how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mr_grins

join:2011-06-02
Baldwin, GA

[Troubles] PPPoE and Bridging

I have been using my Speedstream 4300 in bridged mode for some time using my D-Link DIR-655 to establish my PPPoE connection. Suddenly yesterday I have not internet access. I check the modem and it shows it has a DSL connection, but the router can't connect. So I switch the modem back to standard PPPoE mode and it connects right up. I switch it back to bridge mode and no dice from the router.

I then tried to establish the PPPoE connection with a computer directly connected to the modem. No dice. I put the modem back in PPPoE mode and it has no problems. Did something change on the network recently that might cause this?

On a side note I am also one of the many customers experiencing terrible speeds at peak times.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1

You should try ending the active pppoe session before changing the device that intitates the pppoe session

Napsterbater
Meh
Premium,MVM
join:2002-12-28
Milledgeville, GA
reply to mr_grins

Also have you tried power cycling the modem when switching devices?

Just a shot in the dark.

boggaf05
CCNA, SCVU
Premium
join:2006-06-21
SC
reply to mr_grins

Check to see if there is a firmware update for your Dlink, many Dlink routers have recently had issues with PPPoE sessions and Redback routers which is what Windstream uses in some markets. There was something "non-standard" in the Dlink PPPoE implementation but Dlink never stated what it was.