Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Kickroot
Java Heathen
Premium
join:2002-11-24
Honesdale, PA

Single router, can I use both a directional and a dipole?

Hey guys,
If things work out well I'm going to have the need to get a somewhat resilient wifi setup in an RV. My goal is to be able to get a decent wifi signal at RV parks that offer wifi.

My thoughts are to use a trusty WRT54GL as a wifi client with two externally mounted antennas (dipole and directional). The reason for both is that when parked far from the campground wifi router the directional would be useful, but when at a park where wifi is stronger the dipole would be sufficient.

I could then wire up to the WRT54GL directly or use a second router inside the RV.

Are there any reasons why this wouldn't work?

clarknova

join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB
kudos:7

Should be fine. You'll have the usual wifi challenges, but I don't see any technical show-stopper there.
--
db

Kickroot
Java Heathen
Premium
Honesdale, PA

Cool, thanks. I figured it should be fine but wanted a second opinion.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8
reply to Kickroot

If I recollect correctly, the two antennas are used for receiving, and only one for transmitting on the WRT54GL.

LLigetfa

join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON
kudos:1
reply to Kickroot

It sounds like a hack to me. Why not just buy an outdoor radio with integrated directional antenna and just use the aiming and power settings as needed?

They are cheap enough that you could buy two of them, one with much higher gain than the other.
--
Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and formal education positively fortifies it. -- Stephen Vizinczey

Kickroot
Java Heathen
Premium
Honesdale, PA

Interesting, could you link to one?

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8

said by Kickroot:

Interesting, could you link to one?

This would work for your intended purpose:

»www.streakwave.com/Itemdesc.asp?ic=NS2L-US

Kickroot
Java Heathen
Premium
Honesdale, PA

Thanks. You know, I should have thought at looking at UBNT. I've used the Unifi before and it didn't even occur to me.