spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Upset
@direcway.com

Upset

Anon

Other customers can see my infor

In November 2012 we upgraded our Internet service to the Hughes new service called Gen 4. We have been a hughesnet customer for many years. The log on to our account never really worked quite right...but it did not really affect us, so I did not waste hours calling their tech support line which gives you a support person sitting in India.
Then January 15 another hughes customer emailed me and said they were able to see all our account information when they log in and this had been going on since November. They had contacted hughes 3 times hoping to get this fixed. They got a generic response that the tech team was looking into it and would be fixed soon. They got no fix and decided to contact us jan 15.
We have been in contact with the level 4 tech support for 3 weeks now and nothing has been fixed. They keep telling us several customers have this issue and the engineers are working on it. They are sorry for this inconvenience. This is a violation of our privacy, not an inconvenience!
I understand mistakes happen, but I am very upset that Hughes NEVER contacted us to help protect our information. Our emails, address, credit card, past bills etc have been open for this other customer to see for almost 3 months now. Apparently from what the hughes tech told me other customers have been effected also. I wonder if they have been notified. I am so thankful the person that an see our data seems to be very nice and has not done anything malicious to our account.
We need help. This is ridiculous that this has gone on this long.
I spoke with them just yesterday about this AND another issue I was having with their online Status Meter. The status meter lets me know how much we have downloaded for the month because with Hughesnet you only get a certain amount of download per month so I have to keep tack of it. Well we keep running out of download and I could not pay to restore it or see what was going on. In passing the service tech mentioned that the status meter is not working right and I should not look at it. Well how else to I track or restore my system! I asked them why they did not post something on their website about this issue that they are working on. He said because it did not affect everyone. Again I am appalled bythe lack of customer relations here! I am very upset and feel that this company is not looking out for and protecting their customers. This is not how I believe a company should work in America.
HughesNet is an Internet solution to people, like us, that have NO other high speed solution for Internet. Maybe they do not care to treat their customers with respect because they know they will not leave hughesnet.
We live in a rural area where cell, dsl or cable Internet is not available.
What can I do?
Thank you very much!

gwalk
Premium Member
join:2005-07-27
West Mich.

gwalk

Premium Member

Hughesnet at its finest.

As to Hughes, about the only thing left is to contact Executive Customer Care.

Darron D. Williams
Executive Customer Support
301-428-5500
executivecustomercare@hughes.net

Beyond that I would cancel that credit card ASAP.

I think that I would work with ECC to get out of any early termination fees and cancel any dealings with Hughesnet.

Just when you think Hughes has hit bottom...they come along with a new chunk of stupid.

I have been with Hughes for years...and they just keep getting worse.

Hughesnet is a 3rd world operation and a 3rd world attitude.

Good Luck to you.
gwalk

gwalk to Upset

Premium Member

to Upset
I posted this as a reply to the OP on the Hughes "support" site:

Another day and Hughes finds another way. When WILL this company find some professionalism ? As I've said before: Do not allow this company to have your credit card or bank data. They just are not up to the job of keeping YOUR data safe. Pay your bill on time, one time payment only. Watch your account. Contact your states A.G. when they violate the law.

It was deleted within moments.
It sure looks like Hughes has much to hide.
gwalk

gwalk to Upset

Premium Member

to Upset
I then posted another reply and got this withing seconds:

This reply has been removed by Hughes:

Sara, while my reply to the poster was not flattering to Hughes there was no inappropriate content or private information. You are doing a very serious disservice to Amy by removing other points of view. In any event this same topic, and my deleted response is posted on another site.

Replies can be removed by community moderators if they contain inappropriate content or private information. This was the reason given in this case: Hughes: ""

Have these people got a solid grasp on things or what ?

Upset
@myvzw.com

Upset

Anon

Funny! They immediately removed my comment I made telling other customers to call in to make sure their data has not been compromised! I guess informing others was inappropriate.

