share rss forum feed

NS4683

join:2000-08-25
South Amboy, NJ
kudos:1

What animal tracks are these?

Click for full size
Click for full size
Can anyone identify these animal tracks? The shoe print in the image is my size 12, if anyone needs a reference. I'm thinking some sort of cat but the "toes" of the paw seem spread farther apart than the ones I see online.

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:4

I would say raccoon.

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·Comcast

said by hitachi369:

I would say raccoon.

Yep ... look like raccoon tracks to me, too.

»goo.gl/sySef

Cabal
Premium
join:2007-01-21

1 recommendation

reply to NS4683

I would say it looks like a OH GOD IT'S RIGHT BEHIND YOU.
--
If you can't open it, you don't own it.

dmagerl
Premium
join:2007-08-06
Woodstock, IL
reply to NS4683

With the toes spread like that, its possum.

Nightwing
This is it boys,this is war
Premium
join:2002-04-08
CT
reply to NS4683

I agree,possum.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:6
reply to NS4683

Tracks:

»fwcb.cfans.umn.edu/fwcbclub/EEOP/tracks.jpg

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3
reply to NS4683

Possum.

NS4683

South Amboy, NJ
reply to NS4683

I was thinking an opossum as well, but there wasn't hind tracks which is why I was thinking some sort of cat.

I'll have to keep an eye out when we get more snow to see if I can find the tracks again and actually measure them.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
join:2010-01-13
Dupont, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

said by NS4683:

I was thinking an opossum as well, but there wasn't hind tracks which is why I was thinking some sort of cat.

I am going for an opossum. The toes are spread out and the walking pattern seems 'wavy' (swaying side to side).
--
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war
Expand your moderator at work

Locutus65
Why bother?
Premium
join:2001-05-24
Houston, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 recommendations

reply to NS4683

Re: What animal tracks are these?

Three blondes were walking through the forest when they came upon a set of tracks.

The first blonde said, "Those are deer tracks." The second blonde said, "No, those are elk tracks." The third blonde said, "You're both wrong, those are moose tracks." The blondes were still arguing when the train hit them.
--
Today I saw something that reminded me of you. But don’t worry, I flushed and everything went back to normal.

NS4683

South Amboy, NJ
reply to NS4683

Click for full size
Since we are having some snow, I see the tracks again. This time I can distinctly see 4 prints, but they don't look much like the original ones.

The camera makes it a bit harder to make out the prints.

AndandoPaleo

join:2012-06-21
outer limits

Those really look like raccoon. Like little hand prints. Opossum are more random, like the first set you pictured.
--
ancient walking one

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
reply to NS4683

You likely have possums, raccoons, skunks, and possibly foxes in your neighborhood. So you'll probably see varying tracks.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

I was going to say the same thing - it's very likely that both raccoons, possums, and more are around. I live in a city neighborhood and have seen raccoons (some people say they live in the storm drains and I have personally seen them go in and out of those), possums (had one in my garage !), and what surprises people the most, deer. The deer may have just been "traveling through" though. A neighbor called us one day and asked "why is there a deer in your front yard?" jokingly, but there was one. Multiple neighbors down the street were out looking too. There are some small woods around, i.e. parks, but my son said he's never seen tracks in them.

PinchiMojado

join:2013-01-31

We have a wide range if critters here too. Including bobcats jaguarundi and other large cats.

ttiiggy
Premium
join:2001-03-27
Bozeman, MT
reply to NS4683

Chupacabra!
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chupacabra

PinchiMojado

join:2013-01-31

1 recommendation

We have those here too. I am married to one.

Expand your moderator at work

NS4683

South Amboy, NJ
reply to NS4683

Re: What animal tracks are these?

Thanks for all the replies. I didn't think there were more critters around other than the squirrels and rabbits I see. I have never seen an opossum or raccoon around before, but I guess there's a first time for everything.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

Coon and possums are active at night. Only time I see possums is just before I hit them. Most coons are fairly skittish of others.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
reply to NS4683

Put some lights outside and you'll be surprised at all the activity. Raccoons will beg for food.

Be aware that some of these animals are the primary sources of rabies.

pike
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC
kudos:3
reply to NS4683

Definitely not a cat. Cats are digitigrade and walk with a pacing gait
(an unusual locomotion among mammals). Those prints do not represent either of those characteristics.

BACULUM

join:2011-10-31
Leander, TX
reply to NS4683

You can always tell when coons were there. They leave behind very colorful scat.
--
Only your wallet will hurt.

Beachie
Stranded in paradise

St. Pete, FL
reply to NS4683

Click for full size
For future reference

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

What's a "Fisher" ?

Beachie
Stranded in paradise

St. Pete, FL

I had to look that one up

quote:
The fisher (Martes pennanti) is a medium-sized mammal native to North America. It is a member of the mustelid family, commonly referred to as the weasel family. The fisher is closely related to but larger than the American Marten (Martes americana). The fisher is a forest-dwelling creature whose range covers much of the boreal forest in Canada to the northern fringes of the United States. Names derived from aboriginal languages include pekan, pequam, and wejack. It is also sometimes referred to as a fisher cat, though it is not a feline.
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisher_%28animal%29

AndandoPaleo

join:2012-06-21
outer limits
reply to PinchiMojado

said by PinchiMojado:

We have those here too. I am married to one.

That is too funny. LOL
--
ancient walking one