw Direct doesn't Simsub CTV in my neck of the woods.

Nice, but how come?
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

Dunno. They simsub Global and City, but never have CTV.

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
reply to lugnut

We picked them up all OTA since we're near the border.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Gone

said by Gone:

Dunno. They simsub Global and City, but never have CTV.

Strange... aren't there some sort of rules that they have to do it? IE sub whoever's feed that has the rights to the given program in Canada?
--

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to urbanriot

said by urbanriot:

We picked them up all OTA since we're near the border.

I watched the OTA version too at my brother's house since he's got an antenna for it.
--

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

Strange... aren't there some sort of rules that they have to do it? IE sub whoever's feed that has the rights to the given program in Canada?

There's more to it than that. They need to have a transmitter that services an area before simsub rights can be granted. CFTO technically covers points outside of Toronto and the immediate GTA, but Shaw may have taken it upon themselves to evaluate the performance of that signal (which is pathetic, by the way) seeing as how CTV is owned by Bell and all that.

Either way, worst case I switch to WIVB off-air if there was any issue.

ZombieBanner

join:2012-11-14
Chatham, ON
reply to lugnut

Using Unblock-Us, I watched the live stream from CBS.com, worked for me and I was happy.

lugnut

@communications.com
reply to Gone

They probably don't simsub you in Fort Erie because you could pick up the American originals with a set of rabbit ears from your location...

chabu

join:2002-01-16
reply to ZombieBanner

Can I use Unblock-US and watch documentary online on my PC and record it?

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to lugnut

said by lugnut :

They probably don't simsub you in Fort Erie because you could pick up the American originals with a set of rabbit ears from your location...

Cogeco simsubs everything, so I can say for certain that over-the-air availability has nothing to do with it.

ZombieBanner

join:2012-11-14
Chatham, ON
reply to chabu

Depends on the feed, they are ways to do anything.
Rip flash videos (Ie. Youtube, DailyMotion) it all depends on how its fed and such.

Spike
Premium
join:2008-05-16
Toronto, ON
reply to lugnut

Also depends on the technology used to deliver. From what I remember, ever since the day of Star Choice, they had the ability to simsub based on postal code. Bell never had this ability.

EDIT: And yeah, the CFTODT transmitter is pathetic at best. They had a very strong signal before the analog shutoff date. Then their existing digital OTA signal went to crap.

I have no idea why they went from a strong high wattage UHF transmitter to a much weaker output VHF-HI signal.

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to lugnut

Technically simsubbing isn't required unless the Canadian channel is OTA in your area. There isn't anything to stop your cableco from simsubbing anyways (I noticed shaw was simsubbing TSN feeds over american stations for playoff football the other week).

It sort of sucks. Here in Victoria, because of the mountains, we don't really get the signals from Vancouver or Seattle (I think if you had a seriously big outdoor antenna and you lived close to the water on the eastern side of victoria, you might pick up some bellingham stations).

Anyways the signals from Vancouver aren't generally strong enough to pick up where with a regular antenna. Yet they consider us to be in the broadcast area. They should either forced them to put up repeaters (so I don't have to pay for cable ), or stop the simsubbing....

I miss the few years when HD was new. They couldn't simsub and HD channel with an SD one, and because Canada is so far behind they had no HD channels to simsub with. For about 3 or 4 years in a row we got to watch the US feed of the superbowl (until 2 years ago when CTV started popping up HD stations everywhere).

Riplin

join:2002-05-13
canada
reply to Gone

Same here, CTV didn't sub on cbs and we got all the US commercials on Eastlink cable. First time I ever seen this. It's about time they stop concerning themsleves with this crap anyway.

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to zod5000

said by zod5000:

Technically simsubbing isn't required unless the Canadian channel is OTA in your area. There isn't anything to stop your cableco from simsubbing anyways (I noticed shaw was simsubbing TSN feeds over american stations for playoff football the other week).

It sort of sucks. Here in Victoria, because of the mountains, we don't really get the signals from Vancouver or Seattle (I think if you had a seriously big outdoor antenna and you lived close to the water on the eastern side of victoria, you might pick up some bellingham stations).

Anyways the signals from Vancouver aren't generally strong enough to pick up where with a regular antenna. Yet they consider us to be in the broadcast area. They should either forced them to put up repeaters (so I don't have to pay for cable ), or stop the simsubbing....

I miss the few years when HD was new. They couldn't simsub and HD channel with an SD one, and because Canada is so far behind they had no HD channels to simsub with. For about 3 or 4 years in a row we got to watch the US feed of the superbowl (until 2 years ago when CTV started popping up HD stations everywhere).

Yay, simsubbing, my favourite topic to debunk the myths.

Here's how simsubbing goes, regardless believe it or not of OTA or non-OTA. Canadian broadcast company requests a substitution of the channel ontop as they are playing the exact same content at the exact same time as the US station (hence why you saw TSN feeds simsubbed over US stations for playoff football, TSN requested it and as part of CRTC license, Shaw must oblige...they're simply following the regulations that are in place).
In that case since TSN-HD is available (...people wonder why TSN got magically moved into Basic and TSN-HD got moved into basic cable package, same with Sportsnet, this is why) to the consumer already, they can simsub ontop.

For OTA stations, its a bit different. As long as the station is in whats called the "Grade B Contour" they can request a simsub of their channel on top of the US based channel.
For each Cable company, they know which channels fall within this contour...so this occurs based on that (for the most part).

