All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
GirgleMirt
join:2002-11-01
Saint-Laurent, QC

GirgleMirt to morisato

to morisato

Re: Does Bell screws its reseller's customers?

So the bell distance issue is bullshit and I have line issues? Lol what a surprise.. Thats why I said bell is shit, a bell tech left a message sayin I was too far fir anytging more than 4mbps, which turns out to be 3.2 in actuality for download speeds.... So suggestions?
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError

said by GirgleMirt:

So the bell distance issue is bullshit and I have line issues?

Distance or noise, all that matters at the end of the day is SNRM and at only 10dB margin on downstream, you are pretty much at the limit. Since you are on legacy-GAS DSL, Bell has no obligation to move you to a remote.

As Guspaz and others have said, the only way to force Bell to move you to a remote (if available) is to upgrade to ADSL2/VDSL2 speeds. The other alternative is switching to cable.

hm
@videotron.ca

hm to GirgleMirt

Anon

to GirgleMirt
said by GirgleMirt:

So the bell distance issue is bullshit and I have line issues?

You appear to have a noise issue on the line.

At that attenuation of 31, you have the speed for someone on a clean line with an attenuation of around 47.

You will want to capture the stats again a few times over the course of a day to see if the noise margin is jumping around, and sometimes in the case of a short, attenuation values can jump. So keep an eye on the values to see how much they change over a day.

You will also want to check different jacks in the house. Ideally, if you can test at the demarc and pull the stats this would be best. This would eliminate your house wiring as an issue.

Normally noise margin will drop about a max of 3 points when going from interleave to Fast. In your case that would be borderline connection issues. So not worth it.

If you aren't a gamer, then stay as is.

If you are a gamer, then I guess you want that extra ping response. Bell won't go out and fix an issue like this, unless your stats are jumping around, or affect phone (if you have phone). It's the wire-pair you are on, or your house wiring.

The alternative to you checking if it's your house wiring, cuz we determined you are lazy on the previous page, is to call your ISP and ask him to get your speed lowered to a 3008/800 profile with Fast path. This you would be able to handle w/o issue, provided your stats aren't jumping all over the place.

At a 31 attenuation you should have 5-meg, but that would require you to check your house wiring before pushing your ISP to put you on a diff wire-pair by Bell. And Bell may not bother. Depends on how much your ISP can push the issue.

And that is the nature of shitty DSL.