Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
·Verizon FiOS

Mike

Mod

Wish List for 10.9

What are some of the things you think would be nice for 10.9? Open topic. I'll start.

Better support of smb network servers. Mounting is fine but I want an easy way to store them. Frankly Windows does it very well. I haven't seen any unix machine do this correctly ever.

A minor thing... universal PRINT TO SCALE OF PAPER. I expected this to be added in 1988 not 2013.

Active Directory plugin is still horrible. It needs redone from the ground up.

Purge the taint of skeuomorphism. It is the comic sans of design.

Built in diagnostic tools (that isn't Tech Tool).

Keychain is still clunky and a non-seamless change.

This is Adobe's fault I know..... flash. Get rid of it or fix it.

Computer in the cloud. Would be neat to log in anywhere and see documents in iCloud just like it's on your hard drive.

Better kiosk making tools.

Run iOS applications on your Mac.

Quicker / better patching of Safari. I really want to use it, but I don't want to use a junk slow release browser. It's currently the IE of our platform and must be stopped.

Bluetooth pairing is still slow

smb:/// shouldn't blow up the OS

drew
Radiant
Premium Member
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA

drew

Premium Member

said by Mike:

Bluetooth pairing is still slow

Initial pairing or "wake up" pairing?

I have an Apple BT keyboard and it's completely functional and there's no apparent "lag" on pairing to me..

buckingham
Doylstown Pa
Premium Member
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA

buckingham to Mike

Premium Member

to Mike
A better scanning utility...like HP Scan which is no longer available. It fortunately still works on my iMac after the upgrade, but I couldn't get the HP software to install on my MBPr directly due to "incompatibility".

haroldo
join:2004-01-16
USA

haroldo to Mike

to Mike
Simple stuff...

Calendar - in iOS you can click a button to select or deselect all calendars, in OS X you have to click each calendar

Reminders - greater choices for recurring items (every third month, etc.) and recur after option (for example - three months after completion)

Roll back iTunes (so it would be easier to use)

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to Mike

Premium Member

to Mike
Don't obsolete Macs that are capable of running it, just because.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to Mike

Premium Member

to Mike
I have wondered why I have to go back and find my SMB links on a Mac but in Windows I just right click and map network drive and that is it. by default it finds those drives again at startup. Also my windows machine tells me the free space on said SMB shares, Oddly OSX which is Unix talking to a Linux box does not. strange that Windows talking to a Linux machine gets that data.

Mike
Mod
Pittsburgh, PA
·Verizon FiOS

Mike to drew

Mod

to drew
Sometimes, when I change batteries on my magic mouse, it can take up to 3 minutes to pair. I'm the only bluetooth device in range for arguably miles.

buckingham - why not just use image capture? It's not too disgustingly horrible.

Calendar needs full exchange compatibility. That's basically binary. It is or it isn't.

Address Book / Contacts whatever should also be able to talk to Exchange GALs the same way outlook does.

haroldo
USA

haroldo to Mike

to Mike
said by Mike:

What are some of the things you think would be nice for 10.9? ...

slight hijack ...any guess on the wild cat it will be named for?
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

Siberian Tiger I think is still unused by Apple. has there been a Cheetah yet?

buckingham
Doylstown Pa
Premium Member
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA

buckingham to Mike

Premium Member

to Mike
Mike, I like the ease of use with HP Scan for multi-page document scanning (no multi-page feeder, however...one page on the glass at a time) as that's my primary use for the scanner. (Expense receipts...) I've tried to use Image Capture and it's great for a single page, but drives me mad otherwise.

Jimothy
@mycingular.net

Jimothy to haroldo

Anon

to haroldo
Spaces expose, get rid of the abortion that is mission control

haroldo
USA

haroldo

said by Jimothy :

... mission control

FWIW, but I hated it at first, but use it all the time now

Mike
Mod
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike to Kearnstd

Mod

to Kearnstd
Cheetah was 10.0
Mike

Mike to Jimothy

Mod

to Jimothy
You don't like mission control?

I think it's super. Makes window hell seem less bad.

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

Nezmo to Mike

MVM

to Mike
Having trouble finding a use for Dashboard myself.

Post Op
Premium Member
join:2001-11-06
inside out

Post Op to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo
said by haroldo:

said by Mike:

What are some of the things you think would be nice for 10.9? ...

slight hijack ...any guess on the wild cat it will be named for?

The rumor is that it will be called Lynx but I would vote for Saber tooth.

Ctrl Alt Del
Premium Member
join:2002-02-18

Ctrl Alt Del to Mike

Premium Member

to Mike
Now that Apple has a popular mass market computing platform with iOS (iPod touch, iPad, iPhone), it would be nice if Apple started treating Mac OS X as a power user's platform.

- It would be nice if Apple added some more options for better customization. Example: There's still only 2 color choices for the UI: blue and graphite.

- Some of the features that were added after 10.6 Snow Leopard seemed like regressions. Example: Mission Control now has all Spaces arranged in a straight line, whereas before you could have them arranged in rows and columns.

- Some small things that I liked have disappeared. Example: Preview used to display the resulting file size before you would export the image. This was useful to know how big the PNG and JPEG versions were without having to export both and compare.

I like Apple's passion for elegance and design, but they no longer have to settle for removing features to simplify the product. If people want simple, get an iPad. The Mac already has powerful tools like Terminal, Automator, and system wide Services. But then they revamp Address Book into Contacts which has a horrible UI that supposed to look like a book? I want to ask Apple if they want the Mac to be a power tool or a toy.

mromero
Premium Member
join:2000-12-07
Fullerton, CA

mromero to Mike

Premium Member

to Mike
Siri

haroldo
USA

haroldo to Ctrl Alt Del

to Ctrl Alt Del
said by Ctrl Alt Del:

Now that Apple has a popular mass market ... I want to ask Apple if they want the Mac to be a power tool or a toy.

