Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to veryfat

Re: [XPPro] Ctrl Alt Del not bringing up Task Manager Window.

Just for comparison, does the usual ctrl+shift+esc shortcut bring up Task Manager?

FWIW: In no XP system I have ever owned did ctrl+alt+del start Task Manager - it instead switched to the secure winlogon desktop, from which one could log out/lock display/start task manager/etc. That was a consequence of either disabling the 'welcome screen' in favour of traditional login, or of restoring the requirement for ctrl+alt+del prior to login, I forget which.

dandelion
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
I have used XP HE for years and ctrl/alt/delete always brought up task manager. I have never heard another setting other then the task manager for that.

This may or may not be helpful: »support.microsoft.com/kb/308226

simply on the theory if it helps one thing may another but don't try it without someone else's opinion more knowledgeable

art22gg
Premium
join:2005-02-16
Courtenay, BC
kudos:6
reply to dave
Same as Dandelions comment...When pressing Ctrl/Alt/Del..it
ALWAYS brings up the Task Mgr...(WinXP HE)

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
Not if you configure it otherwise.

1. Choose classic theme and classic (not the welcome screen) logon.

2. Choose 'users must type ctrl+alt+del to login'.

That's all I'm saying.

And the relevance to the OP is that it is the user's choice whether ctrl+alt+del switches to the winlogon desktop or runs task manager. Perhaps he has a system that is now configured with ctrl+alt+del switching to winlogon? Unclear, since he hasn't says if typing it does anything, we only know what it doesn't do.

And also it would be good to know if ctrl+shift+esc *does* run task manager (which it is supposed to do, independently of what ctrl+alt+del does). If it does, then we know the issue is something to do with ctrl+alt+del handling. If it does not, then we know the issue is something to do with running task manager. i.e., we're separating the "invokation" and "execution" concerns.