share rss forum feed

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:19
reply to JohnPaul

Re: [Express] Should I bother with the SMCD3GN-RES modem?

The switch to TPIA goes smoother if you are changing modem at the same time. In particular, Start will allow you to overlap service if you are changing modem, and if you overlap by 5-7 days you can be sure that any issues are ironed out before the Rogers modem stops working.

If you are switching using the same modem, you will often have a brief outage of an hour or two, sometimes an outage of 24 hours. In unusual cases where there is a provisioning error*, it could be a few days.

If you are really switching, just pay the rent for a month or two until you go to the new company. Then get a good quality used modem for half that price (hint hint). Yes, you'll need to buy a separate router as well, but in fact that is a good thing.

provisioning issue: I hate derailing threads, but... arthurwinslo, maybe you know what happens Once in every hundred or so new accounts I run into a mysterious provisioning issue. The cable modem is working perfectly before provisioning, but once it is activated the modem is unable to pull an IP address. I don't mean internet IP for the customer's equipment, I mean the 10.x.x.x IP that the cable modem pulls just before download the configuration file. It seems to happen a lot on DCM425 (indicated by getting stuck on the three lights blinking stage of synchronization). If the customer pursues it with Teksavvy, Rogers often sends a technician out, which is a complete waste of time. So, I find it is much easier to just swap the modem. Any insight would be great!
--
electronicsguru.ca