join:2013-02-06
Queenstown, MD

3 edits

MiltonBanana

[DSL] Strange Spiking of access speeds

Click for full size
pingplotter graph
Hello,

I have DSLExtreme 3000/750 dsl service for about a year now and it has worked great. Starting yesterday at about 10am (EST) I started having weird issues with extremely slow connection speeds (my outlook client connected to remote exchange server would take 10-15 minutes to send an email, it would sometimes lose the connection to the exchange server; web pages would load very slow, then "pop" into the browser, World of Warcraft latency would show 60ms then spike upto over 4000 then slowly fall back to 150 then spike again).

I have tried talking to a service rep but haven't gotten any answers and was hoping someone here might be able to help. I have isolated my machine to just the dsl modem (Netgear DM111p).

I also have a link to a smoketest which seems to show a great deal of packet loss (though I am not sure if I am reading it correctly):

»/r3/sm ··· 94e&r=93

And a pingplotter graph as well.

Thank you in advance.

dslx_nick
ISP Employee
join:2011-12-24
Chatsworth, CA

dslx_nick

ISP Employee

Looking at the pingplotter graph you posted, it looks like the problems may not be starting until later in the routing (note the periods with no packet loss, and the hops through #8 are all showing relatively low latency), but you've only got 10 samples over a period of 2 minutes so it may not be a wide enough selection of target data. I'd suggest re-running pingplotter with a wider range of samples, and if you encounter any periods of no trouble I'd suggest running a test then as well for comparison's sake, and then either post or PM me the results of that (and PM me your account info or ticket number, while you're at it).
MiltonBanana
Queenstown, MD

MiltonBanana

Click for full size
Here is the updated graph

dslx_nick
ISP Employee
join:2011-12-24
Chatsworth, CA

dslx_nick

ISP Employee

Ok, yeah. First graph didn't have a wide enough selection of test data (that's the problem with intermittent issues like spikes), but that wider test is showing a more consistent overall level of packet loss. Looks like one of our Tier 2 techs (Alex) is already working on that for you, but I'll keep tabs on it to make sure everything goes through ok.
MiltonBanana
Queenstown, MD

MiltonBanana

My service is still not working. I opened a ticket on Tuesday of last week (#5178235). Went through the usual first tier steps (rebooting modem, blah, blah blah) finally got it elevated to Tier 2. Had to wait a day to talk to a T2 person, was told that the trouble was not on DSLextreme's end but Verizon's end and they would open a ticket with Verizon and call me back with an update.

Wait another day, no call back, call T2 support find out the ticket to Verizon was lost/closed with no resolution, told me they would open a new one.

Wait another day, no updates, call back to T2, was told Verizon would come out to my house and put me on a "different port" by Friday 5pm.

Friday 5pm comes and goes, guess what? No Verizon at the house. Internet starts working late Friday night, assume problem was corrected at different location. Still no update from DSLextreme.

Not home on Saturday, wake up Sunday morning and PROBLEM STILL REMAINS!!!!!!!!! What is going on, how come I can not get a straight answer?

I want the finger pointing stopped, I want DSLExtreme to understand that I am the customer and they are the provider of my internet. I don't care what vendors they use for lines, service, lunch, etc. I care about DSLextreme providing me with the service I pay them for.

I deserve to be treated like a valued customer, I want to be updated when my service is being out, and I want answers as to when I can expect my service to be back. This has gone on long enough, someone please respond to me.

dslx_steve
Premium Member
join:2011-03-24
Winnetka, CA

dslx_steve

Premium Member

I see that you have talked with one of our techs this morning. We'll keep an eye on this ticket and make sure the port change is completed as soon as possible. Unfortunately, it is unlikely to be worked today, Sunday so we may have to wait till Monday for it to be (hopefully) completed.