Someone called me a few minutes ago and told me to register again and that should fix it. I tried.....the Hughes system does not recognize me phone number and SAN number. We have been customers for about 6 years! Really! Something is really messed up. I bet more customers are affected than realize because I bet most users don't even go to the customer care site!

notech
join:2013-02-03

notech to Upset

to Upset
Hey Upset, This is a very serious situation and could exposes you to identity theft now and in the future depending on the information being displayed. I know enough about the standards and laws to tell you that this should have been fixed immediately. This is not a Tier 4 tech support issue; it should be top priority for the company. I think the US is a bit of a sue happy nation, so I don't say this lightly, but this is certainly a time when you should get a lawyer.

If you cannot afford a lawyer then maybe your State Attorney General may be able to help. Or you could try to find a Legal Aid office.

You need to get proof that this is going on. You mentioned another customer notified you. Maybe they can help gather it. Maintain a log of all communication with Hughes including numbers, names, date/time.

When speaking on the phone record the conversations. To be legally safe you should notify the other party that you are recording the call. If they do not want to be recorded tell them that you wish to speak to someone who will allow it. Unless you are speaking to the president of the company and they tell you they do not want to be recorded then do not give up. This is normally a very fast track to the legal department where your issue will be addressed.

Any company that stores credit card data must maintain PCI compliance.
»www.pcicomplianceguide.org
There are steps that a company should take when a breach has occurred. Step one is isolate the system. If the system is online it has obviously not been isolated. If credit card data has been shared then the major credit companies such as Visa, Mastercard, etc should be notified. I know the Visa contact is: Visa Fraud control (650) 432-2978 usfraudcontrol@visa.com

The fact that Hughes has known for three months and have not acted is inexcusable!

gwalk
Premium Member
West Mich.

1 recommendation

gwalk to Upset

Premium Member

to Upset
There are others but I posted on Hughes:

Sara, shame on Hughes and shame on you !

You can delete my advice untill the cows come home but the censorship is Nothing as compared to the "Standard" Hughes reply of "Post Your Last Eighteen Case Numbers" & "I'm So Sorry" and all the other platitudes you people spout.

These folks right here have it all hung out for ID theft and so on and the best you can do is cover up by censorship.

Hughes needs to take some POSITVE steps right NOW !

You being the forum "Spokesperson" and "Head Deleter" for Hughes need to get OFF the script and get these poor people "fixed" and by more than just a token.

This topic and this post is not going to be confined to just this little "playground" of yours.
This will go viral.....get your finger off the delete button and get it fixed !

This time it's Amy, next time it can / will be any one of us.

THIS KIND OF STUFF CAN HAPPEN TO ANY OF US !!!!
We need to push Hughes into something more than the usual lip service.

This company needs to learn how to conduct business in THIS country or it's potenial customers need to have a clear picture of the type of company Hughes really is
gwalk

gwalk to Upset

Premium Member

to Upset
And more if you can believe it !

You can remove my posts but you have some big problems and this is just WRONG.

You need to reasure your customers that their private and financial data is secure. that steps amounting to more than "we will be reaching out to you" are being taken.

This kind of stuff is important
Read the post, understand the risk to your customer !
Forget the PR, just show Amy and the rest of your customers some substance beyond censorship !

You have to ask yourself, just HOW FAR this company will go to protect their "reputation"

outraged
@direcway.com

outraged to Upset

Anon

to Upset
Wow... Ive been following the topic since it was first posted on hughes community and this is just unbelieveable that there is such a breach of security for a customer and hughes is treating it with no urgency what so ever...

This is why im so glad I was ale to get service under the Recovery Act and have NO CONTRACT.. I dont loose anything if I decide to cancel with no contract, didnt pay for equipment and I have the reduced price of 39.99 on the base plan.. So im really not loosing anything as all I really pay for is the monthly service..

btw..I am an active poster on the community and we have been having the discussions on the same censord topics there... So this isnt new to me..

gwalk
Premium Member
West Mich.

gwalk

Premium Member

I have been with Hughes since the switch from the 1 way 4000s to the 2 way 6000s started.

