uniqs
zod5000
join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC

zod5000 to digitalfutur

to digitalfutur

Re: Windows 8's usage uptake falls further behind Vista's

said by digitalfutur:

In the next few years, the desktop PC will be replaced by full function/full power tablets like the Windows Surface Pro, which can be hooked up to a monitor and external keyboard for a user experience just like a desktop. People will pay more for the smaller form factor and the portability, just as they have for laptops before for the same reason. The transition to mobile devices is as sure as the replacement of CRT TVs was by flat screens.

I think PC sales will decline but not go extinct. The same reason laptops never fully replaced PC's. People still want to surf the internet, do their homework and use a full sized computer screen while at home. PC upgrades might be few and far between (as they are pretty powerful these days) but I think they'll still be in homes.

I find portable devices are great, but the screen sizes are so small. Tablets/Phones are great when your away from the PC, but give me a 24" screen with mouse/keyboard any day

I guess my opinion is that all of these devices will augment each other.

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
MVM
join:2003-12-10
Campbell Hall, NY

dellsweig

MVM

said by zod5000:

said by digitalfutur:

In the next few years, the desktop PC will be replaced by full function/full power tablets like the Windows Surface Pro, which can be hooked up to a monitor and external keyboard for a user experience just like a desktop. People will pay more for the smaller form factor and the portability, just as they have for laptops before for the same reason. The transition to mobile devices is as sure as the replacement of CRT TVs was by flat screens.

I think PC sales will decline but not go extinct. The same reason laptops never fully replaced PC's. People still want to surf the internet, do their homework and use a full sized computer screen while at home. PC upgrades might be few and far between (as they are pretty powerful these days) but I think they'll still be in homes.

I find portable devices are great, but the screen sizes are so small. Tablets/Phones are great when your away from the PC, but give me a 24" screen with mouse/keyboard any day

You touched a KEY point here - how these devices will interact....

I would be VERY happy if my Imac would simply detect the presence of my Ipad on my desk and give me some kind of access - whether its to data/files, an Ipad desktop or simply access to the apps. I dont mean 'cloud' integrations either.

Whatever the folks that design this stuff come up with - it has to be seamless and not impact the functionality (or try to replace the functionality) of the individual devices.

Who-ever gets this right will have a winner on their hands..

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

1 recommendation

Octavean to zod5000

MVM

to zod5000
said by zod5000:

said by digitalfutur:

One could always doc a laptop to have access to traditional desktop components such as a monitor, keyboard, external HDD and maybe even things like full desktop PCIe video cards via Thunderbolt,....

There are solutions and ways of dealing with things,.....

Woody79_00
I run Linux am I still a PC?
Premium Member
join:2004-07-08
united state

Woody79_00

Premium Member

I don't think Desktops will just disappear....

The hardware in Desktops will ALWAYS be superior for 2 reasons:

1. More room for better and bigger hardware.
2. More room for better and efficient cooling.

With a high end gaming laptop, you would be lucky to get a steady 25 FPS. I would love to see someone try to play Crysis 3 on a tablet. Even a really high end gaming laptop will most likely be brought to its knees on high settings. In fact, I figure two 7970's in CrossfireX or an Nvidia SLI equavilent will be required to run that game on all settings maxed at playable frame rates @1080p

Yes there is a difference between 30 fps and 60 fps to the human eye. I can notice it, and im sure other PC gamers notice it to. Console graphics look like garbage after playing the same game on a real PC.

As for cooling....compiling huge amounts of code that peg a 4 core, even an 8 core CPU at 100% for extended periods of time are going to cause tablets, and some laptops, some serious issues with heat. These systems were not designed for that kind of heavy lifting.

Will mobile device get more popular? sure they will. Will they be the right tool in every instance? no. Will PC go away? not a chance.

in fact, I bet online part retailers like Newegg and others won't miss a beat...in fact they may gain even more business. Steam sales i do beleive are at an all time high and they cater to the PC gaming crowd. PC's are far from dead folks

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

said by Woody79_00:

With a high end gaming laptop, you would be lucky to get a steady 25 FPS. I would love to see someone try to play Crysis 3 on a tablet.

but, people are playing Angry Birds..
DarkSithPro (banned)
join:2005-02-12
Tempe, AZ

DarkSithPro (banned) to Woody79_00

to Woody79_00
said by Woody79_00:

I don't think Desktops will just disappear....

The hardware in Desktops will ALWAYS be superior for 2 reasons:

1. More room for better and bigger hardware.
2. More room for better and efficient cooling.

With a high end gaming laptop, you would be lucky to get a steady 25 FPS. I would love to see someone try to play Crysis 3 on a tablet. Even a really high end gaming laptop will most likely be brought to its knees on high settings. In fact, I figure two 7970's in CrossfireX or an Nvidia SLI equavilent will be required to run that game on all settings maxed at playable frame rates @1080p

Yes there is a difference between 30 fps and 60 fps to the human eye. I can notice it, and im sure other PC gamers notice it to. Console graphics look like garbage after playing the same game on a real PC.

As for cooling....compiling huge amounts of code that peg a 4 core, even an 8 core CPU at 100% for extended periods of time are going to cause tablets, and some laptops, some serious issues with heat. These systems were not designed for that kind of heavy lifting.

Will mobile device get more popular? sure they will. Will they be the right tool in every instance? no. Will PC go away? not a chance.

in fact, I bet online part retailers like Newegg and others won't miss a beat...in fact they may gain even more business. Steam sales i do beleive are at an all time high and they cater to the PC gaming crowd. PC's are far from dead folks

nVidia has really upped their game with the 680 MX mobile GPU. Currently exclusive to the high end Imacs. It pretty much gives you high end desktop graphics performance in a mobile platform.
jamesonnorth
join:2012-12-22
Modoc, IN

jamesonnorth

A GTX480 will outperform a GTX680MX by around 4%, and that's two generations of desktop hardware ago. A GTX680 is about 26% faster than the laptop version. Is laptop and mobile GPU performance getting closer to desktop at a lot less power usage? Yes, but I wouldn't say it really gives you high end desktop graphics in a mobile platform.

Though I suppose one must ask what "high end" for desktop graphics really is. I only have a GTX 560ti, so the GTX680MX is more powerful than what's in my workstation PC.