spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Brocktoon

join:2009-08-11
Fairless Hills, PA

[Connectivity] Upstream Noise Issue or Congestion?

I've posted on the Comcast Direct forum, but I figured I'd post here to see if you folks think I'm on the right track ....

Over the past few weeks to months, I've been seeing so random intermitten bouts of packet loss that can last from a few minutes to a few hours. While this is occuring, I can sometimes see 50+ T3 errors, with the bulk of them happening on a specific bonded upstream channel. Sometimes there's the odd T3 on another channel.

I have 4 bonded downstream channels that appear to be good, with dowsntream power running +2 to +6 depending on how cold it gets outside, and the downstream SNR is ~37-38 on all channels. I have 3 bonded upstream that run ~40-42 on power depending on the temperature. When these incidents occur, I'm not seeing any flcutuation on the modem signals, and they remain looking good throughout.

When I run ping tests I'm seeing no issues to my modem or router. But when I ping my 1st hop 69.139.24.1, I'll see small ping spikes to ~50-100 ms (when they're usually 8-10 ms). Eventually these spikes with be more consistent and become anywhere from 1-20% packet loss at the 1st hop. While this is happening I'll also see a bunch of T3 errors mostly on 1 upstream channel. No other issues with the modem signals. Sometimes upwards of 50+ T3 errors.

It got so bad last night that my modem completely dropped off line. When I called Comcast an automated message said that there was a outage in my area. I doubt there any problem with my equipment as the Comcast rep said my neighborhood was effected by the outage. After service was restored, the packet loss slowly subsided over a few hours until it started up again later.

Pretty sure it's not my equipment, as even Comcast said there was a neighborhood outage last night during the peak of the latest incident.

If this seems to be focused on a specific upstream channel, could this be congestion from that channel, as it seems to happen more often at night possibly during peak hours? I tend to think it's more possible that it's some sort of noise on the upstream effecting the node

I know I need to somehow get the upstream noise level and recieve power, but none of the comcast phone reps have any idea what I'm asking for, and just keep trying to sell me a triple play deal.

Hopefully the new Comcast Direct contact can help, but what's more likely ... upstream noise, or some sort of node congestion?