I can understand the fact the this is not cable, DSL and so forth...

This company has got worse and worse.. the more they drop warm steaming piles on their customers the more they think we should like it.

Censorship is one thing, you can only bury something so deep anymore but the REFUSAL of Hughes to get OFF THE SCRIPT and get this under control is beyond all comprehension.

This is a company who's time has past.
wkell
join:2013-02-06

wkell to Upset

to Upset
This situation should have been taken care of immediatly. The first sign of this kind of privacy issue should have gone right to the top. Maybe there is some kind of class action suit that could be brought aginst this so called company.. How do we know our information hasnt been breached and they wont tell us.. We all now know how they handle these serious situations andtry to cover it up really quick..

gwalk...I guess she didnt have any answers for my question last night. Sara completly ignored it.. Guess shes more interested in just deleting stuff.

I also noticed they cant even answer simple basic questions on there that are common knowledge... its always the same thing. Please post a case number and we MAY just get back to you in the next year if your lucky.

This company is getting out of control with what they are getting away with. It is quite aparant on thier board that the company is completly screwed up and there are very few customers that are happy.
wkell

1 edit

wkell to Upset

to Upset
Oh, does anyone else notice Sara is working late tonight.. Guess she has alot to try to censor and delete.
wkell

wkell to Upset

to Upset
What just crossed my mind is the recent class action aginst facebook for the privacy breach with the sponsored posts thing which MAY have disclosed unwanted information to other users...

gwalk
Premium Member
West Mich.

gwalk to Upset

Premium Member

to Upset
I guess this has turned into a crusade with me because of a past "billing issue"

Way Back When, they came out with the latest and greatest HN7000s modem

Well I bit the apple and ordered one up, and while I was at it, why not "upgrade" my plan from "Basic", to "Pro".
Well after I talked to "Rafsenjonie" or whom ever after the broken english I found out the hard way that good ole "Raf" put me on "Pro Plus" rather than "Pro"
So..... my monthly bill went up $20 instead of $10.

Now you see where it got "Good" was in the fact that I was was paid up at the time of the "Upgrade"
So when it was all "done" (about 2 min.) into the "upgrade", I needed to pay them AGAIN !!!!

Of course repeated calls to "Raff" and his brother and sisiters got me no where.....whodathunkit.

At last I found this forum, I learned of the existance of ECC.

I mean COME ON ! I now have to pay HUGHES 2 times per month ?

I took some time and got my docs & dates all in a row and called ECC.

It finally got straight, but......

The debit to my checking caused.......problems
The $20 per month increase instead of the planned $10 caused.....problems.

In the end, I kept the $20 increase rather than risk..maybe getting bumped to the $125 per month plan.

Those "pesky" language problems you know !

I also took that "Golden Shower " opertunity to stay 1 entire month ahead of my Hughesne bill.

I also changed out all financial data Hughes had on me.

I pay, one month early, every month by e-check...one time payment.

IF THAT UNETHICAL 3rd world "Company" ever tries to take any funds from my account I will spend my very last $ to put this "company" in the place it belongs.

I give them the respect that they have worked SOOOO hard to earn.

When I see these people doing stuff like they are doing to the OP it just maked my blood boil...
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco to Upset

Premium Member

to Upset
This is grounds for a lawsuit if it is truly as it seems, and probably getting many employees including sara fired.
rydd
join:2010-03-26
Ledbetter, TX

rydd to Upset

to Upset
I also replied to the post only to have my post deleted, guess they didn't like me saying she should contact the AG. This company has degraded so badly since I first started using them back in the dark ages.. After this seriously considering switching to Exede (SP). This is a very serious situation and hughesnet doesn't have a good track record in handling much with regard to customers complaints.