In regards to Expressvu, they can only do a nationwide simsub so you get the Canadian channel regardless of whether or not you can actually receive the HD feed...they don't have the same capabilities as Starchoice (Shaw Direct). As evidenced by Gone, Shaw Direct can do a simsub based on postal code. So back at their uplink centre, Mississauga, Calgary, wherever, they have a list of postal codes that go "Yes, we can simsub over x" or "No, we can't because their OTA signal doesn't reach that far".

This is why Gone (and myself) were able to watch the US commercials and why the trophy presentation was also not cut-off . Because for #1, there's no HD transmitter in niagara, and there's no HD transmitter way up here in Sudbury either, so the local CTV station here (in this case CICI, or MCTV as some may know it) couldn't request the HD simsub because there's no facilities here to do so.

So, the moral of the story is, live outside the centre of the universe and you do get some perks . Ok commercials but I couldn't hear the sound as I was at work...which kinda sucks, but what can you do.

Hope this was as informative for you to read as it was for me to write.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

The Niagara Region, including Fort Erie, is technically within the Grade B contour of CFTO. Whether you can actually get anything is an entirely different issue. The cutoff point in the GTA is north of Major Mac, which is amusing as that's fairly easy to get CFTO off the air. Furthermore, Fort Erie is *not* within the Grade B contour of City's HD transmitter in Toronto, yet Shaw simsubs us. Cogeco also used to simsub CTV2 out of Barrie well before Bell had a transmitter running in Niagara. You also *never* see Shaw or Cogeco simsub a cable network like TSN or Sportsnet over an American broadcast channel, yet this is a regular occurrence with Rogers and Bell.

So, even though there's regulations in place, it's pretty much the wild west. Providers do what they want. Shaw and Bell obviously don't like each other for whatever reason and I would not be surprised if this had something to do with Shaw's "willingness" to simsub their channels. Likewise, some providers simsub when they have no entitlement to do it. Unless people complain, stuff like this will continue to happen.

chabu

join:2002-01-16
reply to ZombieBanner

cannot view these documentaries because it states that it only for viewing in USA, so I thought perhaps Unblock-US can help

mr weather
Premium
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON
reply to Gone

I'm a Shaw Direct sub but never thought to check. I just watched the game directly from WIVB over-the-air.
--
"It's all coming down!!" - Mike Holmes

nitzguy
Premium
Sudbury, ON
reply to Gone

said by Gone:

The Niagara Region, including Fort Erie, is technically within the Grade B contour of CFTO. Whether you can actually get anything is an entirely different issue. The cutoff point in the GTA is north of Major Mac, which is amusing as that's fairly easy to get CFTO off the air. Furthermore, Fort Erie is *not* within the Grade B contour of City's HD transmitter in Toronto, yet Shaw simsubs us. Cogeco also used to simsub CTV2 out of Barrie well before Bell had a transmitter running in Niagara. You also *never* see Shaw or Cogeco simsub a cable network like TSN or Sportsnet over an American broadcast channel, yet this is a regular occurrence with Rogers and Bell.

So, even though there's regulations in place, it's pretty much the wild west. Providers do what they want. Shaw and Bell obviously don't like each other for whatever reason and I would not be surprised if this had something to do with Shaw's "willingness" to simsub their channels. Likewise, some providers simsub when they have no entitlement to do it. Unless people complain, stuff like this will continue to happen.

Really? We used to simsub CKVR? Very odd...does CKVR have a transmitter in niagara now?

I think you see TSN getting simsubbed over Bell because of "vertical integration". IE. its very easy...like I said, a request is sent from the broadcaster to the distributor....for things like Rogers channels on Rogers Cable network well obviously they want to protect their interests so they're going to do it no problem...same with Bell and TSN...protecting their interests...

Since Shaw doesn't have "as much" (although they have Global now, so that may change a little, but Global doesn't have football anymore so its a moot point), they're less likely...

I was looking at TVfool and I think the contours for digital have changed as according to it, you'd be on the Edge of receiving CFTO-DT...whether or not you actually receive it...just reading what I see here when I type in Fort Erie, ON . Also they haven't published their maps with the FCC for the actual contour areas, so maybe Shaw Direct is just taking that at face value?

So again, I think its just about ease of getting it done....easy to do it when you have the same company and there are synergies...doesn't make sense otherwise...except for those special occassions like the Superbowl and Football Playoffs...

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

CFTO isn't simsubbed in St. Cats either, so there is more to it than just the contours. Like I said, it's the wild west.

corster
Premium
join:2002-02-23
Gatineau, QC
reply to Gone

said by Gone:

You also *never* see Shaw or Cogeco simsub a cable network like TSN or Sportsnet over an American broadcast channel, yet this is a regular occurrence with Rogers and Bell.

But only when it's a station they own.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

Exactly. Shaw is no different. They'll simsub Global anywhere and everywhere even if there is no transmitter within a Grade B contour.

nitzguy
Premium
Sudbury, ON
reply to Gone

said by Gone:

CFTO isn't simsubbed in St. Cats either, so there is more to it than just the contours. Like I said, it's the wild west.

Weird...oh well, I only remember running the thing when I worked for Persona in 2005....had to be sure that if the football game went over that it switched back to the US feed....it takes a click of a keyboard and about 6 seconds later, poof...go football!

Good times....

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to lugnut

I had no idea why TSN and Sportsnet moved to basic! That makes so much sense! Thats pretty clever by their respective owners, but the CRTC really needs to clamp down on that stuff.

How many channels really need basic service. It ends up increasing the cost of the package. I suppose of the CRTC doesn't step in, the TV business is going to price itself ouf of the market (as giant basic lineups and forced packages are spiraling up tv bills at a crazy rate).

If I only I could get OTA here