Let me ask you...if you ran the company would you want to sell 500,000 units or 50 million units?
Not to distract the thread, but, it's inevitable that they would want to go mainstream. Appealing to the masses is the best way to go about doing it.
iPad sold tens of millions because it was simple, easy to use and "fun". Being a niche manufacturer appealing to a tiny subset of the population is great...so is $140,000,000,000.00 in the bank (at last count).

shinjuru

join:2000-10-29
West Coast

shinjuru to Mike

to Mike
This is dumb, but I wish there was support to reverse mouse scrolling without reversing my trackpad swiping.

Ctrl Alt Del
Premium Member
join:2002-02-18

Ctrl Alt Del to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo
said by haroldo:

Let me ask you...if you ran the company would you want to sell 500,000 units or 50 million units?
Not to distract the thread, but, it's inevitable that they would want to go mainstream. Appealing to the masses is the best way to go about doing it.
iPad sold tens of millions because it was simple, easy to use and "fun". Being a niche manufacturer appealing to a tiny subset of the population is great...so is $140,000,000,000.00 in the bank (at last count).

Apple has the highest profit margins of any computer company. Apple can sell 500,000 units and make more money than Dell and HP selling 50 million units. Apple is going for profit share, not market share.

The Mac has never been a mass market device when compared to the competition (Windows PCs). The Mac has always been a small niche. If Apple really wants to sell more Macs then they would have to lower the prices of their computers. The average PC laptop purchase price is $420 while the average Mac laptop purchase price is $1,400. With a lower price, more consumers could afford a Mac and Apple could go for bulk. But a cheaper Mac runs the risk of product quality and lowering those delicious profit margins. Apple themselves have said they do not want to lower prices, they don't know how to make a $500 laptop that doesn't suck.

My argument is, Apple has a product in the mass market segment where they're selling massive quantities: the iPad. And they also have a product in a niche market where they're only 5% of the worldwide market: the Mac. I would like to see the niche market product (Mac) become more powerful because Apple now has another product that can carry the simplicity at all costs banner (iPad).

Mike
Mod
Pittsburgh, PA
·Verizon FiOS

Mike to shinjuru

Mod

to shinjuru
I agree that is horrifically stupid.

I always show mounted device and Macintosh HD.
I always show status bar.
I always flip the mouse scroll back to normal.
I disable Remember Last Part in Application.

Damn Apple Toy Company....

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to Jimothy

Premium Member

to Jimothy
said by Jimothy :

Spaces expose, get rid of the abortion that is mission control

I'm used to Mission Control now...I was pretty upset at first, got over it. Funny thing is, when first got my Mac, took me a few weeks to realize Spaces and Exposé, then I really like it.

Make the iCloud functional. If Microsoft can do better with their SkyDrive, why can't Apple improve iCloud? So, basically, my files are hidden somewhere on the iCloud..basically.

RiseAbove
Premium Member
join:2004-01-30

RiseAbove to Kearnstd

Premium Member

to Kearnstd
said by Kearnstd:

I have wondered why I have to go back and find my SMB links on a Mac but in Windows I just right click and map network drive and that is it. by default it finds those drives again at startup. Also my windows machine tells me the free space on said SMB shares, Oddly OSX which is Unix talking to a Linux box does not. strange that Windows talking to a Linux machine gets that data.

you can mount as many SMB volumes you want at login by adding them to the login items for your username on your account. I've been dong that for awhile now. Just mount the volume the first time, then drag it into the "login items" screen and it will work from that point forward.

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to mromero

Premium Member

to mromero
said by mromero:

Siri

^^^^

That too.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to Mike

Premium Member

to Mike
said by Mike:

I agree that is horrifically stupid.

I always show mounted device and Macintosh HD.
I always show status bar.
I always flip the mouse scroll back to normal.
I disable Remember Last Part in Application.

Damn Apple Toy Company....

HAHAHAHA I do exactly the same thing.

Out of those the mouse scroll has got to be one of the most idiotic thing they've ever done. OK, maybe on a freakin touchpad or magic pad or whatever, but if it detects a standard USB mouse, just use normal scrolling like we've been using for the past 15 years.
Riamen
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Calgary

Riamen

Premium Member

I didn't like "Natural" scrolling on the mouse at first but after a while using it, it now makes sense to me and it's hard to go back. I even reverse the mouse scrolling on my Windows computers.

haroldo
USA

haroldo to Mike

to Mike
I wish that changes on one device would be offered as a change on another.
For example, I'd like my Favorites list in iOS Contacts to appear as Favorites in OS X FaceTime. (or at least a pop up option.. "John Doe was added as a Favorite in iOS, do you want to add him in OS X FaceTime).
The same for folders in iOS. I have a lot of similar apps between iPad and iPhone. I'd love it if the groupings (I use folders) were offered as an option so that they'd appear the same way (all "Sports" apps would be grouped the same in either device and any changes would sync). Obviously, if an app was in one location, but not the other, it wouldn't appear.
They started the "uniform" experience across all devices, I'd like it if they added more things to the "common appearance".

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan to Mike

Premium Member

to Mike
I wish that they would quick changing stuff that works.
skeechan

skeechan to Mike

Premium Member

to Mike
I hate MC...they completely borked the app to space assignments.