upset
@direcway.com

upset to Upset

Anon

to Upset
Looks like Sara closed the hughes forum for comments. The problem is still not fixed. How do I KNOW the other customer cannot see my info anymore? I have contacted the other user, but they have not responded to me. Hughes told me to re register....but I CAN NOT...their system is still not recognizing my SAN and phone together. I looked at the hughes forum and there where other customers after upgrading that could not log into the Gen 4. This is really messed up.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

Karl Bode to Upset

News Guy

to Upset
Have any other HughesNet customers been able to duplicate this security vulnerability?
marsh_0x
join:2006-04-25
Tomahawk, WI

marsh_0x

said by Karl Bode:

Have any other HughesNet customers been able to duplicate this security vulnerability?

Ditto

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV

diablo18926 to upset

to upset
said by upset :

Looks like Sara closed the hughes forum for comments. The problem is still not fixed. How do I KNOW the other customer cannot see my info anymore? I have contacted the other user, but they have not responded to me. Hughes told me to re register....but I CAN NOT...their system is still not recognizing my SAN and phone together. I looked at the hughes forum and there where other customers after upgrading that could not log into the Gen 4. This is really messed up.

Welcome to the world of hughesnet my friend.. You could open a new thread with same topic name and discription and then continue where you left off from over there but sara will just take it down i'm sure of it.

gwalk
Premium Member
West Mich.

gwalk to Upset

Premium Member

to Upset
Amy, I see your thread on the Official Support Site is now closed.
Considering the tone of the replies over there, it could have been worse.
The "score" was 7 deletions (2 were mine), 1 title change.

And a whole lot of people that have a better understanding of Hughs.

compuguybna
join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

compuguybna to Upset

to Upset
bbbdc@hughes.net
executivecustomercare@hughes.net
William.Smouse@hns.com

I got out of my contract.

Karl Bode
News Guy

1 recommendation

Karl Bode

News Guy

I'd like to write a story on this for the front page.

Can someone link me to the discussion over at the HughesNet forum?

I'm waiting on a response from the company.

Also, again, curious if anybody other than the original poster has been able to duplicate this bug.
nedriv
join:2006-08-07
Somerset, CA

nedriv

Karl, here's the link you requested.

»community.myhughesnet.co ··· ot_fixed

Regards,
Ed V

Karl Bode
News Guy

Karl Bode

News Guy

Appreciate that...

gwalk
Premium Member
West Mich.

gwalk

Premium Member

If you write this up don't forget to view the change log to get a sense of the censorship by hughes.

Including another one of my replies that was removed:

This reply has been removed by Hughes:

You can remove my posts but you have some big problems and this is just WRONG. You need to reasure your customers that their private and financial data is secure. that steps amounting to more than "we will be reaching out to you" are being taken. This kind of stuff is important Read the post, understand the risk to your customer ! Forget the PR, just show Amy and the rest of your customers some substance beyond censorship !

Replies can be removed by community moderators if they contain inappropriate content or private information. This was the reason given in this case: Hughes: ""

Also, many of the people that contributed have been banned from the site, myself included.

gwalk

gwalk to Upset

Premium Member

to Upset
I went over and looked at the thread at hughes:

»community.myhughesnet.co ··· ot_fixed

The change log score has changed again.

10 deletes, 1 title change, a couple of lock/unlock cycles
If you look at it quick it is almost presentable.
chances14
join:2010-03-03
Michigan

chances14 to Upset

to Upset
sara's latest reply
quote:
Thanks for your comments madhatter,
As I mentioned above, this is an isolated instance and it has been fully addressed. Credit card information was not compromised and there are no other customers in this situation. This was first brought up to our attention on January 15th, identifying the root of the problem and implementing a complete fix took the couple of weeks between then and now. Thanks, Sara
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco to Upset

Premium Member

to Upset
A single incident? That is hard to believe.

gwalk
Premium Member
West Mich.

gwalk

Premium Member

Have you ever known Hughes to be forthright and truthful ?