Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO
reply to me1212

Re: Farmers "need" broadband?

I am sick and tired of infinitesimally small groups crying that they don't have this or that -- least of all FARMERS. I grew up on a farm and I know it used to be hard work. The Paul Harvey Dodge commercial during the Superbowl bought back memories but today, farmers are just welfare recipients.

»farm.ewg.org/regiondetail.php

In our state alone, $557M was paid to 61K recipients in 2011. A simple average is $9,150 per farm. My federal income taxes cover the subsidies for about two farms in my own state. In total, $15.2B was paid in 2011 to 1.2M recipients for an average of $12,563/farm. Between 1995 and 2011, $277,292,054,909 has been paid. That doesn't even count the PIK years that started in 1984 by Reagan.

The trouble with these subsidies is there are fewer and fewer small family farms which is the intent of these subsidies. A lot of small farmers disappeared and now they are really big or even owned by other corporations and simply run by folks who don't own the land. (Say this like Gomer Pyle) Surprise, surprise, surprise, more corporate welfare!

If we keep crying about farmers needing Internet, wanna know what's next? That's right, more corporate welfare as the government subsidizes the telco and cable companies to lay miles and miles of fiber for one customer just so they can turn around and charge us if we use too much data on a practically unlimited supply infrastructure.