MVM
join:2008-01-16
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet to meta

MVM

to meta

Re: [H/W] nexus 6k released...

said by meta:

Tubby, as they cited low latency (cut through) for high frequency trading you can count on it having one of the worlds smallest TCAM tables ever.

Imagine having to check N layers deep to find egress forwarding information for every packet, doing that 40 gazillion times per second limits how big the table can be.

The Gumball platform is similarly crippled with ~3000 effective ipv4 routes in the forwarding table when in "warp" mode.

3 -- not disputing that it will have limited viability.
however -- if you're requiring low-latency bits -- then what good is using a low-latency platform for access -- just to have that gain lost in the agg layer?
sure -- its crippled. sure -- it has small tcam. sure -- they bill it as the next big thing until you look behind the curtain.

however -- if you can keep your tables small -- keep the 6004 as a small pod agg -- keep only a default route up to your core -- you may be in good shape.

i'm not saying its a panacea. cisco has to walk a fine line about where this platform is to be positioned. make it too kick ass -- you'll piss off the four years of n7k install base.
make it too sucktastic -- you'll never recoup anything near your r&d costs.

i can see a use for it. not saying its for everyone -- but i can see a use.

q.

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD

sk1939

Premium Member

I'm still wondering if this will compete with the N5k (we just added a handful for top-of-rack/core use).

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
MVM
join:2008-01-16
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet

MVM

said by sk1939:

I'm still wondering if this will compete with the N5k (we just added a handful for top-of-rack/core use).

the 6001 -- most definitely.
the 6004 can -- as it will be a very dense 40gb aggregator -- but due to the throughput through the box -- it can also be used as a small aggregation.
its all based on use case, price, and features required.

you'll want to look at the deeper details (mac limits, routing, tcam, etc) for if it supports what you need it to.

just because its newer -- doesn't always mean better.

regards,
q.